It was NOT the time of our lives...but it's still DISNEY! Final thoughts!

OMGosh! You cannot leave us hanging like that!! What did the cake look like?!

I'm sorry, that can't be the fastest way. That is nuts that it took you that long. :(

Your poor Grams! She does have the right to be angry, it sucks that she has cancer! I do like her new wig, it suits her.

Grams looks great in the wig Rach!! Think that it was a great pick! I feel so bad, she does have every right to be angry... Like I mentioned before... Been there with my Pop-Pop. It was a time in my life that I do not wish anyone to have to go thru! Sending a hug your way! :grouphug: Reese

Whoa, the concert looks like it was fun! :goodvibesAw, Grams looks so cute!

She looks great! What a good choice for her. I know that she is upset right now, but hopefully the wig will help her feel a little better about her appearance. It can't be easy for any woman to lose all of her hair. :sad1: I'm glad that you got to spend time with her this weekend.

*hugs* for gram again! the wig looks great on her!

I think that the wig looks fantastic on her. I know that dealing with cancer is very difficult for both the one that has cancer and those around them that love them. She is very lucky that she has you and the rest of the family around to support her. I am hoping that the wig will give her new confidence. I know that it did for my Gram when she got hers. My DH was lucky with his cancer and he beat it and I just know that your Grams will too. She is a very strong woman and feeling angry is just her way of dealing with everything that she is going through. It does get better, I promise.:hug:

I think your gram looks good. Why is she angry....about the wig?

That doesn't even look like a wig at all- it looks very natural. She looks great!
I hope her health improves quickly & I also hope you feel better soon.

Grams looks GREAT! I love the new do! Very chic! Thanks for sharing her courageous journey - she has every right to be angry, and some times anger can fuel us to extraordinary measures! Rock on Grams!

She really does look great!! How has she been doing? Has the FABULOUS wig help to lift her spirits? I hope so. I'm rootin' for her!QUOTE]

Grams looks really really good with the new "Do"!!I'm keeping her in my thoughts!!

Hi Rach! Gram's wig looks great. Can't tell it's a wig. The style is great!! I'm happy she found one she's comfortable in :)

Grams looks great in her new wig :goodvibes I second MrsSpratt Rock on Grams! You're all in my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Hi there! :) Grams looks stylin' with her new do! :hug: She is beautiful!!

I love that wig on your Grams... I'm glad she was able to find something she likes!

Thanks everyone!!!:grouphug:

The wig looks amazing on her. She really needed this, with the huge weight loss she's feeling very insecure with her apperance.:sad2: Although it wasn't my choice during her first appointment... it's very similar color and style that she wore prior to her hair loss (I was always trying to convince her to grow her hair long):laughing::headache: But i could never succeed. She likes it kept short. I couldn't get over how real it looked myself...it even kinda feels real just a little dry. I think now that she has it she'll start going to church again on a regular basis... for now we've been watching Church of Rock on the television.

She's angry...but she doesn't know who to be angry with God, herself or the family drama. It breaks my heart to see her crying. I try to remind her that nothing she has done in her life would make her deserve such pain and illness... but i dont think she believes me. I told her before we left on our last visit that i posted about her in my blog... and that tons of people were prayer for her. *** I"ve now decided i'm going to print this blog out and give it to her.. I want her to see that everyone is praying for her.. and she's gonna make it through it.. even if she has to take it one day at a time.

don't leave us waiting! i want to see what this cake looks like... crossing my fingers it was somewhat decent?! but I have a feeling that won't help :(

I'm going to post a picture of our custom cake... I'll try to post an update this evenin!!

uh oh... doesnt sound like the next installment is gunna be a happy one!

:sad1:

What a Cliffhanger!!!

I feel like this is the season finale and the car blew up and I have to wait until next season to find out who survives and how!

:happytv:

Also-Your Gran looks great!

:laughing: I honestly don't mean to leave yous with a cliffhanger..I"m sorry. I"m just trying to write things in order of things going down hill:

1. hair and make up late
2. hated the outcome
3. rained during our photoshoot
4. took FOREVER to get park tickets
5. late for cake pick up

Oh no! I can't believe it took over an hour to get from POP to the Boardwalk. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at this point that you even got a cake.

I know.. I thought that was long... :confused3 I dont know!! We def. get the cake.... It was delicious!!!

It's insane that it took so long to get the darn tickets on your card! I can't believe this trip!! It's like everyone is just screwing up!

Ugh....i'm scared to see the cake.:hug:

I KNOW... That was so long.... We are so disappointed in the Customer Service.

Will we be seeing a real picture of the actual cake, or will it be a dramatic representation by a drag queen cake?:lmao:

I hope this comment wasn't made with a rude intent. It was not a "dramatic representation by a drag queen". I posted that picture because that is exactly what my eyes look like, over done with make up caked on. I felt completely fake, Not something I am used too! It's how I felt.....

We didn't purchase a 'fake' cake. Of course i'm going to share photos of the actually cake, they did a great job. The chef's work was amazing, they are extremely talented. :goodvibes

OMG!! I can not even imagine what you are going to say next!! :eek: I am anxiously waiting for the next installment!

I'll try to post tonight.. I"d like to move on from this day!! I have kelly here and we've been hanging out... I hate to sit on the comp. while she's here...

OMGosh! You cannot leave us hanging like that!! What did the cake look like?!

I'm sorry, that can't be the fastest way. That is nuts that it took you that long. :(

The cake looked exactly like the photos.. it was perfect!!! There's NO WAY that is the fastest way... geez....:eek:

I just gave everyone a brief history so hopefully they’re won’t be any confusing about this next post. The bakery didn’t look open form the outside… but we opened the door and walk in.....… MmmMMMM… Cake!!! I was sooo excited to surprise Dbf:yay:, It’s always so hard to do. It’s hard to surprise Dbf partially because I can’t keep a secret and partially because he always figures things out some way some how. We were the only ones in there and we went straight to the counter. A mid-40 year old man was working the counter and here is how our interaction went:

ME- “ Hi There”

MAN- “Hi”

ME- “ Were here to pick up a custom cake, under the name Horvat”

Man stands there completely confused, starring at us.

ME- “Good evening, I ordered a 10” custom cake with the Chef and I’m here to pick it up. I was told it’s under the last name of H-O-R-V-A-T”

Man stands there confused, then picks up a sheet of paper… looks at me

MAN- “What does it look like? We don’t have a custom cakes here”

ME- “Ahhh…I was told you would be able to find the cake using my last name, Horvat”

Man stands there looks at the sheet of paper, puts it down on the counter and says

MAN- “What does it look like?”

DBF- “It’s a 10” Disney themed cake”

I now start to panic because Dbf is telling him the incorrect information.

ME- “I don’t understand why you can’t get the cake out of your fridge with my last name?”

Man stares at us…picks up the paper, reads it over.

MAN- “What does it look like?”

DBF(while hand gesturing) – “It’s a 10” Disney themed……..

MAN- “What does it say on it?”

Now, I’m really panicking. Not only is the man not really understanding the English language, dbf is trying to explain to him the wrong cake and he now wants to know what is written on the cake.

ME- “ It’s white with red and black stripes and silver accents.”

MAN- “Okay”

At this point, the man was so confused. I don’t personally think he couldn’t really understand English, he couldn’t find my name on the master list of cakes (or whatever that sheet was) and he needed to know what the cake looked like in order to get it out of the fridge. At this point, Dbf is still trying to explain that stupid Disney themed cake because he’s trying so hard to get me my cake so something goes right this evening so at this point… I had to break down and tell him…

ME- “ It’s a rock n’ roll themed cake with white, red and black stripes using silver accents and a 3D guitar written ENJOY THE SHOW”

MAN- “Oh, okay”

DBF- “WHAT, what is going on, enjoy the show, rachie?”

Man leaves to get cake. I burst out in tears. Young women who has been watching/listening behind the counter walks over.

WOMEN- “Can I help you? Are you okay?”

DBF- “What cake is that? You showed me a picture of the Disney cake! Rachie- don’t cry, it’s okay. It’s still a surprise Hun, when did you do this?”

ME- “ I’m here to pick up a cake under the last name of Horvat”

Women picks up the sheet of paper, looks at it and grabs a pencil to scratch off MY LAST NAME. I asked her if you could find my cake via my last name, she told me yes. I then proceed to explain to her that the whole surprise for Dbf and that now it was now ruined. It took the man all of 2 minutes to get my cake from the freezer.

At this point, I handed over the tickets to Dbf who by now knew what was going on, obviously and I was in tears. The young women apologize. She was just as shocked at what just happened as Dbf.

The surprised was ruined. The lack of sleep the night prior, the long day of traveling, the disappointment with hair and make up, rain during our photos, lack of competent customer service at the concierge desk and a long hour and ten minute bus ride… brought me to my melt down where I just cried.:sad1: Everything that I had planned for this day was RUINED… and it felt like all my frustration was coming out now in the bakery.

I’m a person who loves from my toes up and hurts from my toes up… I was so devasted. Dbf kept assuring me that he was still surprised because he had no idea.. and I had still finally managed to surprise him.

During this time,

Man is trying to get the cake in a box. Young women stops manager in a pink shirt as he walks bv and clearly explains to him the situation. Manager asks the Man if anything is wrong? He clearly can see me crying, Man says nothing is wrong. Manager looks in our direction, laughs and walks away.

I AM NOT EXGAGERATING, He laughed at us. Dbf is pissed off and not impressed.

Now the cake is kind of in a box, young women and an older woman come over to hand the cake to Dbf and apologize. We leave the bakery via cab and head back to the hotel…..when it starts to rain.

Here are the photos of the cake:

It turned out beautifully, exactly what I had requested. It tasted delicious.

DisneyAugust2009134.jpg

DisneyAugust2009137.jpg

DisneyAugust2009144.jpg

Here are the ‘fake’ tickets I made because I didn’t want to travel with the real ones:

DisneyAugust2009139.jpg

Side note: AFTER ALL THAT, the Aerosmith concert was officially cancelled this weekend. I should see a credit on my C/C early next week.

Oh my gosh, you are seriously having bad luck this trip. :hug: How the heck can you mess up your job if you do it all day long (both the conceirge lady and at the bakery)?!

But, the cake does look great!

OMG the concert ended up getting cancelled?! :guilty:

Grr...I hate incompetent CMs!! Obviously your name was there...was he blind?!

The cake is beautiful though...and it sounds like Dbf was defintiely surprised. Sadly I heard the tour was cancelled too. My friend is a HUGE Aerosmith fan. :(

Oh.....my.....goodness. I can't even imagine how you felt after dealing with all of that, one thing after the other. :hug:

I heard something about Aerosmith cancelling their concerts recently (maybe b/c Steven Tyler fell or something??) but for some reason didn't put two and two together. Maybe it's best that it got cancelled---maybe now you can plan another surprise on your home turf and have it all work out this time.

On the upside (if there is one), the cake was beautiful! You should definitely post it on the Restaurant Board Cake Chatter thread. I'm glad it was tasty too, at least you got to enjoy something.

Hopefully the rest of the weekend starts to turn around. Looking forward to hearing more, and hopefully cheerier, things. :surfweb:

Oh goodness! I almost started crying with you!! That is horrible! You put a lot of time and thought into that and someone that was incompetant ruined it for you. Even though DBF said he was still surprised, it was not the way that you imagined and that's what stinks! I'm so sorry! I was also very upset about the concerts being cancelled! This is the second time DH and I have had Aerosmith tickets in the past few years and they have cancelled! I am beginning to think I should just give up on them!

Subbing, have to hear the rest of this trip, but I have to admit Im kinda scared since we will be at POP in 17 days. :scared1:

Just joining...so sorry to hear about all your troubles! I can't believe after all you went through to get that cake the concert was canceled! :eek:

And let your grams know that she looks fantastic in her new wig. She looks like a very strong lady and she's lucky to have you by her side through all this! :grouphug:

Aww Rach I'm so sorry. I can feel your pain, it makes me so sad. The cake turned out great though. I can't believe the concert was cancelled!!!!!! UGH.

Girl,
WOW! I can't believe it! All that effort! At one point I was expecting you saying that the colors were wrong, the flavor terrible and it started to melt on your way back to the hotel!!! At least the cake was perfect!

I'm a HUGE Aerosmith fan too! So sad that at the end, it got canceled!!

Oh my goodness at this point i'd have thrown the cake at the CM and the rude manager! :hug: But the cake was beautiful and i'm sure DBF was still very suprised.

OMG- I hope you wrote to WDW about your experiences during this trip! Man- this is only day 1, too?!?!? I hope it gets better!!! Sorry the concert was cancelled. That's awful. :hug:

I would have had your exact same reaction. I would have been freakin' out when he was telling him the wrong cake. I hate incompetent people!

At least the cake tasted good and this day is over! I hope the rest of the trip is a lot better.

Oh no! I can't believe that CM ruined your surprise and then the manager laughed at you - that is crazy! :mad: You weren't kidding when you said you had a rough trip. I sincerely hope things get better from this point on. :hug:

On a happier note, I love your Gram's new wig! She looks darling. :goodvibes

I am so sorry to hear about all the mishaps with your trip! I'd would have had a meltdown, too! I love to surprise people and if the surprise is ruined -- what a huge letdown! I was thinking of you when I heard that Aerosmith had to cancel the rest of the tour. :guilty:

And your Gram looks wonderful in her new wig! Glad that it lifted her spirits! :thumbsup2

OMG!!! That makes me sooooo sad on how that surprise turned out. I don't blame you for crying one bit... what was with that CM? First day maybe? If not, what in the world was he doing there????

That cake looks awesome! I'm glad that turned out the way you wanted at the least. And I saw on the news a few days ago about the tour being cancelled... did they ever say why? I only saw it without any volume so now I am curious.

So sorry about that :hug:

I can't believe the treatment that you recieved. That is terrible. I would have asked to speak with that manager right away. I wonder how many times the guy at the bakery has done this and how many times it will happen int he future if his manager does not know it is happening. I am a firm believer that you have to let a manger know whent he service is bad or good. If no one tells them what is going on, most of the time they have no idea.
But on a good note, the cake looked fabulous! Even better than I pictured it! It is too bad that the concert got cancelled, but you have to remember that DBF was still suprised. Maybe not at the perfect moment...but still you did manage to keep it from him. I am sure that he still appreciated it just as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter