• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Isabel Survivor checking in

jgalecpa

<font color=green>DANG, that is one big fish!</fon
Everyone laughed when I bought a generator. Who's laughing now? Estimated time to get power on is Thurs 9/25 at 6pm

I have enough 5500 watts, which is pretty good it turns out.

No major damage to here or in Ocean City.

Looks like autumn came early though.

DD-Shannon (12) was a bit disappointed. She wanted more. Kids!

Thanks for all the thoughts

Bring on the cruise!

Jim

Made it through fine here Jim-Bo, no real problems at all, a few tree branches down in the yard, but that's about it for us.

My DD 13 was hoping for a day off from school, heck, they just started two weeks ago!!!

Glad you're all ok jim, I'm looking forward to Xmas!! 90 days soon!!:Pinkbounc

Jim, Glad you hear you and yours are ok! Hope they get the power up sooner!

Power is just back on outside Annapolis, much sooner than we expected. But it does look like all our cruise spending money will be gone repairing the community beach. Major damage to beach house and pier. The boats from the Naval Accademy are anchored outside of our community, their lights were the only thing on till now.

Kids with rakes are making money hand over fist in our neighborhood.

Thanks for all the kinds thoughts and prayers Dis'ers

Originally posted by jgalecpa
Everyone laughed when I bought a generator. Who's laughing now? Estimated time to get power on is Thurs 9/25 at 6pm

I have enough 5500 watts, which is pretty good it turns out.
Jim

Excellent planning on your behalf! WTG! :)

Anyone know anything about Atlantic City? I'm heading there tomorrow for the weekend.

Originally posted by CRSNDSNY
Excellent planning on your behalf! WTG! :)

Anyone know anything about Atlantic City? I'm heading there tomorrow for the weekend.

The Miss America Shoe Parade was going on as planned tonight on the boardwalk, so I guess everything down that way is O.K. My sister lives about 5 miles from Atlantic City and she called and said she was doing fine tonight.

Hi Melody.

Better bring along an extra shirt, just in case...

anything on Newport News? I'm wating for a email from friends in the area(they left for a anime convention when the storm hit)

Originally posted by plutojudy
Jim and Andy, glad to hear you are safe.

I survived Isabel and even got your pins finished Judy!!!

Hey CourtasanSatine,
Newport News is really banged up....Power out, phone service out(still as of this afternoon), trees and powerlines down everywhere in lots of neighborhoods. My parents live in Denbigh along with alot of my friends. They jumped in their car today to drive to my Brother's in Winston-Salem NC. Mom said she has to have electricity and phones. We( DH and myself) still own a home in NN, no word from our renters since power outage. We are hoping for the best for everyone!

Rohu13: thanks for the update.I'll pass word to my friends since they left a day or so before the storm hit(but they have family there)

Lost part of a hemlock and a few braches out of a maple tree, but mostly in good shape here. 'Net was down for most of today due to a DNS being down in Charlottesville, but seems like we have everything back now.

Julie

We just had the very outer edge of the storm with light rain and some gusts of wind literally. You could see the line of clouds in the sky with the sun trying to break through the edge. The sky was a beautiful peach and purple color at sunset. My daughter witnessed a beautiful full rainbow at sunset during her cheerleading practice. (I was disappointed I missed it) I hope all who lost power get it back soon. I can empathize with you since we lost power for days in last December's ice storm. When I heard of Isabel threatening the mid atlantic states, I bought the usual supplies. I didn't need them this time, but I guess I'm ready for the next time. My thoughts are with those cleaning up from the storm. Take Care.

So glad to hear everyone is safe and ok - as for the generator - a purchase you will never regret - I just pray you never have to use it again.
Thanks to those that "checked in" - I kept each of you in thoughts and prayers.
Luv ya all
Always
Shirley

CourtasanSatine,

I live in Richmond now, but most of family is down in Newport News, Williamsburg, and Gloucester.

The whole area got hit pretty hard. Trees are down, power out. An uncle has three trees on his roof and can't get anyone to take them down. An aunt was told that power work wasn't just a repair job, but that it was a replacement operation. They were told that the power would be out for days.

In addition to power being out, public water supplies are contaminated (here in Richmond too). Here in Richmond and surrounding counties, the power outage caused most of the population to be completely without water - contaminated or not.

The few stores that are open don't have batteries or bottled water to sell.

Most of family members have generators but they are all running out of gas. The few stations down there that have power generally have lines in excess of an hour. After an hour waiting at one station, my brother got to the front of the line and the station ran out of gas.

We spent the day collecting gas cans and filling them for a resupply trip down tomorrow for the family.

I have heard unofficial reports that it may be as long as 3 more days before we can drink the tap water and may be as much as 3 weeks before everyone in the state has their power restored.

A resturant here in Henrico County burned to the ground yesterday while the fireman could only stand by and watch. No water from the hydrants, and they couldn't get enough tanker trucks back and forth to a pond two miles away to make much difference.

Fortunately for us, we only lost a couple of trees and had to run the generator for about 15 hours.

Danny

DBC3804: I passed word to my friends and they decided to extend the trip to let things calm down a little(the apartment they share came through but no power or services)

My dh (and the other Troopers...) returned today from "hurricane duty". After a 10 hr. drive, he is home, safe & sound! God does answer prayers!! ;)

Glad to hear other DISer's are ok! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter