Italian Sweet Breads

Lord Manhammer

DIS Veteran
Italy has great sweet breads at the holidays - panettone and pandoro. We currently have a pandoro and two panettone to eat through the season. Have you ever had these breads and do you like them? They are fairly available in higher end shops and international markets around the country, especially in places with a lot of Italian immigrants.

We get them every year. They sell them everywhere here at this time of year….grocery stores, specialty stores, Costco etc. I have even seen the in drug stores. My DH has a gluten allergy and he found a GF pannetone version online. Turned out pretty good.

My mom's family is originally from Sicily and I don't recall ever having sweet breads around the holidays (or at any time really). Not sure if it was just not popular with them in particular or if it is more of a northern thing. We had lots of cookies instead.

I’ve never bought one, but I have received panettone as a gift a few times.
I cut them up and used them to make French toast. :)

I was a bit confused, because some would call this Italian sweetbread.

71.jpg
Animelle d’Abbacchio refers to sweetbreads, the thymus gland and pancreas of an unweaned milk-fed spring lamb so beloved in Rome. In the picture you see them grilled, and they were very, very good.​

They are widely available around here. I have several family members who really love them, and greatly appreciate receiving them as gifts each year.

For those who do enjoy them, does any particular brand stand out to you? Perugina made a good one, but unfortunately stopped selling them in the US some years back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter