Issues with Rider Swap

This website has a list of all the rides with a height restriction, the height restriction and some ideas of things to do while waiting. It's near the bottom of the page. I haven't read the other info on the page related to the Rider Swap so I have no idea if it's accurate or not, I just liked their chart to give to a friend that needs it for next week and there's no other way to link it easily

https://wdwprepschool.com/how-to-child-swap-rider-switch-at-disney-world/

Yeah, this too. Our method works for us, and it isn't worth the hassle of getting to the line to find out we can't do rider switch anyway. Sometimes we go to separate areas of the park with the different fast passes. My son could ride buzz 100 times in a week if he could.

You can still use Rider Switch even though your son is over the height requirement. This is the explanation of RS from the WDW site (emphasis mine):

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!​

My son is 12yo and won’t ride any roller coasters either. RS is valid for any guests that don’t wish to ride.

Sorry, but don't count on it.

However, just like with the number of guests who are allowed per swap pass, this is an area that is technically incorrect on the website and will be meet with mixed results in parks. I have seen people denied passes when the person was not too short especially when old enough to wait alone
Maybe it has worked for us because a 12yo isn't old enough to wait alone.

If it is that common to be denied, then maybe I will take a screen shot of the WDW website with me on our next trip.

If it is that common to be denied, then maybe I will take a screen shot of the WDW website with me on our next trip.

That's been discussed many times in the past.
(This subject is one of THE most-discussed of any "Disney Rules.")

The situation overall is that the CM's authority at the attraction can supersede any random listing of info posted on the web.

We used Rider Switch for Mine Train and Space Mountain today. Those waiting behind did not need to show fastpasses. We did get a lanyard at both rides. Tickets expired today but it is the last day of the month. Both tickets were good for three people to return.

We used Rider Switch for Mine Train and Space Mountain today. Those waiting behind did not need to show fastpasses. We did get a lanyard at both rides. Tickets expired today but it is the last day of the month. Both tickets were good for three people to return.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just sharing my personal experience the past 2 years in October with RS.. We are a family of 5 (myself, DH, DS (9), DD (7) and DS (3). We used RS at SM, SDMT and TT. Each time, the whole family was present when we approached the CM. My husband and oldest 2 children had FPs for the bigger rides, and I had a FP to take my little one to see characters or a "younger ride". We were given a RS ticket each time (no questions asked), with a return for 3. I was able to enjoy the bigger rides with my oldest 2, later in the day.

My DS is 2, and we have been to Disney with him 3 times and going back this October. We have used RS every trip with no problems. My DH and DD will FP an attraction and I will get RS for it. When they are done, DD and I ride it with RS. That way, I can use my FP for DS to see characters and ride. We have also done it where I get a FP and then we get RS for DH and DD. We have yet to have an issue.
We have 2 children too small for FoP, and 7 adults who can ride it. So are you saying that we could make FP for 6 adults at FoP and make FP at NRJ for one adult and the 2 shorties, show up first at FoP and ask for the rider swap for the one adult not riding the first time, send all others through to FoP while the other adult takes the two kids to the NRJ FP? Then meet up and the one adult can use the RS pass via the FP line (and take someone along)? Totally not trying to cheat the system but trying to keep the littles content while the bigs are riding too. And it’s a long walk to do something else in that park after having to show up to get the RS pass.

We have 2 children too small for FoP, and 7 adults who can ride it. So are you saying that we could make FP for 6 adults at FoP and make FP at NRJ for one adult and the 2 shorties, show up first at FoP and ask for the rider swap for the one adult not riding the first time, send all others through to FoP while the other adult takes the two kids to the NRJ FP? Then meet up and the one adult can use the RS pass via the FP line (and take someone along)? Totally not trying to cheat the system but trying to keep the littles content while the bigs are riding too. And it’s a long walk to do something else in that park after having to show up to get the RS pass.
You should be able to do that, but to be honest if that adult really wants to ride FOP, I’d make the fast pass for them too. It should work but you are taking a risk, especially on rides like FOP & 7DMT.

If it were me, I’d FP FOP for all the adults, and take the kids to the games (or triceratops spin) in dinoland. Then try the rider swap on EE instead.

I used child swap on my last trip and this is how it goes:
When using fastpass line, all riders need to have FP for that attraction and will ask the CM for the Child swap pass. First group will ride and will be given a pass for 3 people.
When standing on regular line:
First group will ask fir the child pass, will ride, and the person who stayed behind with the child now can go on the FP line with the child swap pass and 2 more people.
Does Disney is trying to avoid people abusing child swap to get a FP for others? Maybe :confused3

Yes, I can see WDW trying to cut off the double dippers. If some in the group have FP, then all in the group should have FP, IMO. The sole purpose of RS is so that the family doesn't have to wait for the two groups to go through standby twice. But if they have FP for it there's no one waiting in standby at all. So the RS just allows the person who waited with the short kid to experience the ride with 2 other family members. That person should have a FP too.

They don't give a flying fig about screenshots. All that will do is hold up the queue and make it a bigger mess. And then we will all look at you as "that family"...

In a busy theme park when the rest of their family could be in line and riding for over an hour?...No, I don't think 12yo is old enough for them to wait by themselves.

Why would you be waiting that long? Get FP for everyone. Have 12 year old get FP too, and stay with you in the queue. When it comes time to ride, he can exit at the chicken exit and wait the 5 minutes for so for the ride to cycle.

I would get FP for all who want to ride FoP. That seems to be one of the rides that they are strict about.

Yes, I can see WDW trying to cut off the double dippers. If some in the group have FP, then all in the group should have FP, IMO. The sole purpose of RS is so that the family doesn't have to wait for the two groups to go through standby twice. But if they have FP for it there's no one waiting in standby at all. So the RS just allows the person who waited with the short kid to experience the ride with 2 other family members. That person should have a FP too.

I don’t consider it “double dipping” for one member of the party to get a FP for a ride that the short kid(s) can ride. That way, the kids can use all of their Fastpasses. I don’t personally have issues with people using rider swap in that manner.

I think it would be double dipping if some people get FPs for, day, TT and Soarin and swapped both of those rides. That’s more of a grey area.

I don’t consider it “double dipping” for one member of the party to get a FP for a ride that the short kid(s) can ride. That way, the kids can use all of their Fastpasses. I don’t personally have issues with people using rider swap in that manner.

I think it would be double dipping if some people get FPs for, day, TT and Soarin and swapped both of those rides. That’s more of a grey area.
I think this specific instance is the main reason people have issues with rider swap right now.

Or FOP and Navi?

I think this is quite common. It will be very interesting to see if Disney continues to allow RS as a means of defeating tiering once Star Wars Land opens.
How could you get rider swap for Navi? I didn’t think there was a height requirement?

Or FOP and Navi?

I think this is quite common. It will be very interesting to see if Disney continues to allow RS as a means of defeating tiering once Star Wars Land opens.

You can’t swap at Na’vi though (right?), so it wouldn’t apply in that scenario. I mean yeah, the person who initially sits out FOP could get FP for both, but the rest of the party wouldn’t be able to.

I don’t think the number of people doing this is making appreciable differences in wait times, and it’s not a permanent loophole for anyone. Those kids will grow up eventually! This is just one of those things that’s really not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Yes. We have never had any trouble. As long as the first group that goes all has FP, then the other can get RS. That way, my 2 yr old doesn’t miss out on the fun of the characters which is his favorite part. I also don’t consider it double dipping. I consider making both of my kids happy AND getting to enjoy my vacation as well. I am the one paying for it after all ;-)

Last edited:
Totally not trying to cheat the system but trying to keep the littles content while the bigs are riding too. And it’s a long walk to do something else in that park after having to show up to get the RS pass.
That isn't cheating the system. Most would say cheating would be to have some adults bring up one kid for 1 rider swap ticket and others bring up the other kid for a separate rider swap.

So question about this. Do you have to have a fast pass in order to do rider swap? If you are just waiting in the stand by line is it possible to do rider swap as well? It was my understanding that you could do rider swap from the stand by line so that the second parent/adult would not have to wait in line again.

Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter