Is vmk trying to get rid of rare?

pixiewytch

DIS Veteran
You know, this bombardment of re releases in the past six months leads me to believe that vmk is trying to level the playing field and get rid of exclusivity of items. Everything has been fair game lately from beta to rare costumes and HKDL shirt. We have seen just as many re releases as we have new items. If this is the trend from here on out I find it hard to believe that anything will ever be rare. So what do you think? Is vmk trying make the game less about being the "envy of the kingdom"? It sure seems that way to me. If they keep up the way things are now I just can't imagine anything retaining much value...not to mention that people will eventually be wary of trading a lot because there is a huge chance what they are trading will be released in the near future. I can see the good and bad points to this but just wondering if anyone else sees where this is headed. Bad vmk economy or equal opportunity for all? :confused3

well i think they should, i know people that cry in reaal life that got scammed out of something, (my sister), but no one knows

I doubt it, trading is to big a part of the game, but I do think they are purposely lowering the value of items.

Yeah but people are going to lose trading confidence if they fear that something they traded their inventory for is going to be released in the next month. That can't help support the trading community.

Yeah but people are going to lose trading confidence if they fear that something they traded their inventory for is going to be released in the next month. That can't help support the trading community.

Yes, this is true. I kinda of feel that this may possibly be a result of people scamming for riches and then getting reported. VMK probably got tired of the reports and figured this is the way to circumvent scamming. Just a thought.

that started happening in December 05, with the return of the red turnstile and scoreboard. This really isnt a new thing for VMK to be doing.

I know that but doesn't it seem like a lot more re releases have been happening in the last year, almost eclipsing the new items released?

I think they are trying to make it more fair to EVERYONE.

Yeah VMK bring on the rare. :lmao:

Yes but the haves will still have an upper hand because the have nots are the ones trading multiple items for that "rare" item...so when the item is re released it is a win win for the person who traded it away but a lose for the person who traded so much to get it....

not that I don't think after time it may be more fair but it will still take a great deal of time....and maybe re releasing the minnie hat, sparrow, stitch hat, and bird hat.:laughing:

"Rare" doesn't really mean anything. "Availability" is a better word. I tried coming up with a formula to see how rare stuff is in relation to other things, but it didn't really work.

If VMK is really trying to get rid of rare, they will lose a lot more players. If you think about it, most of the serious players (notice the omission of the word 'rich') play because they trade, and they have less available stuff.

It's really no fun when everyone has the same item you have, even I must admit that.

As long as my favorite items don't come out (Fireworks magic, blue DLR retro furnish, People Mover and WDW hotel pins, etc.) I am good. :)

At the same time, think about all the new things that are being released. While they make older items less rare by releasing it, these new items become rare to some degree once they're pulled from the shops. Maybe they're creating new rare since everyone is struggling to get enough credits to buy all the items, especially the magic pins! I'm sure many people didn't have enough credits to buy everything that was released.

For me, the release of rare items gets me bummed at first because I traded a lot for many of the things that I have. I also know that I would probably be a bit upset if they released Minnie since I spent over 125K in items and credits to get mine. But the reason I did that was because I really wanted it (I posted on another thread a while ago that it was one of those hats I always wanted in real life as a kid but never got). Yes, if they released Minnie, everyone would be wearing it at first. But then after a while, I think people will settle into their own personal styles. I understand that some people may purposely want to wear rare things in VMK, but I wear Minnie just because it's my favorite hat. If I didn't have it, I would wear the sorcerer hat, even though everybody and their mother has it at this point.

The trade boards are still doing well, IMO. People selling things for credits or new items gives other players the opportunity to get things that they want that are actually at cheaper prices than when I initially traded for them!

I've been playing since last summer so with all that I've traded, I'm starting to get those "I can't believe they released that when I traded so much for it!" feelings. But I like thinking about those people who have been trying to get their hands on it for so long and the rerelease has made their day! :)

I doubt it, trading is to big a part of the game, but I do think they are purposely lowering the value of items.

I've got to agree with aengus here. It kind of does seem like it's been on purpose.

I know that but doesn't it seem like a lot more re releases have been happening in the last year, almost eclipsing the new items released?

It has seemed like a lot of old things have been re-released lately, but I kind of like the idea. I remember when I was a new VMKer it would have been really nice to be ale to have some of the really cool things like a red HKDL shirt or things like that. I would ask people if they wanted to trade only to hear things like "don't you know this is beta?!" like I really cared when it was released, I just thought it was a cool item!
I really like the idea of them releasing things through Disney Movie Rewards. Then at least inferno isn't AS hard to get, but it's still a bit more unattainable so it still keeps a high amount of value. But I know I was jazzed when I heard that I actually has a chance at getting an inferno!
I also think a lot of VMK re-releasing things has to do with the scamming. Honestly, how many times a day do we all hear about someone being scammed? And those of us who have been scammed, know it really stinks. There are people who play VMK just to scam people out of their things and sell them online or something. Anyway, I think that they could keep things out for shorter amounts of time. Such as the red HKDL shirt which has been out pretty much all month. I think it may cause a little less controversy if they'd release things like that through more one day quests or something.
But personally, I'm totally ok with being able to get some of these things without having to trade ungodly amounts of rare items for stuff that I think is hardly worth it. And I'm really happy that all the new VMKers have a chance to have nice things too. And if it bothers people that much, they know how to quit. (Just means less lag for the rest of us:laughing: )

I bet that whoever replaced Yavn as the main developer of VMK decided that he didn't like the trading aspect of the game and is now releasing the rare items.

I agree with you about releasing things for a shorter period of time. Personally I think that is the best compromise. People get the opportunity to purchase something that used to be rare but then it is quickly retired to give it a higher value. Sure, I know that ppl complain that somebody is going to miss something if it is quickly retired but honestly, most players are on nearly every day with the exception of something unique going on in their lives.

I am new to the game and have only beem playing less than a year. However knowing that new players join all the time, some items will always have a value, someone is always going to want to trade. Seems like a good idea. However I love the idea of it only being released a short period of time!

if they are, I LOVE IT!

if they arent, thtas okay.

im glad they are just finally making it more fun releasing all this awesome stuff! but at bad times lol.

The re-releasing of rare items does not make things more fair or lower scamming. In fact, in my opinion, it increases scamming and makes things more unfair than ever.

How?

Take a stitch hat for example. If you wanted 1 previously there were a variety of items that you could use to try to trade for it, including a red HKDL shirt which most valued between 3-4 firewalls.

Now that the red HKDL is a common item, that is no longer wanted in a stitch trade so it eliminates 1 more valued item that you could use to get a stitch hat. This is forcing the other "wanted items" to become more value-able and causing trades for stitch to need more items. This means more trade windows and a large opportunity to let ppl who try to scam, scam more.

By removing the middle, the top becomes more unattainable.

As for scamming, you fix that by removing the scammers, not the items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter