Issues standing for long periods of time (take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet_ibis

"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"
Background: I have degenerative disk disease and have suffered from several lumbar sprains. I am absolutely fantastic -- as long as I keep moving. If I stand still or relatively still (in a slowly moving line) for 15-30 minutes or more, I will be in such tremendous pain that I will not be able to walk, I'll spend two days in bed at the resort on painkillers, and will spend 6+ weeks in physical therapy. (I am still in physical therapy from an incident in October.)

We are heading to WDW in February and I came here (hi) to research the changes and DAS information. I'm now thoroughly confused.

The last time I was at WDW, the GAC was in place, but I never had to use it. The last time I was at DL, I started to have back problems from waiting in line, but was given return passes at each ride when I explained my issue to the CM.

From the FAQ here, it sounds like I merely need to explain my issue at Guest Services and I'll get a DAS card. And that I wouldn't need a note from my doctor because the CM would not be allowed to read it. (But I saw a comment that said that they would?)

Then I read a thread that said I wouldn't qualify for the DAS and my only option would be to get a wheelchair. And another thread where someone with a similar issue to mine was actually denied a DAS at DL, and (to be honest) a lot of the comments on that thread were quite cynical.

I don't need a wheelchair. I typically commando-walk 6-9 miles a day when I'm at WDW, carrying my now 5 year old for part of it. I'm running in one of the Disney Princess races later that week, for heaven's sake. I simply cannot stand in a nearly stationary position for a long amount of time without severe back pain. My accommodation would be the return pass, like the one poster requested, so I can either keep moving or sit to wait.

And... I'm confused.

With a wheelchair, you can sit when you need and walk when you want. The issue you describe can be handled this way, so generally a DAS wouldn't be granted.

But I do not need a wheelchair. I have no mobility issues. Making me use a wheelchair takes a wheelchair away from someone who needs one in addition to giving me a heavy piece of equipment (that I don't need) to deal with.

Edited to add: I am 100% thrilled to be doing the parks without a stroller. You wanna see people roll eyes? Let me roll three kids around in a wheelchair all afternoon so I can use it in line. Frankly, that's a ridiculous suggestion.

Edited to further add: A return pass accomplished the same thing with less burden and less hassle.

Let me guess... Disney RENTS wheelchairs, so they profit by making this policy?

Your issue is a mobility issue. Standing is part of being mobile. As the pp said the solution will likely be get a wheelchair. As for Disney profiting, they do not require you rent one from them. You can rent one from outside or bring one from home etc. after you factor in the cost of cm to man rental area, repairing and replacing old chairs, I doubt they make little profit on wheelchairs. Most lines don't completely stop for long periods of time. And if they do you don't have to. You can walk in place or pace in a small area. Also it may be that you have to reconsider your going without a stroller and commando style of touring. Not carrying your five year old and taking it easier and taking breaks when needed or plan some shows interspersed with rides maybe a better solution for you.

How do you handle stationary places outside of WDW? My mom had degenerative disk disease as well and she has found that there are all kinds of places where she has to wait in long lines with little room to move. If she does not have room to lean against something after 10 minutes in one place she starts feeling the pain. She now takes a rollator with her places that she might find herself waiting with nowhere to sit or lean, such as a zoo, department store, or museum. They may have benches to sit, but not frequently or empty of others.

Background: I have degenerative disk disease and have suffered from several lumbar sprains. I am absolutely fantastic -- as long as I keep moving. If I stand still or relatively still (in a slowly moving line) for 15-30 minutes or more, I will be in such tremendous pain that I will not be able to walk, I'll spend two days in bed at the resort on painkillers, and will spend 6+ weeks in physical therapy. (I am still in physical therapy from an incident in October.)

We are heading to WDW in February and I came here (hi) to research the changes and DAS information. I'm now thoroughly confused.

The last time I was at WDW, the GAC was in place, but I never had to use it. The last time I was at DL, I started to have back problems from waiting in line, but was given return passes at each ride when I explained my issue to the CM.

From the FAQ here, it sounds like I merely need to explain my issue at Guest Services and I'll get a DAS card. And that I wouldn't need a note from my doctor because the CM would not be allowed to read it. (But I saw a comment that said that they would?)

Then I read a thread that said I wouldn't qualify for the DAS and my only option would be to get a wheelchair. And another thread where someone with a similar issue to mine was actually denied a DAS at DL, and (to be honest) a lot of the comments on that thread were quite cynical.

I don't need a wheelchair. I typically commando-walk 6-9 miles a day when I'm at WDW, carrying my now 5 year old for part of it. I'm running in one of the Disney Princess races later that week, for heaven's sake. I simply cannot stand in a nearly stationary position for a long amount of time without severe back pain. My accommodation would be the return pass, like the one poster requested, so I can either keep moving or sit to wait.

And... I'm confused.

You don't have to stay stationary in a queue. Most queues are in constant motion, except when the ride has to stop for some reason, of course. But you'd be stopped in the FP line as well, right?

But I do not need a wheelchair. I have no mobility issues. Making me use a wheelchair takes a wheelchair away from someone who needs one in addition to giving me a heavy piece of equipment (that I don't need) to deal with. Edited to add: I am 100% thrilled to be doing the parks without a stroller. You wanna see people roll eyes? Let me roll three kids around in a wheelchair all afternoon so I can use it in line. Frankly, that's a ridiculous suggestion. Edited to further add: A return pass accomplished the same thing with less burden and less hassle.

Taking a wheelchair away from someone else, less burden and hassle, etc - if Disney feels both the DAS or a wheelchair will meet your needs, they'll suggest you rent a wheelchair. Yes, they rent them. But they don't require that you use theirs.

Disney offers the accommodation they prefer - not the one the guests prefers, and IMO, the DAS will always be the last option as it affects the lines. It's entirely possible that FP lines will be 15-20 minutes long. They move the exact same way a SB line does. If you can't handle the way the lines move for that period of time the DAS isn't much help either. There's potential for any line, FP or not, to be stationary for periods of time. You'll find longer stationary waits for the restroom than you will a ride line.

Does sitting alleviate your issue?

Unfortunately your issue is mobility / stamina you can try for a DAS but be prepared for them to tell you to use a mobility device. It might not be what you want to hear but that's the way it seems to be. Good luck with your trip

Even if you (OP) were to receive a DAS card, the process is to use the FP line. It's not front-of-line access. You would still likely have to be in a line (albeit a shorter one) for a period of time. You state earlier that even a short wait in slow/standing still may result in you being in pain. I agree with others that Disney will likely recommend a wheelchair (or other mobility equipment-consider taking a rollator) and not issue a DAS to you.

Disney has to offer you an accommodation, not the accommodation of your choice.

The reality is that each FP line has a finite capacity it can handle and provide fast service for FP holders and allow a standby line to function. Each DAS user that uses the line impacts that capacity and thus impacts operation of the ride. So even though you think having more wheelchairs in the parks is a burden, Disney has decided that more wheelchairs in the park is the lesser burden than the FP lines being used as an accommodation. Therefore they try to only give the DAS to those whose needs absolutely can not be met some other way besides using the FP line.

Fortunately, Disney's policy, as stated on their web page, isn't as narrow as y'all make it out to be.

In other places, I simply relocate to somewhere I can either walk around or sit and wait. If it was a wait to see Santa at the mall, for instance, the kids wait in line with my husband and I join them when they are near the front. Sometimes I take a camp stool. It's portable, but I'm not sure Disney would allow me to bring it through the gate.

Fortunately, Disney's policy, as stated on their web page, isn't as narrow as y'all make it out to be.

In other places, I simply relocate to somewhere I can either walk around or sit and wait. If it was a wait to see Santa at the mall, for instance, the kids wait in line with my husband and I join them when they are near the front. Sometimes I take a camp stool. It's portable, but I'm not sure Disney would allow me to bring it through the gate.

But many of these folks are talking from experience and what they know has happened in real life situations not what Disney's website states.

You said in your post you are confused. Maybe you can clarify what you are confused about as the good folks here have tried to provide you assistance.

In other places, I simply relocate to somewhere I can either walk around or sit and wait. If it was a wait to see Santa at the mall, for instance, the kids wait in line with my husband and I join them when they are near the front. .

Actually, it's exactly the way everyone has stated. DW is nothing like a small line for Santa at the mall. There's no way for you to wait until your family gets to the front of the line & then join them. You most likely wouldn't be able to see the boarding area since most aren't visible from the start of the line, and even if you could, you'd then have to cut through the line to reach your family.

Sometimes I take a camp stool. It's portable, but I'm not sure Disney would allow me to bring it through the gate.

This is why I suggest a rollator. It is allowed and easy to guide through the parks. It will give you, or someone in your party, an automatic seat when needed. This would help with unexpected long waits, such as a show wait, food line, or attraction line (FP or regular).

If my mom has her rollator and has to go to the restroom and there is no line, she leaves it out and someone else sits down until she is back. If we are in a place where she is able to move around freely and I am just waiting for her, I will sit down until she is back or needs it.

Right, Disney won't allow you to bring a camp stool or other type of chair, except a wheelchair or rollater - i.e. mobility device. Your issue as you describe it is a staminaissue, and Disney's recommendation is a mobility device. While you are reading the website one way, you're getting responses from guests with actual experience.

Utilizing FastPass and a good touring plan should resolve the need for either a DAS or a mobility device.

Snark isn't appreciated.

If you are participating in a RunDisney event, what do you intend to do while in the corral? There is a lot of standing in a crowded place. I have found that I stand in one spot for at least 45 minutes.

If you are participating in a RunDisney event, what do you intend to do while in the corral? There is a lot of standing in a crowded place. I have found that I stand in one spot for at least 45 minutes.

And, when I did it, also a lot of very slow (and crowded) walking at the end. Worse than most ride lines, actually.

Scarlet_ibis,

While it is not the accommodation you may have been looking for, it sounds as though your issue is mobility related which would not qualify you for the DAS. Like others have stated, Disney's recommendation if this is a concern is to use a wheelchair. Even with the DAS, you would still have to stand in line.

Also, as was mentioned in your recent post on the thread asking why Disney does not allow doctors notes, the ADA does not require it so Disney will not accept it. In this case, even if your doctor did write a note stating you needed accommodations (FOTL passes, etc.), it would not help since Disney will not view it.

That being said, hope you have a great trip and good luck with the run.

Fortunately, Disney's policy, as stated on their web page, isn't as narrow as y'all make it out to be. In other places, I simply relocate to somewhere I can either walk around or sit and wait. If it was a wait to see Santa at the mall, for instance, the kids wait in line with my husband and I join them when they are near the front. Sometimes I take a camp stool. It's portable, but I'm not sure Disney would allow me to bring it through the gate.

So sitting remedies your issue then...

A wheelchair is a portable seat. This is exactly why they suggest wheelchairs for issues like this. The only other seat like mobility aids I've seen allowed are rollators as previously suggested and the canes with seats attached (but I've also seen them denied).

I can understand the irritation when 2 accommodations meet your needs but you're given the less desirable one, but that's just the way it goes unfortunately. Depending upon when you're going the SB waits may be short anyway and you wouldn't need to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter