• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It Never Ends

ILUVALASKA

DIS Veteran
Another day, another shooting in our wonderful country. Three dead in Las Vegas Walmart/restaurant a few minutes ago.

I do a tally every morning as to how many were shot in Los Angeles the night before. it is really getting old.

It is so sad, breaks my heart, to target the police, then take their weapons. Then the cowards take their own life. Love to the families.

Yes, it is just sad. In Chicago, there were 30 people shot, and 4 fatalities just this weekend. It really is out of control.

We also have the "pleasure" of the right-to-carry" nuts marching around everywhere with their assault rifles. They really got some people going when some of them decided to hang in the baby department in a Target store recently.

My heart goes out to the victims.

We also have the "pleasure" of the right-to-carry" nuts marching around everywhere with their assault rifles. They really got some people going when some of them decided to hang in the baby department in a Target store recently.

How many people did these "right-to-carry" nuts shoot in the Target. The answer is zero. While I don't agree with their tactics they are well within the law to do so. These aren't the people we need to be worrying about.

As bad as things are, the good news is these things have been trending downward for the past 40 years. We can only hope that continues.

I do a tally every morning as to how many were shot in Los Angeles the night before. it is really getting old.

Violence is bad all over the place, it's horrible.

This sounds like such a depressing thing to do every day to start your day...

How many people did these "right-to-carry" nuts shoot in the Target. The answer is zero. While I don't agree with their tactics they are well within the law to do so. These aren't the people we need to be worrying about.

I agree with you.

I just took a CPL (concealed permit license) class in April, got my certification and I am now legal to carry a concealed pistol, which I do sometimes. DH has had his for years and his sisters decided they wanted to take the class so I took it with them and our daughter as well.

Our instructor was a police chief. He even told us when he stops someone if they hand over their CPL along with their driver's license he knows he hasn't stopped some crazy person with a gun. You have to go through a background check and you can't have felonies, mental issues, etc. in order to get your CPL.

I mostly "carry" when I'm up north as we do have wild animals up there and I want to protect myself when I go hiking. But I have carried at home too, even into stores. No one knows, it's concealed. You'd probably be surprised at how many regular citizens conceal nowdays.

And it's not the ones with the licenses you have to worry about. It's the nut cases like the ones we're just hearing about from Las Vegas. :(

Unless they had special permits or were in the military they were not "marching around everywhere with their assault rifles"
We had the same thing around here in my home state, a prominate furniture company decided to allowed concealed carry and the nutso's started about how there were going to be gunfights over a couch.:lmao: As samcro said, the concealed carry people are not the ones I would be worried about.

Planogirl is correct. Texas is looking at a huge push to allow full on open carry everywhere. "Long arms" are already legal to open carry in Texas. They are not walking around with concealed weapons after taking a class. They are walking around inside restaurants, stores, and other areas where families with children gather with rifles slung over their shoulders. I don't know these people--why on earth would I trust them around myself or my children with a loaded weapon? Sorry, but I don't choose to shop or eat next to someone with a potentially loaded rifle swinging around. I grew up in a hunting family and was around guns my whole life. When not in use, their guns were secured and away from children. To me, all this open carry is just an accident waiting to happen. Take the class, secure your weapon, walk around concealed all you want, but don't expect people to want to be sitting next to a group of twenty in a restaurant with guns slung over your shoulders knocking into the waitstaff's knees. Concealed carry is totally different from what's happening in Texas.

SAMCRO said:

How do I know if the guy with the shotgun slung across his back in Target is sane or not? I walk into a store or restaurant and people are in there with long guns openly displayed (even if simply as a show of " because I CAN") and I'm leaving.

Planogirl is correct. Texas is looking at a huge push to allow full on open carry everywhere. "Long arms" are already legal to open carry in Texas. They are not walking around with concealed weapons after taking a class. They are walking around inside restaurants, stores, and other areas where families with children gather with rifles slung over their shoulders. I don't know these people--why on earth would I trust them around myself or my children with a loaded weapon? Sorry, but I don't choose to shop or eat next to someone with a potentially loaded rifle swinging around. I grew up in a hunting family and was around guns my whole life. When not in use, their guns were secured and away from children. To me, all this open carry is just an accident waiting to happen. Take the class, secure your weapon, walk around concealed all you want, but don't expect people to want to be sitting next to a group of twenty in a restaurant with guns slung over your shoulders knocking into the waitstaff's knees. Concealed carry is totally different from what's happening in Texas.

I don't really disagree, but it's really another topic altogether from what OP brought up.

Nuts like the people in Vegas or always going to be here, they will find ways to get their weapon of choice either through legal or illegal channels since they don't care and have their own agendas. It just makes me sad that we now have to live in a country where it seems like everyday we hear about another nut job.

I have no issues with people owning guns or concealed carry. I do not like the open carry. First, how do I know the person walking into a store etc has a license to carry? I don't. Right now if I saw someone walk in carrying a gun I am going to know to try and move my butt and hide. Open carry? No idea. Maybe I am biased since I was robbed at gun point and when you have gun pointed at you it changes your perception on things.

I know that guns are not the evil and end of civilization and a person who wants to kill people will do it with a gun, knife, or whatever they want to use. I just will not feel comfortable trying to live my life when people are walking around in public carrying guns in the open.

I don't really disagree, but it's really another topic altogether from what OP brought up.

You are right, it is. :flower3: Not to go even more OT than I already have, but I guess I should have quoted the post that I was responding to for clarity. A post said people were not marching around with assault rifles, and I was verifying that, yes, in Texas, people ARE most certainly walking around with "rifles" (I have no idea what constitutes an assault rifle, so I will just stick with the term "long arm") because I've seen it in person repeatedly lately.

You are right, it is. :flower3: Not to go even more OT than I already have, but I guess I should have quoted the post that I was responding to for clarity. A post said people were not marching around with assault rifles, and I was verifying that, yes, in Texas, people ARE most certainly walking around with "rifles" (I have no idea what constitutes an assault rifle, so I will just stick with the term "long arm") because I've seen it in person repeatedly lately.

Well, since we're off topic, by definition, an "assault rifle" is capable of selective fire - in other words, "full-auto". What many call "assault rifles" are more correctly "assault STYLE rifles". In other words, ordinary guns that are meant to look like assault rifles :)

True assault rifles have been regulated since 1934 and have become nearly impossible to obtain since 1986.

My point is that like a PP said, I don't know if someone who walks into a business with an assault rifle is there to shoot or just show that they can carry. Shootings are way too common nowadays and I don't want to see open carry people just drive up the fear factor.

If this is off topic, I apologize.

These threads usually go WAY off course at some point, so I probably shouldn't have made a deal about that :goodvibes

I will say I disagree with the open carry movement. I understand their intent. If a potential shooter walks in & sees 6 armed guys there, he may decide to take his crimes elsewhere.

But, as mentioned, the sight of guns makes people uneasy for a variety of reasons. And it's difficult to secure a rifle or shotgun while eating. Also difficult to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction unless slung. So, not a terrific idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter