Is WoC worth the time commitment?

I have to say, the opinions on this thread are kind of refreshing. We "watched" both WOC and Fantasmic our last trip. I'm 5'2" and have 2 young kids LOL. We didn't get to see much honestly. And they're not that interested. Even with the fireworks, DD didn't really care.

They will be 4.5 and 7.5 this year when we go, still not super tall. I wonder if it's worth it to sit there and wait for these shows.

We stopped trying to view the WOC. It was very stressful every time with the crowds and lack of clear sight and its just not worth it. If Disney got its act together and created an organized viewing area it would absolutely be a must see but the way it stands now, it is not worth the hassle.

I am surprised at some ppl in this thread. Yes it is worth the time. We lined up and got in the first 3 people in the quee and straight to the rail spot last Nov. The winter woc was my favorite thing that day. I recorded it well my hubby did and my son was singing all the songs. It was a lot of fun. I will be seeing the new one. We were thinking of doing the woc dinner, or we will try and do the 2 ed show a night.
I am 5 foot no taller and always worry about seeing anything. I have heard by the little mermaid ride is a good place to just "walk up moments before the show starts" or the fire hydrant spot that used to work. Not to sure it does now.

I wish for F and WOC they would put stadium seats in.

I am surprised at some ppl in this thread. Yes it is worth the time. We lined up and got in the first 3 people in the quee and straight to the rail spot last Nov. The winter woc was my favorite thing that day. I recorded it well my hubby did and my son was singing all the songs. It was a lot of fun. I will be seeing the new one. We were thinking of doing the woc dinner, or we will try and do the 2 ed show a night.
I am 5 foot no taller and always worry about seeing anything. I have heard by the little mermaid ride is a good place to just "walk up moments before the show starts" or the fire hydrant spot that used to work. Not to sure it does now.

I think it all depends on what you value in DL. Like some people live characters and line up for M&Gs or do breakfasts. I asked DD if she wanted to do a meal to meet the characters and she said no. She's much rather do other things or go on rides. My kids aren't big show fans, and while they will watch WoC or F, it's not a "must do" for them.

So for us, we may pull FP and do shows, but lining up for hours to see them probably isn't worth the time.

I do think if the seating and the system was a little better, it would be more desirable .

I really appreciate everyone's opinions. I may try to see WoC the first night by just walking up, and if that doesn't work, then maybe I can see it another night after the conference activities end. I did buy the Blue Bayou dinner package for my second night to see Fantasmic. I've never seen it at WDW, and I'm glad because I hear the DL one is much better! So for that, I did want to secure a really great spot. I hope it works!

I'm in the same boat but traveling with a 2, 4 and 7 year old is the reason I'm unwilling to line up 60-90 minutes early. Hoping we can do the bridge spot or stand back by Little Mermaid ride as I've read there more open 'walk-up' spots. I've booked CC dinner package for our last night just in case but with mixed food reviews I'm not sure it's worth the money when the viewing spot is questionable. We're staying at GCV can we use the viewing room?

I really appreciate everyone's opinions. I may try to see WoC the first night by just walking up, and if that doesn't work, then maybe I can see it another night after the conference activities end. I did buy the Blue Bayou dinner package for my second night to see Fantasmic. I've never seen it at WDW, and I'm glad because I hear the DL one is much better! So for that, I did want to secure a really great spot. I hope it works!
I think that's s great plan. Fantasmic is a terrific show, and you will love having a good spot for it.
We've done a walk up for WOC before. Just make sure you pick up a FP for it earlier in the day. We had yellow, and even though we didn't see it front row, it was a decent spot for not investing any time for it. I'm sure what kind of spot you get will vary depending on the night.

I was planning to do CC dining package, but this thread is really making me rethink it. Since we are staying at GCV, I think DD and I will just watch from there. I don't think it would be worth it to be to stand in long lines (when we have limited park time), fight crowds, and still not be able to see well (I'm short, BTW).

I'm in the same boat but traveling with a 2, 4 and 7 year old is the reason I'm unwilling to line up 60-90 minutes early. Hoping we can do the bridge spot or stand back by Little Mermaid ride as I've read there more open 'walk-up' spots. I've booked CC dinner package for our last night just in case but with mixed food reviews I'm not sure it's worth the money when the viewing spot is questionable. We're staying at GCV can we use the viewing room?

We've only seen WOC two, maybe three times. The first time my DD was only one (almost 5 now) and was asleep in her stroller. We went to the second show. They sent us straight down to the front. We got pretty wet, but the view was great! The second time I sat with my sleeping son while my husband and daughter went on a ride. There was only one showing. Even though I waited a good while, we didn't get a great view of the shoved in the middle of a big crowd. I don't remember if we saw it last year. We'll only bother trying to watch it during our trip this year if they're previewing the new show. If it's still the old one, we won't bother. It is a good show, but if you can't get a good view it's not worth it. If there is a second show, that's the one to see. I'm worried about the new way they're doing Fantasmic. I preferred when people had to sit. It was easier to see.

I'm with you on this. I've seen WoC 5 times, twice doing the WCT dining and three times with CC dining. Like JadeDarkstar, we get there early and go right for a rail spot. Yes, you do have to sit and wait but DH and I trade off between holding the spot and taking DS on a few rides, getting hot chocolate and snacks etc. We chat with the people around us and one of the times we were sitting right next to a family from the same city as we are from. DS has his game to play and I bring glow necklaces to share.

I'm only 5 ft 2, DH is 5 ft 6 and DS is 4 ft 3 but none of us have ever had any problem with being able to see.

Last time we chatted with this nice group of girls who were CM's and it was just so cool I forget what all we talked about but it was a nice time. We set the blankets on the ground leaned against the rail got snacks and drinks and had a nice little time before the woc show

I have heard good and bad reviews but my family LOVED it! Honestly, it's one of those things you gotta see once. We saw it and then on our next trip, we didn't see the need to see it again and took advantage of shorter lines while everyone else saw it. But it was awesome still and totally worth the wait IMO. :)

IMO, WOC is worth the time. What we did was we were at DCA at park opening (EE) to ride RSR first thing. We then rode Toy Story a few times and eventually made our way to Grizzly River Run where the WOC FP machine is and grabbed our FP for WOC (blue). That night we went to the WOC area about an hour and a half early but it wasn't too busy so we rode the Little Mermaid ride and then checked back and lined up. Shortly after the CM's let people go into the area. We went straight for the bridge, had a great view. It wasn't too crowded over there so easily had a rail spot for the kids. If you are with a group you can send one person out to grab a snack/drinks to bring back to help pass the last of the time.

I have heard good and bad reviews but my family LOVED it! Honestly, it's one of those things you gotta see once. We saw it and then on our next trip, we didn't see the need to see it again and took advantage of shorter lines while everyone else saw it. But it was awesome still and totally worth the wait IMO. :)

I agree, we have seen it twice and both times we loved it. The first time we were slightly on the side and the view wasn't perfect but the music and lights and fireworks were still great. The second time we were on one of the rails near the back and my daughter LOVED it. We arrived 45 minutes early that time and it was the week of the 4th of July. It is one of our favorite things to do and we look forward to seeing the new show.

Now that the hours are posted for my dates, I'm very excited that WOC is scheduled for 2 shows, but only for my arrival day. Does anyone know what time FastPasses usually run out for the second show? With no delays, the earliest I'd probably make it to DCA that day would be 12:30 PM. I'm thinking that I will either grab a FP for the second show at 10:15 PM, or try to watch it from Cove Bar.

I would guess you could get a FP for the second show still in the early afternoon, but I guess that depends on what the reviews of the new show is once it starts.

As for whether it is worth it or not, we've probably seen it 4-5 times. I ask my kids if they want to try to see it every time we go thinking that they will finally have had their fill of waiting for more than an hour and they still want to see it. This last time, we showed up about an hour before, right when they were starting to let people in to the viewing area. We just stayed to the back and went all the way over to the edge of the stairs. You couldn't go on the stairs because they were reserved, but I figured right on that rope line would be as good a place for my 4'6 son to see it as anywhere and it worked out well for us because they eventually opened the stairs up for viewing. I don't know how often it happens, but we had specifically asked a cast member fairly close to the start of the show if they were going to fill that space and he told me that if the people didn't show, they would open it up. So there is one idea: stand by a reserved spot and see what happens.

We started talking to another family that was seeing it for the first time. It was their children's first trip to DL and the first time she had been there since she was a child. (So not a Disney nut like me). The mom asked me if the show was worth all the time they invested in seeing it, which was your initial question. I told her that we loved it and that I hoped they would too. I asked her after the show and she whole heartedly agreed that it was definitely worth the time it took to see it.

With the current show, I don't think so. We have always had priority sitting un the CarthayCircle area. The first time we didn't line up that early. 15 - 20 minutes? There was always a spot. I actually prefer the steps area. Easier to see. The second time, we just had a deal. We were actually going to pass but join the CC area at the last minute. Again not a problem.

Unlike DL, it's not impossible to see anything if you don't have the right spot. Sometimes we get a brief glimpse while in line for the Ariel Ride.

I'm also not the best person to ask because I'm not big on shows or parades. I never sit for over 30 minutes for these events. We also stay at PPH and have seen the back view from our room... Playing the music from the TV. And I'm perfectly fine with that

Would anyone recommend just skipping the first and going solely for the second show?
Is it less crowded?
Can you ask for a FP for the second show even if they are giving out the first or do you have to keep ckg back?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter