Is week after thanksgiving really "best" week to visit?

disneydreamer1980

DIS Veteran
I have our first FW cabin trip booked for November 26-December 5 of this year. I chose this week because multiple websites listed it as the 'best' week to visit, with very low crowds and good weather. Now, I know there are always crowds at WDW, but it seems to me that from what I've been hearing, this time has been very crowded the past 2 years. Has anyone stayed at FW during this time? Are the parks very crowded? Low crowds are kind of important to us due to a child with sensory difficulties. Thanks for your help.

For the record I have not stayed at the Fort during that time (did go once for Thanksgiving week though).

That used to be one of the super "secret" times to go because of low crowds and the resorts/parks would be getting into their Christmas decorations if they weren't already. Weather is generally still comfortable.

But Disney has been doing more across the calendar to fill up the slow times of the year and I think in the past free dining (not available for campsites) has been offered as have bounce-backs after Thanksgiving for a while which fills up the resorts and puts more people in the parks. And Disney is doing more exact staffing in the parks to match crowd sizes which might make it feel more crowded.

I've hung around here on the DIS long enough to know it's still a good time to go (as good as any) and certainly better than the week before or later in December. Other than the week before and after Labor Day (not counting the holiday weekend) and late January to early February, it's as good a time as any. Even that, Food and Wine will start earlier this year in September to try to get more people to come then. So Disney is trying to boost the slow times.

It's all relative so my advice would be to go then, avoid the parks with evening Extra Magic Hours on those particular days, and you should hit it as best possible.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
First The best time to go to WDW is when ever you can. As for week after Thanksgiving we were there in a cabin 4 years ago. We did find at that time that the crowds did decrease after the weekend most evident at AK and DHS. We avoid early am EMH but will do evenings (Sorry Ed ) just works better for us. We loved that by the end of the week Holiday decorations were up everywhere including many of the campsites and cabins in The Fort.

First The best time to go to WDW is when ever you can.
Totally agree with Mike on this.

So I have been to the Fort several times during the week after Thanksgiving. In fact we check in on Thanksgiving day and stay the rest of that week and the next week. The weekend after Thanksgiving is crowded but thins out on Sunday. The Monday after Thanksgiving is usually much better. However, it is still fairly crowded. As Ed points out WDW is trying to do whatever they can to fill the resorts (and subsequently the parks) so it is getting more crowded. Still, it's a "Lower" time for the crowds.

Some tips to help things. As Ed points out, the EMH days are a concern. My logic is to avoid the park that has EMH in the morning. The evening isn't usually as bad (IMHO). I like to go to the park that had EMH the day before. Typically the EMH parks tend to be crowded and MOST folks don't like to do the same park 2 days in a row (except for maybe MK), so the crowds tend to be lower in the park that had EMH the day before.

Other tips... Timing your Fast Passes are critical too and can make or break a visit.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease...I know we'll have a good time regardless and we're super excited about staying at FW. Just wanted some reassurance I guess.

I just booked the week after Thanksgiving for my husband and I. Honestly, in my opinion the term "crowded" is relative.....we all have different crowd tolerances and what is awful to one is not bad to another. Disney does such a great job with making ride lines bearable and fast passes it makes crowded times easier to manage.

We have arrived the day B4 Thanksgiving & stayed until Dec 6th. The Sat after Thanksgiving the crowds were light. Also they were filming the Christmas parade @ MK. On the Friday after Thanksgiving, we woke up to all the Christmas decorations. I also vote for you guys to go at Thanksgiving!

The crowd calendars are estimates based off of previous years. They're normally pretty good, but as time progresses, the parks are staying more and more crowded at times they traditionally weren't so use the calendars for what they are.

You just kinda have to think that as forums like this become (more) popular and people google stuff looking for their vacations that a very empty time could become a very busy time with no warning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter