Italy hotel question

TXTransplant

DIS Veteran
Those of you who have been to Italy recently...are there hair dryers in the hotels? We received our adventure guide, and it notes that certain appliances like irons and coffee makers are not allowed in Italian hotel rooms. But it doesn't say anything about hair dryers, and I would prefer to leave mine at home.

ABD has changed hotels since the last time we did this trip, so I can't answer your question.

I can tell that I have done this Adventure a couple of times and it seems that every time, someone's hair dryer got fried.

Even with the correct adapter, converter and surge protecter...US hairdryers rarely make it out alive.

We have found that for convenience sake, if the hotel doesn't provide a hair dryer...or if it's not very good, it was easier to just buy one while there.

I realize it's an additional cost, but it alleviates the hassle of packing yours (which might get ruined) and finding that the hatel's isn't strong enough to actually dry hair.

Reactions: GAN
That was my plan B...to just buy one when we get there if the hotel doesn't provide. The no iron/coffee maker rule appears to apply to ALL hotels, so I would think if it also included hair dryers, then none of the hotels would have one. Even if they are allowed, that's no guarantee our hotels would have one, but I was curious if they were on the "banned list."

We were in Italy over Christmas, all hotels were Westins and they provided hair dryers so I don't think they are on prohibited list.

ABD has changed hotels since the last time we did this trip, so I can't answer your question.

I can tell that I have done this Adventure a couple of times and it seems that every time, someone's hair dryer got fried.

Even with the correct adapter, converter and surge protecter...US hairdryers rarely make it out alive.

We have found that for convenience sake, if the hotel doesn't provide a hair dryer...or if it's not very good, it was easier to just buy one while there.

I realize it's an additional cost, but it alleviates the hassle of packing yours (which might get ruined) and finding that the hatel's isn't strong enough to actually dry hair.

Yes ...US hair dryers rarely come back alive. On top of that, many European electrical systems just can't handle the draw from an American hair dryer....

Sorry Gan,

It is the USA electrical products which operate at a lower voltage that is the problem.

Sorry Gan,

It is the USA electrical products which operate at a lower voltage that is the problem.

That's a given ...I'm talking about even with the adapter for the different voltage, they still draw too much. Trust me, I know -my wife has knocked out power on an entire hotel floor before in Switzerland. Then, because that wasn't enough, a few years later blew a fuse in a flat we had in London ...fortunately it wasn't a circuit we needed so we just left it tripped since I had NO idea where the panel was and didn't feel like bothering the owner.

........and the power surge for a hair dryer draw can cause some old electrical lines to overheat and cause a fire in the walls of the building. A large number of hotels in Europe are very old. It's not worth the chance for great hair.

........and the power surge for a hair dryer draw can cause some old electrical lines to overheat and cause a fire in the walls of the building. A large number of hotels in Europe are very old. It's not worth the chance for great hair.
That's a big reason why lots of hotels provide a hair dryer these days!

Sayhello

True story: you can survive without a hairdryer. I never use them.

Oh, you most definitely can. But I would really like to have some nice pictures of myself with my son from the trip (ie., pictures where I don't look like a troll). And trust me when I say that NO ONE wants to see my hair in it's natural state.

Oh, you most definitely can. But I would really like to have some nice pictures of myself with my son from the trip (ie., pictures where I don't look like a troll). And trust me when I say that NO ONE wants to see my hair in it's natural state.

Hehehehe. Oh, I understand. I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything; hope I didn't come off that way. I actually meant to add...but if you need one, check with the hotel to see if they provide before you pack. You can email or look at booking.com or hotwire.com, which should tell you if hairdryers are provided.

I'm sure you'll look lovely anyway, TX. You're obviously a lovely person if your son is willing to travel with you. :) Only the cool moms get that.
And hey, this what cute sun hats were invented for: when you have a bad hair day. Or when the dryer shorts out the ancient hotel's electricity.

Hehehehe. Oh, I understand. I wasn't trying to sound rude or anything; hope I didn't come off that way. I actually meant to add...but if you need one, check with the hotel to see if they provide before you pack. You can email or look at booking.com or hotwire.com, which should tell you if hairdryers are provided.

I'm sure you'll look lovely anyway, TX. You're obviously a lovely person if your son is willing to travel with you. :) Only the cool moms get that.
And hey, this what cute sun hats were invented for: when you have a bad hair day. Or when the dryer shorts out the ancient hotel's electricity.

Oh, no worries...it's actually a running joke with my friends. My son and I stayed in a cabin with a friend and her daughter. I warned them the night before that my hair looks crazy when I wake up. But, when I got up the next morning, my friend's daughter still looked at me in shock and said "TXTransplant, what happened to your hair?!?" It was hilarious.

I actually checked the hotel website, and it says they have hairdryers in the room (duh...why didn't I check there in the first place?). I just thought the no irons and coffee pots rule/regulation was kind of weird, and I wondered what other items might be on the contraband list.

My son likes to travel with me because I pay to take him to cool places. And because I book trips that include other kids. He got really good at ignoring me on our Germany trip last year :).

One thing to keep in mind Europe has different laws covering hotels and safety. Not to say they are no less safe than here in the U.S. but have different "priorities" on buildings and codes. Since there is no A.D.A. laws in Europe accessibility is not a priority as here in the U.S.. In some hotels take notice of the door widths, elevators and bath room types. The Westin hotels in Europe we have stayed are top notch and very western. Some B+B we have stayed is more local fare than you will find in the U.S.. Don't forget there are many spas you can take advantage on your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter