It happened again - selfie stick halts California Screamin

Glad they caught it before it got too late; shame it had to ruin the ride for the others.

Last edited:

They did, but short of CMs rummaging through bags and a pat down for every guest they'll still be pretty easy to sneak in.

I thought they did rummage through everyone's bags?

They go through the bags but they never look into the pockets of cargo pants. I have seen guys walk right through security carrying nothing but with the pockets of their cargo pants obviously stuffed. They could easily be carrying a selfie stick or, God forbid, a gun. This may have changed since I was last in DLR but I doubt it. They probably think it is too personal to go through the pockets of clothing.

CMs don't stick their hands in bags. They ask the guest to open the bag and use a flashlight to look in. They may pat the outside of the bag or ask the guest to remove something off the top. They have gotten more consistent about asking quests to open pockets on bags, but it's just to look with a flashlight. A few months ago I saw a guest walk right through with a selfie stick in his back pocket. The CM never turned around once he passed her, just look straight ahead at the next guest. Had he gone to the metal detector the CSC employee probably would have noticed it. But there are plastic selfie sticks that could easily hide under loose clothing, or go unnoticed at the bottom of a backpack. I really doubt that it was used for the first time at 5pm on Screamin. Part of the problem is they need more security in the parks to actually confront guests in the parks when they pull out a selfie stick in front of the castle or tear through crowds with a kid on their lap, operating an ECV with one hand and a phone with the other or waving around a lightsaber and smacking people in the walkway near Astro Orbitor or changing diapers on tables at Pinocchio's.

I'm wondering what you guys would do if you saw someone with a selfie stick in the parks? Would you report that person? They said on the news that California Screamin' was down for two hours. First, they had to get everyone off, and then do all their checks before starting again. It's a huge inconvenience to the Parks and guests because someone thought the rules shouldn't apply to him/her. On one hand they don't really bother me, but on the other hand, guests are so inconsiderate, enough to be potentially harmful to other guests (if that selfie stick or attached camera flew off and hit someone or landed on the track ...), that it really bothers me that they just disregard the rules.

I'm wondering what you guys would do if you saw someone with a selfie stick in the parks? Would you report that person? They said on the news that California Screamin' was down for two hours. First, they had to get everyone off, and then do all their checks before starting again. It's a huge inconvenience to the Parks and guests because someone thought the rules shouldn't apply to him/her. On one hand they don't really bother me, but on the other hand, guests are so inconsiderate, enough to be potentially harmful to other guests (if that selfie stick or attached camera flew off and hit someone or landed on the track ...), that it really bothers me that they just disregard the rules.

I saw someone last fall, well after the ban started. She was taking photos in front of the castle with it. When she was done, I just stepped up and warned her that they weren't allowed in the parks, and that if someone saw her with it they would likely take it away. As she walked away, a security CM came up and started talking to her about it.

There's just as much risk of someone losing their grip on a cell phone or camera held in their hand on a coaster, unfortunately. I probably would comment to a CM if I saw a selfie stick in the park, but it would just be a passing comment and I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. When I saw a diaper being changed on a table at Gibson Girl I said something to a CM and he just shrugged. Last month a guy blew by a CM at bag check on his ECV and she stepped towards me and stage whispered, "That's not a walking pace..." and I sort of thought, "Then DO SOMETHING about it!" I will also often make a comment about really egregious line cutters to the CMs loading rides. Not because I think they're going to kick the line cutters out, but because it's a negative experience and I have the foolish hope that if they hear it enough then the policy on line cutting might change.

Edited to add: About a year and a half ago I saw a guest with a knife that had about a 2 1/2-3 inch non-collapsible blade, so not a pocket knife. He was rinsing it off with a water bottle and then turning it over in his hand. There was a plaid nearby with a phone, but around the corner where she wouldn't have seen him, so I immediately went to her, pointed him out and she just smiled and said, "Oh really?" I stayed and watched for about 5 more minutes and she didn't call anyone over and no security showed up. So either she had already called and walked away from the situation and security is very slow, or she really did just ignore me.

There's just as much risk of someone losing their grip on a cell phone or camera held in their hand on a coaster, unfortunately. I probably would comment to a CM if I saw a selfie stick in the park, but it would just be a passing comment and I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. When I saw a diaper being changed on a table at Gibson Girl I said something to a CM and he just shrugged. Last month a guy blew by a CM at bag check on his ECV and she stepped towards me and stage whispered, "That's not a walking pace..." and I sort of thought, "Then DO SOMETHING about it!" I will also often make a comment about really egregious line cutters to the CMs loading rides. Not because I think they're going to kick the line cutters out, but because it's a negative experience and I have the foolish hope that if they hear it enough then the policy on line cutting might change.

I think what sets the selfie sticks apart is their ability to extend several feet past someone's hand. I think there was a very real risk of those selfie sticks whacking pieces off animatronics and sets in a whole bunch of rides.

Last year we were waiting for PTN, standing next to a CM, we saw someone using a selfie stick. Making a light joke to the CM "Ohhh they have a selfie stick". She immediately went over and confiscated it. I thought they would just say put it away, but she took it.

There is rummage and then there is RUMMAGE lol. Security does a good job but they don't check 100% every single bag.

Saddly for some people common sense is non existent or severely lacking.

This frustrates me. They are signs near the parking lots and a verbal warnings given on the tram ride that mention that selfie sticks are not allowed. Personally they should kick people out of the park that bring them in.

This actually came up when I was there last month. We were in DCA interacting with a couple of the street characters (the lady with the fake dog and one other - do they have names?). A guest came up and asked to take a photo with them and brought out a selfie stick, so they started mock-scolding and asking how she snuck it in. The guest looked confused and didn't seem to know about the ban, so they stopped scolding her and took the photo. There were no other obvious CM's around. After we left we were wondering what the in-character CM's are supposed to do in that situation (if they see a selfie stick or even dangerous rule-breaking). They're supposed to stay in character and generally be fun so I wouldn't expect them to confiscate it, but can they subtly call security to the area?

If I saw someone boarding a ride with one I would say something because it needs to be confiscated before they get on the ride and endanger everyone. But when you're out walking around it's more difficult because the person would probably disappear into the crowd before you can find a CM and explain.

You know how in life there is always that one person? There is also THAT person at Disney. They either missed the memo, don't care, don't think rules apply to them, are stupid, are selfish, are clueless or any and all of those things. I've seen more stupid at Disney than I swear, anywhere else in the world. It's just a magnet for everything ridiculous.

Good thing i wasn't on that ride. The person would have gotten such a pranging.

I was just in the park on Wednesday and saw first hand a guy in front on me at bag check get caught with a selfie stick in his bag. He was told he couldn't take it into the park. And either leave, or give up his selfie stick. He chose to give it up as he was with a big group and didn't want to be separated.

Security is checking, but obviously not able to keep ALL selfie sticks out.

Last edited:
This is the one thing that really bugs me about Disney. They are too nice. They are like those parents you hear saying "please don't hit mommy with her glasses sweetie!" Ugh. Grow a pair Disney and deal with guests who cause not only inconvenience but safety issues to others. You see people running, cutting in line and acting like jerks in general at DLR though because jerks are all over the place. I just wish Karma would visit the parks more often - maybe then these people would learn their lesson without Disney having to grow up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter