It is a good thing the ABD trips don't start until May

Tozzie

DIS Veteran
Air traffic to Europe is at a virtual standstill with this volcanic Ash cloud. I was just watching the news and thinking that I am glad none of the ABD European trips start until May. Air There are many stranded passengers at JFK in NY they interviewed one man who was told by the airline they wouldn't be able to get him a flight until 4/20 at the earliest. What a mess.

My flight leaves on 5/1. I can tell you I was a little concerned when I saw this story this morning. Hopefully all will be well in the next 2 weeks.

I had the same concerns last year. Mt. Redoubt erupted several times last spring and grounded flights in Anchorage. I had the Alaska Volcano Observatory website up every day checking for eruptions. Luckily the volcano calmed down before time for our trip arrived. When flying over, you could see the ash from the eruptions all over the glaciers.

My flight leaves on 5/1. I can tell you I was a little concerned when I saw this story this morning. Hopefully all will be well in the next 2 weeks.

Diskidatheart,
I am thinking the same thing. Even if the ash cloud doesn't totally dissipate, maybe we will luck out since we will be travelling south of where it is and do not have to fly through London or Paris. if it is still as issue the week before, I will worry about it then. :hourglass

I've been watching the news all day since I have clients touring abroad and who are almost ready to fly home. I also have a few on the transatlantic DCL cruise that are going to need to get back next weekend. And yes, I'm also glad that the AbDs haven't yet begun!

Of course, I'm flying Icelandair at the beginning of June for Knights and Lights. And I feel guilty worrying about my trip when thousands of folks are currently stranded and the poor people who live in Iceland have to add even more to their plates. :(

Did I ever mention that I hiked an underground lava cave in Iceland in February? (That sounds way more adventurous than it was, trust me.) It's true that timing is everything...

Dotti

I've been watching the news all day since I have clients touring abroad and who are almost ready to fly home. I also have a few on the transatlantic DCL cruise that are going to need to get back next weekend. And yes, I'm also glad that the AbDs haven't yet begun!

Of course, I'm flying Icelandair at the beginning of June for Knights and Lights. And I feel guilty worrying about my trip when thousands of folks are currently stranded and the poor people who live in Iceland have to add even more to their plates. :(

Did I ever mention that I hiked an underground lava cave in Iceland in February? (That sounds way more adventurous than it was, trust me.) It's true that timing is everything...

Dotti

Interesting thing I heard ont he news was the ash cloud was not affecting the Airport in Iceland because the Volcano was on the other side of the island. I was in Iceland in 1997, they had just had an eruption of a volcano a few months before and it was crazy to see the icebergs on the "beach" that were created by the eruption

Looks like we may be on the same trip. We fly a day sooner, eek.

Wonder what the odds are that AbD would cancel before the last minute, for logistical reasons?

Wonder what the odds are that AbD would cancel before the last minute, for logistical reasons?
My guess would be unless they are stuck with no Guides, the ABD will go on. They are already obligated to the hotels, etc, and it's really not fair for those who *do* make it to the starting point...

Sayhello

Yes indeed this volcanic ash has really hurt the air space of europe. people are left stranded at the airports, couple of my friends suffered the same fate at UK.

I spoke to an ABD rep today and found out some interesting things regarding the Europe trips coming up. If ABD feels that it is unsafe for travelers to be in Europe, they will cancel the trip and either refund your money or try to book you on another ABD trip. If ABD doesn't cancel the trip, but you can't make it to Europe due to an airline issue, then your insurance kicks in. I then spoke to a customer service rep with the insurance company that I booked with and if the airport is closed for 24 straight hours during the time you are supposed to arrive, a full refund can be claimed. There are also a couple other options for refunds if your trip is delayed.

The individual that I spoke with at ABD also informed me that all travelers on the May 2nd Viva Italia trip are coming from the US, which may be good news because if they close the Rome airport due to the ash cloud, nobody will be able to get to Rome and I would think ABD would have to cancel/reschedule this trip.

Diskid,
I also got the same answers to similar questions. At least they are consistent, if nothing else. The flight I am scheduled on from JFK to Rome, flew yesterday and is scheduled to fly today. My concern is flying back from Venice, which is much further north. Hopefully, these discussions will turn out to be "theoretical" in nature only.:hourglass

I checked on my flights and they appear to be getting to Rome as well. Unfortunately, USAir doesn't have any flights out of Venice to check until after we are already there (service out of Venice doesn't begin until May 9th...I think). I tried another airline to see if flights were leaving Venice and that flight was cancelled, however, that airline flew from Venice to Germany, so it may not have been a Venice issue, but rather due to Germany's airports being closed. At least the Venice issue allows us an extra 9 days for this to clear up. I'm crossing my fingers as I really don't want to reschedule.

I was looking at the list of airports that were closed in europe over the weekend and the only ones in italy that seemed affected by this ash stuff were Rome and Milan

ABD has posted a travel advisory on their website. Basically says all trips are a go at this time and they are monitoring the situation. Hope things continue to improve and no one's travel plans are adversely affected.

It appears that most, if not all European airports have been opened, but those in the Scandinavian countries could close again as the winds there have not been doing what they were expecting. Transatlantic flights have been flying at 35,000 feet, which is well over the ash cloud of 20,000 feet. ABD is monitoring this, but maybe not as much as I have. :thumbsup2

I just want to get to Rome, enjoy the entire trip, and if I get stuck in Venice for a couple of extra days, I won't complain too much. :lmao:

The travel advisory is back up on the ABD website. What's going on with the volcano? I haven't seen anything on the news about it, but our news is so consumed with the disastrous flood we had last week that I haven't seen much of anything else.

The travel advisory is back up on the ABD website. What's going on with the volcano? I haven't seen anything on the news about it, but our news is so consumed with the disastrous flood we had last week that I haven't seen much of anything else.

I have been relentlessly checking fligths since saturday when the Volcanic Ash cloud became a problem again. What they are doing in Europe is routing planes around the cloud this is causing delays and longer flights. A friend at work had to pick up his parents at the airport on Sunday, they flew back from ireland and the flight was 2 hours longer than normal due to the rerouting. I am 3 1/2 weeks out and am getting a little nervous as the last time this particular volcano errupted it lasted for 2 years.

I have been relentlessly checking fligths since saturday when the Volcanic Ash cloud became a problem again. What they are doing in Europe is routing planes around the cloud this is causing delays and longer flights. A friend at work had to pick up his parents at the airport on Sunday, they flew back from ireland and the flight was 2 hours longer than normal due to the rerouting. I am 3 1/2 weeks out and am getting a little nervous as the last time this particular volcano errupted it lasted for 2 years.

Thanks for the update, Tozzie, and good luck. I really hope the volcano doesn't affect your travel plans. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter