Italian Restaurant in Italy...any reviews?

We enjoyed our meal here in August. We made an ADR for around 3:30, which was great. Still a lot of folks but it didn't seem too crowded. We enjoyed the accordian player and singers, and even whipped our napkins in the air with good fun.

Try it! And picky DS11 loved the chicken fingers (really baked with Italian bread crumbs - thankfully a slight variation from the deep fried version!).

I did the candlelight processional on 12-3..at alfredo's..

I ordered the fettucine alfredo for an app..
the people next to me had it and looked good...

When mine came out.....There was maybe 10 fettucines
floating in massive amounts of cheese....

I picked my fork up and the entire plate came with it:lmao:

Never would have known this was not right if i did not see
it at the next table...

Waitress brought me a new plate right away....MUCH BETTER...

I would try again though....
Kerri

We've tried it twice. First time there was with a very large group Christmas week. The service was horrible and the food was really cold & the pasta was very overcooked. I attributed that to the poor service as well. This waiter was really just downright rude- and we weren't on DDP (actually it wasn't around then- you know back in the days of a PS not ADR)

So DH and I went back two trips ago with our boys. It was better- but only slightly so. The service was not horrible but certainly not on par with the other showcase restaurants (Actually this was the ONLY bad service we've ever had in WDW). When my pasta dish (some seafood dish) came out it was so smooshy- think cooking 5 minute spaghetti for 10 minutes smooshy- like canned soft :crazy2: . When I found the server I told him and asked if I could have the pasta more al dente. He told me that this is the way fresh pasta is and he couldn't change it :confused: I'm italian. I eat fresh pasta often- Huh? :confused3 DH's food (Veal dish) was pretty good- but we still will never return.

Everytime we got to WDW, my DSis has to go here....she loves it....I don't...rest of the family is on the fence. Tables were soooo close together...I found the food blah....The service was blah....We can get sooo much better Italian Food in the North end, that I personally won't go again, much better restaurants for us to try IMHO. You might want to try it and see what you think. Luckily with the meal plan, that is great to be able to try places!

First of all it really reminds me of Italy! If you want the feeling of eating in a restaurant in Italy, try it! The tables are close together and the waiters are all real Italian waiters -- not specially students just waiting tables as part of the program. I love it because I love Italy -- but I'm really getting tired of the menu -- wish they'd update it!

I think the service is great! Have people had rude waiters of why don't you like the service? I'd be curious to hear.

We were also hesitant, but finally tried it in Sept 2006 while on the DDP & we Loved it!! :love:

I am also a somewhat picky eater & really enjoyed it here. I had Chicken Parmesan & hubby had a Trio Sampler that was also very good. We usually eat at Mama Melrose's every trip, but on our upcoming trip we decided to return to Alfredo's & not Mama's for our Italian fix for the week. :thumbsup2

Wanted to add - we went here for a late lunch at 2 pm & are doing the same thing in 2 weeks. The restaurant wasn't crowded or noisy at this time of day. :)

HTH!

I'm still debating whether or not we'll try it. I'm pretty hesitant because (a) hubby is half Italian and from northern NJ. Believe me, they know Italian. And (b) between the North End (Boston) and Federal Hill (Providence), we have some really good and AUTHENTIC Italian right in my own backyard.

I've seen some posters compare Alfredo's to Olive Garden...which I like well enough, but it's not the same as what we can get in Boston or Providence or even at my In-Laws.

I'm still debating whether or not we'll try it. I'm pretty hesitant because (a) hubby is half Italian and from northern NJ. Believe me, they know Italian. .

One word of caution - there is a difference between Italian and (not born in Italy) Italian American! I've seen Italian Americans in Italy that were disappointed with Italy because it wasn't what they expected. Also, many Italian Americans are from southern italy and that "cucina" is different than northern -- this is a bit more northern, it seems to me.

I really feel like this restaurant is very similar to a restaurant in Italy - but it's different than my favorite Italian American restaurants.

I personally enjoy Alfredo's, yes the wait staff are very nice to look at:thumbsup2 , I have had authentic italian food and enjoy it, this is authentic italian. I haven't been bothered by the crowded tables but I have noticed how nice it is that for larger parties they have round tables and it is mor condusive to a family style.
I hope you give it a try, if you like it you have expanded your world a little if not well you won't have that question in your mind.
Good Luck !!
M

Well I've never been to Italy, but my husband has been. As have my sister and BIL, (but I couldn't tell you what regions) and they all agree that Boston's North End is true Italian. It is definitely not your typical "Italian American".

As I said, I've never been to Italy or to Alfredo's, so I honestly can't have an opinion of those. And honestly, I'm not the type to take what anyone says as gospel, but would rather experience something myself and form my own opinion. But with all the "World's" to explore at Epcot, I'm wondering if we might want to try the cuisine that we can't get in our own backyard. (Although that doesn't leave me with too many options...so we're still considering Italy too.)

Well I've never been to Italy, but my husband has been. As have my sister and BIL, (but I couldn't tell you what regions) and they all agree that Boston's North End is true Italian. It is definitely not your typical "Italian American".

As I said, I've never been to Italy or to Alfredo's, so I honestly can't have an opinion of those. And honestly, I'm not the type to take what anyone says as gospel, but would rather experience something myself and form my own opinion. But with all the "World's" to explore at Epcot, I'm wondering if we might want to try the cuisine that we can't get in our own backyard. (Although that doesn't leave me with too many options...so we're still considering Italy too.)

I'm sorry - I'm sure I came off as a know-it-all. I just spend alot of time in Italy for work -- and in the north I've seen Italian Americans be confused because it seems so different than what they thought Italy would be.

Mama Rosa's is a little bit more like the Italian American restaurants in Ohio.

Mama Rosa's is a little bit more like the Italian American restaurants in Ohio.

I think that's why we've never had any interest in going there. That sounds like the majority opinion on Mama Melrose's.

Our dilemma in choosing an Epcot World is:

France: We've been to Paris, but other than grabbing a sandwich at the train station and eating at Disneyland Paris, we didn't really have any true French food.

Germany: Spent 2 weeks in Germany and I just don't love German food.

England: Yeah, I live in New England. I have about all the English Pubs I can handle here in Boston. And we did eat there during our trip last year, so we want to try something else.

Italy: We love Italian, but in addition to the other reasons I mentioned, I fear we'll be disappointed. (Although it still seems to be a front runner.)

Canada: I don't even know what Canadian food is. I think I've always assumed it's the same as American.

Norway: We did have pastry there during last visit. That was yummy. But what else do they eat in Norway?

China: Like I've never had Chinese before. (And according to my Sis and BIL, you can't get good Chinese food in Ohio either. ;) But we have some great places around here.)

Japan: Maybe. Although don't know if I'll convince hubby.

Morrocco: Well, that's the only other place he had ever eaten at Epcot, so there's the whole "try something new" thing.

Mexico: Another possibility. I've had New England's idea of Mexican - yeah, that's not authentic. And then I've had Texas Mexican. Big difference between those two. So Mexico is a maybe, although I hate beans of any kind, so that may be a negative.

Did I miss any countries? (BTW, we're not going until the end of November, so I've got time.)

And now that I've sorta hijacked the thread.

Kelleigh, just a suggestion, but we love France - for lunch. Decent wine list, (I know more about Italian wine than French, but we always find something we like) and we love the salads, bread and cheese (and handsome french boys, DD would add!! :) ) It's our favorite lunch.

We also love Morocco and Mexico! Go to Morrocco when the belly dancer and musicians are playing -- it's really fun! And it's so pretty in there.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hubby does still talk about seeing the bellydancer when they went. He was about 14 at the time.

I have to agree with Aunt Polly. Aldredo's is authenic Italian based on the cuisine of Rome. Which is where the orginial is located. There are only 2 other locations of Alfredo's, New York and WDW. The orginial trains all the chefs and the food is the same at WDW as in Rome.

That said, Italy is a very diverse country when it comes to food and food varies by region. It is very possible someone has opened a restaurant or more than one in your area and they are from Italy and they serve authenic Italian for their region. However this does not make them the authority on all Italian food. If you went to Italy and traveled throughout the country you would find many different varities of Italian food. All are good but different. Same with Alfredo's and Aunt Polly's point, that just because it is not what one would think Italian should be, does not make it not authenic and good food.

Same with Mexico, it is not Americanized or Tex-Mex, it is a branch of the famous San Angel Restaurant in Mexico City.

So if your group can go with an open mind that it is not going to taste like the food you have sampled before, you will enjoy it. However if any in the group thinks all Italian food should taste like what they have experienced, I am afraid they will be disappointed.

It is definitely not Olive Garden. :sad2:

Thanks for that review Sammie! Rome sounds good since that is where my sister, BIL and husband have all been. So maybe we will try it based on your comments and AuntPolly's.

There is also a little Italian place near my house that is to die for. It's a hole in the wall, but we absolutely love it. I'm going to have to find out which region of Italy they are from. It Alfredo's is anything like that, you may never get me to leave.

I think what confuses most people and therefore the conflicting reviews is the fettucine Alfredo. The orginial is made with cheese not a white sauce that is so popular in many so called Italian restaurants such as Olive Garden.

The tables are close together but I find that to be true of most all European eataries. Service seems to be hit or miss. Non peak times are certainly preferred, holiday periods seem to put stress on everyone.

The younger serve staff seem to get the better reviews. Not sure if that is due to their actual serving experience or the view. ;)

My husband & I ate there for lunch in December. We had calamari & the tomatos with the mozzarella for appetizers, I had the shrimp w/ala vodka sauce ( yummy), my husband had the sampler and he's not a pasta person and he enjoyed every bite full. We had a nice bottle of wine with our meal and for dessert I had the tarimasu and he had a canolli. The bill came out to over $100.00 with the DDE card. It was our best & most expensive meal we had our whole trip. I would definately go back again. We are going back Jan 20-27 so who knows mayby we'll do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter