It is a sad day...Is this really what we have to look forward to year after year???

dom2737

Earning My Ears
After yet another price increase on Disney World park tickets, I find it necessary to voice my concerns as a longtime DVC Member. I find it interesting that when I purchased into the Disney Vacation Club over ten years ago, one of the main selling points was that by becoming a member it would be much more affordable to visit Disney year after year. This was also stressed with the cost comparison of how becoming a DVC Member “pays” for itself after only six or seven trips. Well I am sad to say that becoming a DVC member, whether it was today or ten years ago is no longer financially a great value.

It is a sad day to see something that was originally introduced as a way to get loyal Disney customers coming back year after year at a more economical price by purchasing a piece of the “World”, but now is nothing more than an exploited money machine that has hijacked the vacation futures of thousands of members. It is unimaginable that a family of four now has to pay over $2,100.00 for a set of four regular Disney World Annual Passes. Throw in the cost of four airline tickets which are typically between $300 and $400 a person and you are looking at another $1,600.00. But wait, if you were thinking of adding the meal plan to your reservation, be ready to pony up the $60.04 per adult and $19.23 for each child under 9 per night. If you factor in your annual dues of roughly $1,000 on a modestly sized contract of 200 points, then the average family of four could pay as much as $6,000.00 a year for a one week stay.

That is absolutely absurd considering that a non DVC Member can book a one week Disney Vacation with both park passes and meal plan for the entire stay in a regular garden view room for $6,200.00 before air fare. Obviously that price is even cheaper if you are staying at a value resort. So I ask you, “What is the real economic advantage of being a DVC Member anymore?” I just don’t understand how they can honestly look themselves in the mirror when they create a new resort and not only charge incredibly high amounts on a per point basis, but also require the per point charges to be so unbelievably high that families are required to purchase 500 or 600 hundred points for a one week trip to Disney that with annual dues will cost a family of four close to $7,000.00 every single year. Not to mention the initial cost of buying into the membership, which currently at $165 a point would make a 600 point purchase cost $99,000.00!

I am sorry, but $100,000.00 to have the “privilege” of being a Disney Vacation Member is just not worth it. As Disney Vacation Members, you would think that we are Disney’s most important customers. After all, we have invested in the company and are committed to vacationing there year after year. Our park passes should have been included with our memberships as they were when the program was originally created. It seems that DVC members are constantly losing more and more privileges and are significantly undervalued because Disney feels that they have us over a barrel and we are locked in by a contract and are therefore obligated to pay the dues and the loans. DVC Members will continue to go to Disney for that very reason because they have so much money invested in the program.

If you think I am mistaken, then I ask this one simple question. With the most recent price increase over the weekend, why was the price of a Non-Member Annual Pass raised only $25 whereas the price of the Disney Vacation Club Annual Pass raised $44? This most recent price increase comes after Disney experienced a 7% increase of park attendance in 2014 so Disney cannot complain that they are struggling. No they are becoming a greedy, exploitive company that goes against everything that Walt Disney created Disneyland and Disney World for in the first place. I have to imagine that Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he realized what has become of his dream and I find it extremely sad that this is what the Disney Vacation Club has become. I could not imagine buying into the membership today and as the prices continue to climb, I constantly wonder if I have made a huge mistake. If you do the math, you can certainly see that the “value” of the DVC is no longer there. As a member, I can only wish that if enough of us complain and voice our unhappiness with the direction of the company that maybe just maybe it will make a difference.

Member since 2004 Deeded at Saratoga Springs

After yet another price increase on Disney World park tickets, I find it necessary to voice my concerns as a longtime DVC Member. I find it interesting that when I purchased into the Disney Vacation Club over ten years ago, one of the main selling points was that by becoming a member it would be much more affordable to visit Disney year after year. This was also stressed with the cost comparison of how becoming a DVC Member “pays” for itself after only six or seven trips. Well I am sad to say that becoming a DVC member, whether it was today or ten years ago is no longer financially a great value.

It is a sad day to see something that was originally introduced as a way to get loyal Disney customers coming back year after year at a more economical price by purchasing a piece of the “World”, but now is nothing more than an exploited money machine that has hijacked the vacation futures of thousands of members. It is unimaginable that a family of four now has to pay over $2,100.00 for a set of four regular Disney World Annual Passes. Throw in the cost of four airline tickets which are typically between $300 and $400 a person and you are looking at another $1,600.00. But wait, if you were thinking of adding the meal plan to your reservation, be ready to pony up the $60.04 per adult and $19.23 for each child under 9 per night. If you factor in your annual dues of roughly $1,000 on a modestly sized contract of 200 points, then the average family of four could pay as much as $6,000.00 a year for a one week stay.

That is absolutely absurd considering that a non DVC Member can book a one week Disney Vacation with both park passes and meal plan for the entire stay in a regular garden view room for $6,200.00 before air fare. Obviously that price is even cheaper if you are staying at a value resort. So I ask you, “What is the real economic advantage of being a DVC Member anymore?” I just don’t understand how they can honestly look themselves in the mirror when they create a new resort and not only charge incredibly high amounts on a per point basis, but also require the per point charges to be so unbelievably high that families are required to purchase 500 or 600 hundred points for a one week trip to Disney that with annual dues will cost a family of four close to $7,000.00 every single year. Not to mention the initial cost of buying into the membership, which currently at $165 a point would make a 600 point purchase cost $99,000.00!

I am sorry, but $100,000.00 to have the “privilege” of being a Disney Vacation Member is just not worth it. As Disney Vacation Members, you would think that we are Disney’s most important customers. After all, we have invested in the company and are committed to vacationing there year after year. Our park passes should have been included with our memberships as they were when the program was originally created. It seems that DVC members are constantly losing more and more privileges and are significantly undervalued because Disney feels that they have us over a barrel and we are locked in by a contract and are therefore obligated to pay the dues and the loans. DVC Members will continue to go to Disney for that very reason because they have so much money invested in the program.

If you think I am mistaken, then I ask this one simple question. With the most recent price increase over the weekend, why was the price of a Non-Member Annual Pass raised only $25 whereas the price of the Disney Vacation Club Annual Pass raised $44? This most recent price increase comes after Disney experienced a 7% increase of park attendance in 2014 so Disney cannot complain that they are struggling. No they are becoming a greedy, exploitive company that goes against everything that Walt Disney created Disneyland and Disney World for in the first place. I have to imagine that Walt would be rolling over in his grave if he realized what has become of his dream and I find it extremely sad that this is what the Disney Vacation Club has become. I could not imagine buying into the membership today and as the prices continue to climb, I constantly wonder if I have made a huge mistake. If you do the math, you can certainly see that the “value” of the DVC is no longer there. As a member, I can only wish that if enough of us complain and voice our unhappiness with the direction of the company that maybe just maybe it will make a difference.

Member since 2004 Deeded at Saratoga Springs

Your calculations are off. What person would buy an AP for a single 7 day trip.

DVC was never an I investment. If you did not expect tickets and fees to go up, you made a poor decision.

Sell your DVC and get rid of that poorly "valued" purchase.

Obviously, prices and fees go up but can you honestly say that a 10% price increase over last year is justified? As for the annual pass for a single day trip, there was a time when purchasing an annual pass as a DVC member was worth it due to the free parking, 10% discounts for shopping, and for the chance of booking a second trip roughly 11 and a half months after the first use. That being said, I never looked at DVC being a financial investment. When I purchased it in 2004, it was marketed as a way to economically get back to Disney every single year but that is just not the case. Nothing will ever change if DVC Members have your same attitude and just sit there and take it. I would be surprised if more people are not outraged as the days and weeks go on.

For what its worth, we sold our DVC membership for the exact reasons you stated. Originally we were members of SSR, bought in 2003 sold in 2008 (I think?). We eventually came to the conclusion that we don't like to visit Disney that often and it wasn't much of a "savings" as they (Disney) originally touted, and yes that is their sales pitch-that it saves you money. It was costing us the same amount of money that we'd spend every year going anyway so there was no point in being tied to dues yearly-ESPECIALLY when Disney continually offers discounts on rooms.

And no, you don't need APs but if you time your vacations correctly you can get away with getting them and they do make more sense than 7 day passes.

Its funny you mention the 6K figure which is our budget for our next trip, including travel and meals. Staying at CBR for 8 nights, driving from MA, NO dining plan (we don't eat the way its designed) and 7 day PHs. CBR is no "deluxe" granted but last time we stayed deluxe and had a really crappy PITA time.

We have gone back and forth so many times on buying into DVC and just have not pulled the trigger. Looking at our latest reservation, we are planning 7 nights at YC, 5 days in the parks (PH, WP and more), meal plan(FD per bounce back booking) and flights from NH for around $4,800. We are not planning a 2016 trip, but will probably try to go in 2017/18 when the most recent construction is at completion. For this reason, we will probably hold off and just plan to pay s we go.

I see your point and sorry it has not worked out as you expected. I do think that as long as the park attendance and spending per guest keep rising, there is no reason to expect anything other than annual increases. They timing of the increases is what I found to be a little concerning. They always typically increased prices as we approached summer in June. They managed to push that back to February now the last couple of years. While everyone is talking about the increases, no one talks about how they now get that increase 4 months earlier in the year. We purchased the NE tickets prior to the increase and decision to not offer them in the future. That way at least we get a couple of future vacations at the older rates and that makes it a little more affordable. The bonus is we have the Disney Chase card and I was able to use points saved up for the purchase.

I hope they start providing some benefits to the DVC owners to make it more valuable. Pretty sure I'm never staying in the Polynesian DVC.

Yes, I guarantee that prices will increase over the years.

There are many, many wonderful places in the world to vacation besides Disney! Try one!

Yes, I guarantee that prices will increase over the years.

There are many, many wonderful places in the world to vacation besides Disney! Try one!

I have been doing exactly this. I bought into DVC with dreams in my head of going year after year including with little ones. For many reasons, some on Disney's end but also many in our family (we may not be able to have children without a high level of medical intervention and are now questioning if we will just stay a childless couple) we are finding that we are less interested in continuing to go.

At the moment I still find it worth it to keep my points for those times I do want to visit (although they are less often then before we do still like to go) and rent them to help pay for other trips. If we ever find it starts to be difficult to rent points for an amount that makes it worth it after paying dues and the time invested in renting them we will sell.

Unofficial Guide 2015 goes over the price increases (across the board, not just DVC) in detail. They think that with the current level of demand, Disney can keep increasing prices way ahead of normal cost-of-living/inflation for quite a few years yet before they price themselves out of their target ($100k+) household.

Dom2337 -- I have to agree with you that a WDW or DL vacation is expensive -- DVC or no DVC. To some extent (IMO) Disney is managing their prices to be in line with pure economics. You mentioned yourself in your post they have had a 7% increase in park attendance in 2014, and I recently read that Disney hotels experience an unprecedented, close to 85 or 90% booking capacity. Disney may be being greedy, however, companies are in business to make money. I think the same statement could be made about a lot of companies. In my mind Disney is just meeting demand. Unfortunately, consumers keep paying the price when the bar moves up, when people stop paying the price, increases will slow.

As for DVC being their most important members or Disney park visitors, I think I have to disagree with you on that comment. Are we really their best customers? I don't feel like I am. I try to squeeze every single dime out of my Disney vacations. I read daily about ways I can maximize my vacations, I buy APs and am sure to use them to maximize what I spent in park visits, I always have a discount on what I buy, I eat in my Villa and rarely eat out, we already have tons of souvenirs - how many Mickey ears, shirts and cups does on person really need? And of course, I "prepaid" for my room, so I'm not paying Disney hotel prices, and assuming that I did break even on my membership in the 7 or 8 year time frame, at this point, I do think that my MFs are lower than the cost of a room from Disney during the times I would normally travel.

Since you have already bought into DVC and you probably bought at a higher price than you can currently sell your DVC, can I recommend you think about renting your points? I don't know if you have ever done that, but if you rent privately, you can do pretty well. You can rent them for at least $11pp at SSR and probably more like $12 or $13, take that money pay your dues and take the balance and spend it on other vacations or things you need. I bought at SSR and I'm in the same boat. I don't want to dump what I have at a loss, so now I rent. If you care to discuss this idea more or need advice on how to approach renting privately, feel free to PM me. I'm certainly no expert on all scenarios, but it has helped me find an alternative and get a little money back out of my DVC "prepaid vacations" that we are taking less of these days. I bought at SSR in 2006.

Good luck with your decisions! I feel your pain.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that WITH you numbers, I see the savings. You say possibly $6000 for a family to stay with DVC vs $6200 for a regular garden view room. But the $6200 doesn't include the same $1600 airfare that you include in the $6000. So let's eliminate that to make an apples to apples comparison, $4400 vs $6200. And you have annual passes at $2100 but make mention that it's smarter to use them for trips 11.5 months apart. So let's spread that over two trips at $1050 a piece. Now we're down to $3350 for a DVC stay vs $6200 for that regular garden view room. $2850 seems like a good savings to me.

Disney is in it to make money. Always have, always will.

I for one, just completed my BLT resale purchase, and I couldn't be any happier.

I'm very surprised park ticket discounts aren't given to DVC members. Seems like a no-brainer and a good perk that would help sell more DVC. Even a 10% discount or something....c'mon they are owners after all!

A friend at work bought DVC - but it seems like they can never afford to use it. It's a real shame, and I can't believe what they pay per month.

I'm not knocking it and I'm very happy for people who love it - but DVC would never make sense for our family.

I get that you're frustrated (I probably would be too!) but hopefully when you made the purchase you did the math and made the cost-saving decision based on accommodations alone. Any additional AP, dining, etc discounts are simply bonus. What you bought was a form of accommodation. As long as that piece is playing out as promised, then Disney really didn't do anything wrong by you.
For our family, we seriously considered buying DVC and when I crunched the numbers, it just didn't make sense for us. Based on my math, we would save some money over the long-haul IF we compared DVC to staying at deluxe resorts each trip. But we don't do that. Sometimes we do deluxe, but we often also do moderates. So it didn't make sense for us and we didn't buy it. I certainly didn't include potential extra-discounts in the math when making the decision to buy or not.

We did the same thing that Dopey Dame did. We calculated what we would spend and what DVC cost.

Since we do plan on staying at Deluxe, it worked out for us.

Any discounts are just icing on the cake.

We have been loyal Disney fans for over 20 years. We have seen many changes, some for the better, some not!! We have decided to give DL a try this year and for only 3 days. A few years ago we decided to show our kids more of the world. Its surprising what you can see with the thousands of dollars it cost to visit WDW. Our girls have been able to visit some very fascinating places and experienced some natural wonders. We spent 12 days in Puerto Rico for less than a week at WDW, including airfare. This year we are looking forward to touring California. Our girls favorite trip to date was to Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. The entrance cost for both parks for six was less than 2 one day tickets to Disney. I don't want to be a Disney "basher" but will admit there are many wonderful vacation ideas that are half the cost of Disney. The Disney Club may work for some but after much research we found it too expensive. Yes, they have some great destinations but the places are available for so much less with other companies.

I have to agree with katyjeka. We love WDW but when I was booking our trip for 2014 I couldn't believe how expensive it had become since I started taking my children in 2007.
My mother made an off the cuff remark about Europe being cheaper, and it was! I cancelled our WDW trip (10 days in a mod with park tix and dining) and booked a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and 4 nights in Paris instead. Of course that didn't include airfare, but it was less expensive than WDW.
We will likely continue to go to WDW, but it will be MUCH less frequently due to the high cost.

I think it all depends on how you vacation. We like to go 3x a year. We fly 2x (stays 5-7 days) and drive in summer(stay 10-14 days) Everyone asks why we don't own DVC. When we go in the summer we usually get a great rate at deluxe (end of August), Easter we know we will be off site for less than $100 a night, and fall we usually stay value or mod depending on deals. We want to go several times to get the most out of our APs. But since we don't have to stay deluxe and never cook meals, DVC just doesn't work to be a money saver.

Now, if my parents had bought and gifted points to us each year- I would feel it would be a worthwhile investment!:cool1:

I have to agree with katyjeka. We love WDW but when I was booking our trip for 2014 I couldn't believe how expensive it had become since I started taking my children in 2007.
My mother made an off the cuff remark about Europe being cheaper, and it was! I cancelled our WDW trip (10 days in a mod with park tix and dining) and booked a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and 4 nights in Paris instead. Of course that didn't include airfare, but it was less expensive than WDW.
We will likely continue to go to WDW, but it will be MUCH less frequently due to the high cost.

This is just so true. I feel like Disney is really running a risk each year with the continual price increases, how long can they continue to raise prices before families feel like it is not worth the ridiculous prices? If you can go to some place with culture and true learning experiences for the same price, why go to Disney? I love Disney and all but it is hard to justify the cost compared to what you get. Lots of places are magical...and pretty much every one of them are much more relaxing, all-inclusive, and cheaper than Disney

I can only speak for us--but we like deluxe and due to family size require a 2BR.

The packages for a family of 4 do not suit our needs. I would have to price 2 deluxe rooms OR 1 2BR cash price villa.

I still think we come out ahead. But since we only have 1 base contract of 160 points, we pretty much only to every other year.

We are back in Florida now and stick primarily to day trips otherwise. When we bought, we did live in Florida and it was a means to an end to get the room type we desired. And Florida residence tickets reduce that cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter