It is getting tougher and tougher to feed our picky HFA son at Disney!

For anyone who thinks that a person will eat anything if they are hungry enough, I will GLADLY let you take my HFA (high functioning autistic/asperger's) son out to dinner and see how you make out! :rolleyes1
Jill

If your 12 year old son is throwing a fit because his pasta isn't shaped exactly as he expected, then he is NOT high-functioning. Sorry. I've known many children and adults with Aspergers and Austism, and anyone HF can handle something like that with your guidance and help. There are special vacation spots for families with more serious cases, maybe you should look into those?

Plus, disabled or not, I think the offerings for children have really gone downhill. We're on VACATION! Vacation should be filled with comfort food, tasty snacks, and OK, one or two healthy options don't hurt. But the whole point of a vacation is to enjoy yourself, not deprive yourself. Just try to imagine how we adults would feel if there were maybe a half dozen choices of what to eat resort wide, and those choices fell at the bottom end of the tasty spectrum. How happy would we be?

You seem to making the assumption that healthy food is not tasty. You are so very wrong. Those of us used to healthy eating *loathe* the taste of fatty, greasy foods and don't consider chicken nuggets or chili dogs a "treat". As one poster pointed out, kids encouraged to be adventurous eaters at home will be disappointed with the typical kids menu, so they really cannot please everyone.

My kid is very picky as well. He will not eat just because he's hungry. It will not happen. When we went to Kona in December they had nothing on the menu that he would eat. So I went downstairs and got some chicken nuggets and brought them up to Kona.

I wish I didn't have to do that, but there was no way I was going to let him go hungry becuase they didn't have chicken nuggets, grilled cheese or pizza, all things we used to be able to get at any Disney sit down in the past.

But you DON'T have to do that!!! This is exactly what is wrong- you are taking time out from your meal to run to a different restaurant just to please an overly picky child! If you stopped doing that, he would be MUCH more likely to eat what is offered or available. My parents generation would have expected a little more gratitude (you know, there are starving kids in Africa, yada yada), but this generation of parents. . .:sad2:

Tell us, does this method work with your own child(ren)?

I had the good sense to avoid that particular burden, but I can't help but notice how hard parents today make it on THEMSELVES by letting the children run the households. It really is sad and the children will be the ones to suffer for it. They're in for a rude awakening when it finally hits them that the world doesn't bend to their will.

I wish you all good luck and happy travels.

If your 12 year old son is throwing a fit because his pasta isn't shaped exactly as he expected, then he is NOT high-functioning. Sorry. I've known many children and adults with Aspergers and Austism, and anyone HF can handle something like that with your guidance and help. There are special vacation spots for families with more serious cases, maybe you should look into those?

Actually, this is not unusual for a child on the spectrum...even the high end of it! Feel free to research autism and see how widely the children on the spectrum can vary. And guidance works well in a controlled environment...Disney isn't exactly a well controlled environment.

Are you an educator of children on the Autism spectrum? Do you have family members on the spectrum?

I am and I do....

OP...I'm dreading this fall's trip with my 7 yo. But if I have to order soemthing for myself that I don't particularly want...but that my son will eat...i'll do that and just be glad I won't see a meltdown due to hunger!
tara

All I can say is thank God my boys aren't picky! They eat everything- probably b/c if I make it for dinner they either eat it or wait for breakfast. Just my rules- starving one night won't kill them... Of course I don't make brussle spouts and liver everyday (yuk!)

OK, I waited a while trying to decide if I should bother responding but I must say it has gotten under my skin enough that I couldn't resist. The fact that you know "many" adults and children with Aspergers and Autism doesn't mean you know this OP's child or my DS7. If you truly knew many you would know that the spectrum is broad and food issues are extremely common. I wish I knew many people with Aspergers and Autism, I could use the support.

It is likely that the OP's DS was looking forward to the comfort of a known meal after a very over-stimulating day and to find that it was gone from the menu would cause great distress.

I for one will say I'm glad that you decided to not "burden" yourself with children. There are special vacation spots for childless people too, perhaps you should look into those.

My kid is very picky as well. He will not eat just because he's hungry. It will not happen. When we went to Kona in December they had nothing on the menu that he would eat. So I went downstairs and got some chicken nuggets and brought them up to Kona.

I wish I didn't have to do that, but there was no way I was going to let him go hungry becuase they didn't have chicken nuggets, grilled cheese or pizza, all things we used to be able to get at any Disney sit down in the past.

Maybe you could try asking the server if a grilled cheese could be made for your ds next time. This usually works for me. When you think about it, they have to have bread and cheese in the kitchen so why not?. Anyway, I've never been told no so it might be worth a shot.

I feel your pain. Our son has hypoglycemia. We've worked with him for years, haven't ever catered to him. He's still picky and I am anticipating some struggles at Disney.

While we've never catered to DS's whims, he did get sick a few times from his blood sugar bottoming out. We had to learn how to get him enough protien and foods that he would eat without catering to him. That's something that is done more easily at home than at Disney.

Thanks to the posters who suggested a grilled cheese sandwich, that's always a safe bet for DS. Hopefully that will work for others as well.

*Hugs* I think a lot of the people who replied didn't realize that your son was autistic when they first replied. Definitely call restaurants/counter service places in advance and request certain things. I'm sure many places will be glad to help you out.

Wow....I am REALLY biting my tongue here as I don't want to get thrown off the boards.....

The incident with Kona Cafe upset my ds because he was really looking forward to eating there and having one of his favorite foods. He did not throw himself on the floor or have a screaming fit - he just wanted pasta - any shape or size with a marinara sauce - and it wasn't available so we had to leave. We guide and help him every day of his life. He has also been going to Disney for over 10 years - we don't need to go to any other *special* (huh??) vacation spots - he could probably act as a Disney tour guide!

I am glad that *I* had the good sense to "burden" myself with children - no matter how they act.

For those of you who understand and who have replied to this thread - Thank You!

I am still just shaking my head over this one....

Jill

JESW--I hope you and your family have a magic trip the next time you venture to "the world". My DD's (12) best friend is HFA (newly diagnosed) and she has had meltdowns at our house for no reason. We don't think anything about it as ALL kids (and adults) have meltdowns occasionally. My DD (again the 12 y.o.) is a very picky eater and has melted down when her favorite dish had been taken off the menu, we just picked another restaurant. I admit we would rather have her eat something she likes than to try something new at that point. Everyone on these boards needs to remember that all kids are different and respond differently to the overwhelming stimuli at WDW. :)

I for one will say I'm glad that you decided to not "burden" yourself with children. There are special vacation spots for childless people too, perhaps you should look into those.

I agree. My son will NEVER be a burden to me and I will say that most children are NOT burdens to their parents, they are precious gifts of life. But it takes a parent or a caring person to know that or to understand children with or without disabilities. I will not take any advice from anyone who feels that way about children's eating habits, discipline or etc. I don't really even understand why a person without a child would bother to make a comment on this thread any way. :confused3

Just a huggy!
My darling Nephew has Autism AND CP. Talk about a double whammy.
He is one of my heroes and works part time at a grocery store putting cans and foods on shelves. He loves his job and doesn't want to be dependent on anyone, but he knows he will always need a little help.:love:
He went through a stage where he would only eat peanut butter sandwiches and mashed potatoes.:scared1:
But he outgrew it and now eats anything not tied down.:lmao:
We always took PB and bread with us on vacations. Let um stare.
:grouphug:
He is one of the reasons I'm in health care.

Please do not offer opinons to others if they are going to be rude....I know the majority of the people here want to help, and for that THANKS!!

I also KNOW children with Autism, but that in no way qualifies me to comment on what is or is not HF. There is a reason it is called Autism Spectrum and because it is not black or white. There are good times, bad times and anywhere in between. I find your comments quite insensitive.

You did have the good sense to avoid the burden of children. Being a parent takes more than an iron hand and guilt trips about starving kids in Africa. It takes compassion, understanding, love and discipline. Children can't be talked at (as you have been doing here). They respond better to an open dialog where they can express their feelings, without being made to feel foolish.

Enjoy you next trip to Disney. Hope your not surrounded with pampered children and parents who don't know how to rear children properly.

1) I am not criticizing picky eaters, due to stubborness or lack of upbrining
2) I am not criticizing picky eaters due to conditions beyond their control
3) I am simply stating some facts, so please, no flames.

4) Facts
. . . the menus at Disney are changing
. . . some are due to DDP, come for other reasons
. . . in some cases, you can get alternate menu items
. . . in some cases, you have little or no choices for alternate menu items
4) Your Choices
. . . eat what's available
. . . eat at non-Disney eateries

I had the good sense to avoid that particular burden, but I can't help but notice how hard parents today make it on THEMSELVES by letting the children run the households. It really is sad and the children will be the ones to suffer for it. They're in for a rude awakening when it finally hits them that the world doesn't bend to their will.

Wow......I consider my two children gifts from God.

You seem to making the assumption that healthy food is not tasty. You are so very wrong. Those of us used to healthy eating *loathe* the taste of fatty, greasy foods and don't consider chicken nuggets or chili dogs a "treat". As one poster pointed out, kids encouraged to be adventurous eaters at home will be disappointed with the typical kids menu, so they really cannot please everyone.

But you DON'T have to do that!!! This is exactly what is wrong- you are taking time out from your meal to run to a different restaurant just to please an overly picky child! If you stopped doing that, he would be MUCH more likely to eat what is offered or available. My parents generation would have expected a little more gratitude (you know, there are starving kids in Africa, yada yada), but this generation of parents. . .:sad2:

:sad2: :sad2: And I thank you for "avoiding that particular burden".

Getting back on topic -
I definitely understand and agree that there just aren't adequate options for kids. I have a DD that is a most adventurous eater, and a DS who is a bit more picky (but not terrible). Even though my kids are pretty easy to feed, I still feel like there just isn't enough variety/enough options for them (especially when you take out certain options that I feel are just ridiculous options...an uncrustable?!? Chilled chicken & cheese chunks??? Sorry. That's just plain silly.) We plan to do a lot of sharing with our kids next week so they don't get sick of the same old-same old. Also - buffets, though not normally a favorite of ours, are a help when at WDW. The kids have way more to choose from than the standard kid options.

I have a picky eater too. My oldest has Down syndrome. He does NOT like spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, grill cheese (even though he used to) or chicken tenders (unless they are the kind from the freezer - in other words, the better they taste, the more he does not like them). He always ends up with a little bit of an upset stomach at WDW because he just keeps eating the same things over and over. Which is a potato product (baked, fried or mashed) and thank goodness he decided he liked pizza again about 2 years ago. So he will eat pizza. He likes fish sticks, but again, if they don't taste like fish sticks, he won't eat fish. I always have to carry some stuff in my back pack (cheerios are his favorite, but those can upset his stomach too in large quantities) like animal crackers, cheerios or whatever else he will eat at that moment. This time I will get him something off the adult menu if I have to (but that sometimes isn't helpful either because of his pickiness). We do better at breakfast places because he likes oatmeal, grits, pancakes and waffles. But unfortunately, we can't get those all day long. I might carry a few oatmeal bowls in my backpack and ask for some hot water if I need to this time.

And of course, this isn't Disney's fault at all. He is just very very picky. And yes, I have him try stuff at least before he pushes his plate away and he usually spits it out. He does eat better at school than at home.

My youngest (so far) will eat just about anything he can have while mostly toothless.

I hope you have a great trip!!!! My nephew has asperger's, but a type with a lower IQ. It took them forever to diagnose him because usually people with asperger's have a higher IQ. He finally got diagnosed while they were living in Holland when he was about 14. All children are so different, even the ones with special needs. So no two kids are ever exactly alike. Good thing to remember.

Sandra

Holy cow! Every autistic child is different and yes even high functioning ones can have tantrums. To say "ANYONE HF CAN HANDLE SOMETHING LIKE THAT" shows how much you don't know about ASD.:sad2:

BTW my DS is not HFA he's one of those "more serious cases" you describe. Guess what? I'm gonna continue to take him to WDW. He loves it there. Its the place where he first verbalized the need to go to the bathroom. It's the place where he first verbalized hunger without screaming, and its the first place he walked beside DH and I without trying to run ahead. He excels there, and I'll never take it away from him just because you think families like mine should vacation elsewhere.

1 in 150. And getting higher. The people of this nation need to be educated. This weekend Jerry Lewis is on TV raising money (and rightfully so) for a disease that effects 1 in 651,450. Americans know so much more about afflictions like this that affect such a lower number of people.

Its scary how much Americans don't know about a condition effecting so many kids. As a nurse I had an autistic patient in his 20's who had been tazered by police who misinterpreted his actions as threatening. I shudder to think that this may happen to my son someday if people don't learn more about ASD.

How about trying one of the restaurants (Cape May Cafe) and the character restaurants (Chef Mickey's) that has an array of kid friendly food on their own buffet table.

Any sit down restaurant at WDW will try to accomodate your special requests if you let them know what you need when you get there. You could also bring small containers of his favorite sauce and ask them to heat it up and put it on top of the pasta if you are concerned about the taste issue. Most resorts have fridges and you could bring along a few disposable food storage containers.

I think if you give them a chance they'd be eager to try to make your visit a good one. I believe there are special services you can call and ask them for some advice. Perhaps they would even serve a half order off the adult menu if there was something there you think he might like.

I think Disney is trying to make WDW a healthier kid food dining experience but you can hardly blame them for serving what every other restaurant serves off their kids' menus. School cafeterias are even worse if you ask me.

Just a reminder, fighting is not allowed.

3. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM: While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter