• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Issue with DVC Owners...

Guys I do appreciate all whom have responded yesterday and today--I am currently checking out need to catch up on some zzzzz but please continue on, I will be checking in tomorrow afternoon and would love to continue this chat!!! Goodnight guys Love DIS board and all members, even when it may sound like I dont, lol:love: :grouphug: :love:

Thank you!
You would not even begin to believe some of the folks--I had this lady that asking me to sell her points for $9 and wanted OKW since its where I own
She asked for grand villa now based on Disney Reserv. website in July very high season at my price $11 she would be saving more than $1000 but that is not enough she wants $9 but wait it doesnt end there while we replyed to each other it sliped that she was charging people in her party $380 per person for the week now it was a party of (10) don't ask me how comfy they're gonna be but that was and is her intention i know the villa is big but I cant even imagine so many people with me but that not my problem to each its own, lol. So not only is she saving at $11 and making a profit since she is charging the people in her party so much buut she wants to rip me off asking for $9 a point :eek:
Thats when I got nervous and said all these people I dont even know if there family, friends of hers or what!!---if they do something bad Im responsible you know, so I said no!!!
And when I said no she then was willing to pay the $11 I stood firm and responded points no longer for rent!! Not worth it---Goes to show that we are indeed in control cause the minute i was walking away she was willing to pay--perhaps that is what the renters must be---Firm with the asking price!!!

This is exactly a point of why I don't think I'd ever rent to a stranger. Plus the factor of possible damage, etc. We all want a bargain, but I really don't want to dicker with people..even in Juarez, I either pay the price or move on..I hate the game of dickering.
Anyway..maybe a better possibility is to offer a transfer at the going rate to another member so you can get some cash toward your cruise.

Whoops..you can't charge for transfered points? Really?
You know..I've never gotten any sort of paperwork from Disney, only from the resale company I bought through. I've also never gotten the 2008 planner. My guide said he'd sne them but that was weeks ago....I guess a call is in order. I don't know anything about the DVC rules.

I know it is semantics but I dont rent points, I sell vacations to people who are looking to save money on Disney rates. I offer perfect strangers anywhere from 35-60% discount to Disney rates. Depending on when they go ,if they stay on weekends all factors into what I offer them. I offer them a dollar figure for the days they are looking for. If they accept I make the ressies and than send me a personal check after I send the confirmation from Disney. No hassles no problems no contracts just simple transaction. If they dont agree to my price which alot dont than I move on to the next. I am only selling right now becasue I am taking the cruise and am usuing the money for that because the points are too expensive. people want deluxe accomadations for All-Star type pricing which too me is taking advanatge of someone. It crcks me up when people post they want to see thier dreams come true can you help me out and I send an email saving them 50% on what Disney would charge and they are like that is too expensive. I dont talk price per point with anyone I just tell them how much I am saving them and the amount of points I use is not really any of thier concern. They are not comparing apples to apples becasue they have no idea how much I paid for the points,annual dues, if I financed and exactly what my total cost is. Hell I dont even know what my total cost is.

You want to state your view, please allow others to do the same. Not everyone will agree or disagree with you, but you opened the discussion up and will surely not see everyone sharing your same view. No one intends anything personally, just their opinions. Share the Love!! :grouphug:

Well Put. Share you views in a positive way. We are all one big happy DIS family.

If we all agree to sell at $12 per point, and stick to it, renters will still buy all we have to offer. They will still save money vs. cash through Disney and we will maintain the value of our investment while increasing resale values as well.

Who's with me?

I agree completely. They will still save approx. 50% over central reservations.

It's tricky to use developer rental rates as the comparison point, because developer rates are for a different product---one with a very lenient cancellation policy, for example. In effect, the cash CRO rates are higher in part because Disney is accepting the risk of a change in the traveler's plans. In a DVC rental, the renter must accept that risk instead.

(Of course, that risk can be "sold" by purchasing trip insurance, but in my experience almost no renters do this.)

There are lots of other differences---market power, corporate backing, etc., all of which play a role in helping Disney command the prices it can. To put it another way: when I consider purchasing a timeshare, I don't use developer rental rates as a comparison point. I use *direct from owner* rates, instead.

(Interestingly, with my opportunity cost assumptions, I have figured the "break-even rental value" of a $75 OKW resale deed at about $10.50 per point.)

What's more, you aren't competing only with CRO, and for that matter you aren't only competing with Disney rooms. There is a price at which the renter will just get a week at one of the Marriotts or Hiltons, instead---they can be rented reliably for $1500 or less for a 2BR week in peak season, while even at $10pp, a 2BR DVC unit is roughly double that (or more).

Of course, Disney provides some perks that simply can't be replicated by the other resorts in the area. But, everyone puts a "value" on those perks, and there will be a point at which people are not willing to pay in high enough numbers to support a particular price level.

I know it is semantics but I dont rent points, I sell vacations to people who are looking to save money on Disney rates. I offer perfect strangers anywhere from 35-60% discount to Disney rates. Depending on when they go ,if they stay on weekends all factors into what I offer them. I offer them a dollar figure for the days they are looking for. If they accept I make the ressies and than send me a personal check after I send the confirmation from Disney. No hassles no problems no contracts just simple transaction. If they dont agree to my price which alot dont than I move on to the next. I am only selling right now becasue I am taking the cruise and am usuing the money for that because the points are too expensive. people want deluxe accomadations for All-Star type pricing which too me is taking advanatge of someone. It crcks me up when people post they want to see thier dreams come true can you help me out and I send an email saving them 50% on what Disney would charge and they are like that is too expensive. I dont talk price per point with anyone I just tell them how much I am saving them and the amount of points I use is not really any of thier concern. They are not comparing apples to apples becasue they have no idea how much I paid for the points,annual dues, if I financed and exactly what my total cost is. Hell I dont even know what my total cost is.

Why should a member subsidize a non-member's vacation? That's what I don't get. Maybe some of you want to "share the magic" with a total stranger, but not me.

The only reason I am renting points is they are developer points that will expire. I found a nice (well from what I can tell be email) family and rented them out for $12 a point. There was no way I would go below that. I did find the whole renting process a lot of work for little compensation. That being said, it did drop my price per point another 5 bucks, so I am happy with that.

I did decide to take a last minute trip to DL so will be using the remaining points and plan on never going through the hassle of renting points again. I will either bank points or use them up somehow...I'm sure I will find a way.

Why should a member subsidize a non-member's vacation? That's what I don't get. Maybe some of you want to "share the magic" with a total stranger, but not me.

you dont have to that is what makes this world go around. we all have different opinions and beliefs. i have 400 points that i cannot use on a yearly basis so i sell to usually family or friends and a cut rate and save them even more than 60%. But in this case I sold $6000 worth of vacations and paid $4200 for the cruise in 2009. I made an additional $1800 and saved 200 additional points I would have had to use to book with points. Simple economics tells me I did the smart thing for my financial situation. I am not saying everyone should do it but for my families best ineterest it was best to see the vacations. Also for those of you who give your points to family and friends for no charge I think that is great but I am in no financail situation to do so and my family and friends would never accept without paying me something.
I am helping a total stranger share the magic and they are helping me pay for my cruise plus spending money. It is a good deal for both of us.

I would have no problem 'sharing the magic' with a stranger as long as the stranger is a member.

I would have no problem 'sharing the magic' with a stranger as long as the stranger is a member.
I can tell you that my experience is that it's easier and safer dealing with non members than members. As a rule the non members I've dealt with have been very appreciative, members not as much, more demanding and more pushy trying to haggle.

my parents arent members so i shouldnt have them stay on my points..alot of people after staying become members....i think that is a silly statement..they are all strangers to me so whoever is willing to pay i will sell too...which is my right,,,

my parents arent members so i shouldnt have them stay on my points..alot of people after staying become members....i think that is a silly statement..they are all strangers to me so whoever is willing to pay i will sell too...which is my right,,,

sorry that your parents are strangers golfnut.

I know my parents and have no problem sharing with them. If you are going to quote me you should understand the quote. Or maybe you do not understand what a stranger is. Anyway, you stated my posting as silly. Well your just as silly not knowing your parents and letting them stay on your points. (no need to reply I know what you meant)

I think it is great that you usually sell your 400 points to family and friends, once again NOT strangers. :banana:

As far as I am concerned, if I ever needed to get rid of points because they were going to expire, I would be happy to rent them for my dues only. But because I can get more, I would rent for more. This is not a business for us so I don't really care what the going price is as long as I'm not losing any money.

I have never rented my points. Perhaps people get caught up in the DVC thing and buy more points than they really need and have to rent to cover themselves.

I am not for the commercial renting of points.

As to the price, I think that $10 per point is too low. But if I were ever to rent, I'd probably rent to a coworker and do it at $10 per point. My friends and family get to go for free when I have points available for it. But I don't just give them the points. They'd be going with us.

I haven't rented my points, either. I did transfer IN points for $10 per point from someone who needed to get rid of them when I needed them for a huge family reunion I planned for last Dec. Then this year, I transfered points OUT at $11 per point to a fellow DVC member. I have no intention of renting my points in the future. If I have excess points, I will watch the rent board here at DIS until I see someone who needs what I have and then contact them. If I need more points (doubtful now that we own "extra" points after purchasing 200 at AKV last year) then I will watch the rent board until I find someone who has the points available to transfer to me.

I have taken family with me and don't charge them anything for the points. I have also had a friend need one night at VWL so that I charged her $10 per point. Seems reasonable to me. It was in the lowest cost season, December.

I can tell you that when I have rented points, none of them have ever been less then $12 per point. There are so many out there that want to rent, I don't need to negotiate. I don't deal with bargain hunters. If I have a post for rent and someone responds they are interested, but only want to pay $10 per point. I don't even respond to them. I won't respond to a responder who posts on every rental ad on the page.

To the OP, rent your points at a price you feel is fair. I think you will find plenty of happy renters at $12-$16 per point.....I have!
Like tomandrobin (and no, I'm not his "robin" ;)) I have also rented out points for no less than $12 per point in the last year or so. I used to rent out points for less, but that was many, many years ago. Now $12 is my minimum. I also do not deal or bargain on my price point. If a buyer wants a better deal, I will politely tell them that they are welcome to try other DVC members and send them on their way. Some renters have waved goodbye and some like the OP's OKW renter came back and accepted my rate.

OP, just because other people are selling points at rock bottom prices doesn't mean that you have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter