Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

Hi there! My husband and I just booked our first ABD trip to Italy oct 11-20 2014. We are beyond excited! It has always been a dream of mine to go. I have heard how awesome it is! Can't wait to meet new friends as well.

We just got back from this trip at the beginning of the month. It was a dream of mine, too, and it exceeded my expectations and then some. So excited for you!

The first bus left Florence at 6:30 and the second one at 9:00pm. Everyone in our group opted to take the first bus back to the villa.

Hope this helps!

Ooh, this is great information! Italy plays a World Cup game on our Florence day and I was hoping we wouldn't be leaving too early to watch with the locals (we will also be in Rome for one, but that's much easier)! If my time conversion is correct, the match will be at 6pm that night, so plenty of time! Super excited.

I will try to do a trip report when we get back, hopefully with the help of my sister! This summer I am just babysitting a few hours a day and working on planning my disney wedding :) so I should have some time to write a report! And good to know about the string!! I'm sure one of us would have pulled it!

Normal, IL???? We are here, too! And we got married at WDW! And we went last May to Italy with ABD! You're going to LOVE it!!!

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

IASW!!!!

I agree, I would love to see a full trip report, especially since they've changed the villa. We just found out that although there are 21 kids on our trip, only 5 others are boys! My boys would really like to go to Pisa, and I'm considering a side trip on the Florence afternoon. I've researched how to get there by train (faster than driving) but I'm worried about getting back to Florence in time to catch the later bus to the villa. Can any recent travellers tell me what time the later bus left? And how difficult would it be to get to the villa on our own if we missed it? I'm sure the guides will help me but I'm trying to plan as much as I can now. Ooh, and on your Rome walk, do you go by the "Bocca Della Verita" (the very touristy Stone face on the wall that you stick your hand in to tell if you're telling the truth - my son saw it in a kids Rome book)? I don't want to wait on one of our pre-day walks if we're doing it with Disney. Thanks!

Just returned last night. Our first full day in Tuscany we did a pasta making class in the morning and had lunch at the farm. Some people in the group wanted to go to Pisa so the night before the Adventure Guides arranged a bus to take them from the farm to Pisa and then take them directly to the evening dinner. The bus left the farm at 2. It was a 1 1/2 hour ride there, they stayed for pictures and a very quick walk around (nothing else to see or do) and then 1 1/2 hour ride back. So 3 hours on the bus. We opted to go back to the hotel for a swim in the lovely pool. The cost for the trip was 35 Euros for 3 people.

:thumbsup2 We fly out next Wednesday the 25th for our Italy ABD which starts the 26th. So very excited to get there!! I was hoping to have met someone with the same trip dates, but it doesn't seem as though it will happen. Everyone will be a surprise!! :goodvibes. Did any of the three hotels have laundry facilities where I can wash and dry our own? I plan to wash things out in the sink as needed, but was hoping to get a couple of loads done before we catch the Disney Magic in Venice on 7/5.

:thumbsup2 We fly out next Wednesday the 25th for our Italy ABD which starts the 26th. So very excited to get there!! I was hoping to have met someone with the same trip dates, but it doesn't seem as though it will happen. Everyone will be a surprise!! :goodvibes. Did any of the three hotels have laundry facilities where I can wash and dry our own? I plan to wash things out in the sink as needed, but was hoping to get a couple of loads done before we catch the Disney Magic in Venice on 7/5.

Don't know. We didn't have time for laundry. Might be easier to do it on the ship. I've done that before.

Hi!

Leaving this Friday and we're so excited!! :)

Realized that mosquitoes could be a problem and if anyone could recommend what to do or what bug repellent to get, that would be extremely helpful!!

Thank you!!

We didn't bring anything. Mossies were only a problem at the visit to the farm (when eating outside for lunch) and when walking around the hotel in Tuscany.

Hi!

Leaving this Friday and we're so excited!! :)

Realized that mosquitoes could be a problem and if anyone could recommend what to do or what bug repellent to get, that would be extremely helpful!!

Thank you!!

I promise that if you need bug repellent, your guides will be carrying it. That's just part of the deal with an ABD!

Hello!
My DS (15) will be going on the Aug 7 tour with his very awesome grandmother. Could any of you that took this tour with teen boys please give me a hint as to what types of clothes my DS should pack? I understand there are four nights when pants are suggested or required? Would jeans be appropriate or should he take dress pants/chinos? I'm expecting it will be very hot and humid in Italy in August and wonder if jeans would just be too hot? Besides the Sistine Chapel, were there other venues that required the knees to be covered? Did the teens boys wear long sleeved dress-shirts to the dinners or would a polo-type collared short sleeve shirts be okay? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm probably over-thinking all of this but I want him to look nice, but not be too casual or too warmly dressed for the occasions. :scratchin

Hello! My DS (15) will be going on the Aug 7 tour with his very awesome grandmother. Could any of you that took this tour with teen boys please give me a hint as to what types of clothes my DS should pack? I understand there are four nights when pants are suggested or required? Would jeans be appropriate or should he take dress pants/chinos? I'm expecting it will be very hot and humid in Italy in August and wonder if jeans would just be too hot? Besides the Sistine Chapel, were there other venues that required the knees to be covered? Did the teens boys wear long sleeved dress-shirts to the dinners or would a polo-type collared short sleeve shirts be okay? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm probably over-thinking all of this but I want him to look nice, but not be too casual or too warmly dressed for the occasions. :scratchin

This is my opinion only :-) but I think jeans would be hot! We did Germany ABD last July in very warm weather. I think he'll be more comfortable in chinos and khakis. A polo type collared shirt is very appropriate for dinner. Hope he has a wonderful time!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

This is my opinion only :-) but I think jeans would be hot! We did Germany ABD last July in very warm weather. I think he'll be more comfortable in chinos and khakis. A polo type collared shirt is very appropriate for dinner. Hope he has a wonderful time!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I agree. Also, in our group, most of the boys wore t-shirts and shorts to dinner, even on the more "formal" nights. I made my children get more dressed up (nice pants and a polo or collared shirt) and they hated it - they felt they were so overdressed compared to everyone else. Sistine Chapel day is the only time long pants were needed.

Just realize that teens in Europe, in general, dress much nicer than their American counterparts.

Honestly, there was no way I could tell who was an American teen, an Italian teen, a London teen or other while on the trip (or maybe I have a bad eye?!. The only caveat being if they were wearing a collegiate t-shirt, jersey other than soccer, or something else obviously American. Most young/teen boys were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Running shoes are the other obvious "tell", but Vans, Sperry's, and Adidas classic style or similar sneakers seemed to be universally appealing (plus, you'll be following around an Adventures by Disney lollipop sign, so...). No one will care one eon what you or anyone else is wearing except on the Vatican city day. I took pedal pushers, pants and dresses exclusively since I had heard Italy was dressier, and even I wish I had brought some shorts and other weekend-type clothes as well, because it just didn't matter.

We had 8 boys on our trip ranging in ages from 8-16 and they generally wore shorts and t-shirts. One or two pairs of pants, 3 at the most, should do them. The rest can be khaki-style shorts and even athletic shorts. I would also think about packing some short sleeve button-ups or polo shirts, but they aren't really necessary. That was basically what the boys wore on our trip. The trip itself is very casual; the only times we "dressed up" were the previously mentioned Vatican day and the final dinner on the ship (but I would say the ladies were more about getting a little dressy than the guys). 2 of our teen boys wore their new Italian soccer jersey's that night and everyone loved it!

Hope this helps.

We had 8 boys on our trip ranging in ages from 8-16 and they generally wore shorts and t-shirts. One or two pairs of pants, 3 at the most, should do them. The rest can be khaki-style shorts and even athletic shorts. I would also think about packing some short sleeve button-ups or polo shirts, but they aren't really necessary. That was basically what the boys wore on our trip. The trip itself is very casual; the only times we "dressed up" were the previously mentioned Vatican day and the final dinner on the ship (but I would say the ladies were more about getting a little dressy than the guys). 2 of our teen boys wore their new Italian soccer jersey's that night and everyone loved it!

Hope this helps.

This does help! Thank you!

I agree. Also, in our group, most of the boys wore t-shirts and shorts to dinner, even on the more "formal" nights. I made my children get more dressed up (nice pants and a polo or collared shirt) and they hated it - they felt they were so overdressed compared to everyone else. Sistine Chapel day is the only time long pants were needed.

Thank you for your insights pihanettie and SingingMom! Much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter