• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is your dog a picky pooper?

I have one that will poop on anything. He'll just be walking along and suddenly squat and let it happen.

The other one, on the other hand,is very picky where he poops. He does what my dh and I call 'the poop dance'. He can dance around forever before finding the perfect spot. He's also a perimeter pooper. He usually poops along the perimeter of our yard.

My dog won't poop in the grass- she prefers the patio or the nice clean side walk. She does spin around for hours before she does her business and if interrupted will start all over again. And if any poop gets in her hair - she goes wild until she gets it away.. She gets groomed weekly to make sure her hair is trimmed really short for this very reason. She is definitely a picky pooper!:goodvibes

Our one dog was the same way when we adopted him. A few months after adopting him, we took him on an overnight hiking trip. There was no grass in the woods, so he refused to do his business! He woke us up frantic in the middle of the night because he had to pee, but there was no where to do it - millions of trees all around us, but nowhere for a dog to pee! Lol. Finally, my exasperated husband used a tree to 'lead by example'. The problem was solved after that. :rotfl2:

:rotfl2:

Mine's not picky so much as distracted. No matter how many times a day we take her out she must investigate every square inch of the yard and every spot she has previously gone to the bathroom. She's also a creepin crapper which drives me nuts. Just stop and do your business! No, once the position has been assumed and she starts, then she starts creepin around during the event. Finally once done she must then sniff out that area for a while longer.

Neither mosquito's or rain have any kind of effect on her.

Our one dog was the same way when we adopted him. A few months after adopting him, we took him on an overnight hiking trip. There was no grass in the woods, so he refused to do his business! He woke us up frantic in the middle of the night because he had to pee, but there was no where to do it - millions of trees all around us, but nowhere for a dog to pee! Lol. Finally, my exasperated husband used a tree to 'lead by example'. The problem was solved after that. :rotfl2:

When I adopted my dog, he didn't know anything: he didn't know what a dog bed was, or dog treats, ...
So, I also had to lead by example. The first week he was with me, I spent on hands and knees and showed what he was supposed to do with the dog bed, how to eat dog treats (they don't taste all that bad actually), ...
TG he knew how to do his business, so I didn't have to show that!

Puppyupolis Nutt (PNutt for short) will only poop in his own back yard. We take him for walks every day, but he waits until he gets home and runs to the very top of the hill at the very back of the yard and goes behind the tree or in the ivy. Makes it a real pain when we go on vacation. I swear I've had that dog out on a leash for an hour trying to get him to go when we're visiting the in-laws in Cape May, NJ!

His sister the greyhound goes within 5 minutes of exiting the house, whether on a walk or just out to the yard. And if on a walk, she'll go at least one time for every 3 blocks.

Haha, this all sounds so familiar. I thought our sheltie was the only dog in the world who had to circle, sniff, circle, sniff some more, no distractions, movements, etc, etc until the perfect moment. This makes for a very hectic morning trying to get to work.

These stories are cracking me up! I have 2 dogs, the older one does a poop dance but will go, and the puppy will only go in one spot and it has to be on the grass. The older dog paces until she finds her perfect spot then keeps moving her feet like she is kneading the ground, if there is any distractions she starts all over again to look for the perfect spot only to go back to her original spot, thankfully she will poop anywhere. The puppy is just crazy, we will go on a walk and she won't poop. As soon as we get home, she will run and run and run and run and run...until she finds the exact same spot everytime. Big problem is we live in a condo so I had to buy an extra long leash so she can run it out!!! But forget it if as much as a leaf blows from the bush of her favorite spot, then she gives up and I have to bring her inside until she notifies me 15 minutes later she really has to go and the process starts all over again.

I wish my dog were more picky. She's been known to go ANYWHERE outside, including the middle of the street. Yup, there's nothing like picking up poop in the middle of a 4-way intersection with drivers gawking at you. Cappie is a very good puppy, but she will absolutely NOT move once she's started the process of going #2.

My 5 year old chihuahua Cuervo will run back and forth about a billion times in about a 5 min time span sniffing a small area(I live in an apartment and always have him on his leash outside) he is easily distracted so I usually have to tell him "go potty" about 15 times as well: hen he finally finds a spot he circles about 20 times until he finally goes..... That's if he doesnt decide that its the wrong spot and start the process over

Ha! One of our 3 is ridiculous! She drives us INSANE with her poop routine. It has to be the exact right spot. She has to go back and forth a million times - sometimes with the poop already coming out. The only time she will hurry up to do her business is when she gets worked up about something - seeing another dog, people going by in four wheeler, etc. She drives us crazy! The other 2 just get out there and do it and enjoy the rest of their walk. They get much longer ones because of the trouble pooper!

I'm a city dweller and my 6 year old cockapoo does pretty well. he doesn't have a ton of options and usually makes things quick and easy. I think he understands our expectations and is usually excited to run after some stranger as soon as he is finished.

I'm a city dweller and my 6 year old cockapoo does pretty well. he doesn't have a ton of options and usually makes things quick and easy. I think he understands our expectations and is usually excited to run after some stranger as soon as he is finished.

My DD has two cockapoos and I have one, and they are the easiest dogs ever for taking care of business. Just wish my sheltie was.

I wish my dog were more picky. She's been known to go ANYWHERE outside, including the middle of the street. Yup, there's nothing like picking up poop in the middle of a 4-way intersection with drivers gawking at you. Cappie is a very good puppy, but she will absolutely NOT move once she's started the process of going #2.

LOL that is funny to me but I bet embarrassing to you! At least they see you pick it up :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter