Is VMK an "educational" game? I need to convince my school!

JeanJoe said:
Umm, then why not just say it? Have you tried recently?

I think the following are in the dictionary:
- appreciate, appreciated, appreciation
:worship: :worship: :worship:
Where would we be without geeks? :goodvibes

Oh, and sorry to be a wet blanket, but I would have serious issues if my sons middle school started allowing VMK. sorry! :teeth:

what I have learned form VMK.

Yes even old lame people who never played computer games can learn good eye and hand co-ordination. I thought getting to 5th level was an accomplishment. Last night I got my all time high score of 254,000. Now this has helped my learning difficulties that I have with left right co-ordination. Thought I would never be able to play this came but has helped my concentration as well.

2) When I built my ride for the Yeti Competition I built a box with the word Yeti on it. I also hit the teleporters. This took me around 20 or more hours to accomplish on line but even more off line. I would get lost on where I had blocks or where the teleporters were. So I built a small model out of graph paper. And also used the graph paper to see how I could form the letters. Now that was educational in problem solving, concept design, and pure perseverance.

3) I find the quest very educational and am find out things I did not know. Also to really look at a room and see the details. Which on these quests helps with visual memory kind of like concentration.

Also to build one is educational. If you do it right you should have a theme and a plan on paper. You have to decide how it will work, who your focus group is etc. And keep track of tasks. Making sure what you want some one to do is clear.

4) Dictionary dancing though it totally frustrates me is teaching how to substitute another word or words to mean the same thing.

5) Ghosts is about team work and also planning your moved head and making the needed changes. Some just go after the ghosts I try to plan mine like a chess game. Ok I will go here first and then there and try to judge where the ghost will go next.

6) To deal with the disappointments life brings. VMK is very good at teaching this lesson.

7) Music teaching/letting kids create there own song and tweak it.

8) However I do think it would be more educational for younger children. For teenagers who grew up with video games it is a big game :)

7) For kids with reading difficulties on quest that are not times t will help them to practice their reading with a reward on one tasked accomplished. I hated reading as a kid because of learning problems. I had problems remembering what I read still struggle with this but have learned how to read much better.

I think this encourages kids t try a figure out what they are reading. Though even now I am not sure what someone wants some times. LOL

So I would say VMK can be educational to a point but I am sure there are much better ones out there.

One thing I have to admit is Vmk is messing with my spelling..LOL I found myself writing On for One, Tree for Three and so on :rotfl2: and instead of saying I love something, its now I heart that..ROFL!! I have yet to say LOL when I find something funny so thats good! :rotfl: When that happens I know its time to give vmk a break...Tehe!

JeanJoe said:
Umm, then why not just say it? Have you tried recently?

I think the following are in the dictionary:
- appreciate, appreciated, appreciation

Thank you Be - I did not know that. I learn something new everyday.

With the dictionary that we put up with we pretty much butcher the lanquage. I would say a few people here have mentioned a few redeeming qualities that could be considered educational, I would however doubt it will be unblocked and don’t think it is really a good idea. It is for the most part broke down into several simple elements – Chatting, messaging, playing Games, collecting and trading. Lets not forget most importantly selling Disney. As fox has pointed out and I have said before, it is in fact a giant marketing tool. Anyway your education is far to important, VMK would be a huge distraction an does not really have a place in most traditional school setting is my feeling.

Adventuredaz said:
With the dictionary that we put up with we pretty much butcher the lanquage. I would say a few people here have mentioned a few redeeming qualities that could be considered educational, I would however doubt it will be unblocked and don’t think it is really a good idea. It is for the most part broke down into several simple elements – Chatting, messaging, playing Games, collecting and trading. Lets not forget most importantly selling Disney. As fox has pointed out and I have said before, it is in fact a giant marketing tool. Anyway your education is far to important, VMK would be a huge distraction an does not really have a place in most traditional school setting is my feeling.
Well said, Adventure! I agree! :teacher:

adventuredaz said:
VMK would be a huge distraction an does not really have a place in most traditional school setting is my feeling.

Did I forget to mention that I too agree that it should stay blocked? Yes, it is way too much of a distraction to be open at school! :thumbsup2

Honestly, I think VMK makes a great "keyboarding skills" game. I homeschool two of my boys (the 2 that play VMK) and I do not have to give them a keyboarding program. They have both become EXCELLENT typers just from playing this game. Okay, so that's how I rationalize it during the school day! LOL!

threeboysmom said:
They have both become EXCELLENT typers just from playing this game

OMG! I soooo agree with this! My Monkey (MickeysMusic) has become quite the typist in just a short time! This has helped her and I both greatly when typing her school reports :). It's so amazing!! :thumbsup2

Young One, as much as I love VMK, and enjoy playing it, I could never, ever, condone my middle schooler being able to play it while at school. School is for learning, first and foremost, and although we could all rationalize some kind of benefit from it, the reality is just that, reality. You young ones spend far too much time away from real life, with TV, DVDs, iPods, myspace, and the host of other ways for you to avoid learning how to interact with other people and the world around you. Get outside, play in the fresh air, learn to throw a frisbee, cook a meal for your family, just BE! Online chatting and the virtual world are fine in small doses for the younger generation, but most of your time should be spent in the here and now.

My good friend, who is a :teacher: was actually successful in getting her IT department to allow VMK. She got many of her 5th grade students involved as an alternative to myspace. She even gave away gold doors as prizes in her classroom. In fact, she has even used VMK as a demostration for a lesson. I sent her a link to this thread and hopefully she can shed some light on the educational reasoning she was able to use. Some ones that come to my mind are budgeting (earning credits and saving credits), logical thinking (Air Lock Escape, etc.), problem solving (quests), and creative planning (building your own rooms and games). :confused3

LOL, I am a middle school teacher :rotfl2:

I actually wanted to use it with some select students as a reward.

tolkien7 said:
I am an English teacher, and although I encourage my students to play (and enjoy meeting up with them in VMK) it isn't an educational game. It is a game for home and I think your teachers will probably agree that home is where it should be played.

The positive side of the restricted dictionary is I have learned to say things using different words. I'm not talking about dictionary dancing, I mean rewriting the sentence.

The quests are something I would stress as educational. Designing a simple quest and then implementing it could be a nice project for a student. Working with a partner would make it even better.

Perhaps someone who entered a ride in the Everest competition could offer some information about why that experience was educational. My understanding is schools are having students work in groups quite often. Creating a multiple room ride with a storyline seems like a rather complex project. The process VMK used was similar to the typical business model where there was a project leader who was responsible for submitting their rough design to VMK for approval.

I think the creative aspects of VMK can be very educational - designing rooms, creating games, creating rides and such. I don't think it would be easy to convince someone that fireworks and the other mini-games are very educational. They do help with hand/eye coordination but so do a ton of other games that are already considered to be educational. One interesting aspect of the mini-games is the way we have done a lot of cooperative playing in ghosts and pirates to help others complete tasks for quests or advance in the game. That might qualify as a good educational experience. Sometimes you have to lose a round in order to get enough ghosts for a quest!

Another idea that could be interesting would be to play the game a bit and then have students design a new land for VMK. Not necessarily a replica of an existing VMK park, I don't see why a Sea World land couldn't be created or a school land or anything else. That would be a very nice team project and could be quite complex if you consider what would need to be done beyond the layout of the land. What type of music and sound should be playing in the background? What type of costumes, furniture and other items should be created to go with the theme of the land? How much should these items cost? What sort of mini-game might fit into the land? How should credits and/or prizes be awarded and how many? In the end, if the designed land fits with VMK, the students could figure out how to submit their ideas to VMK for consideration for future development of the game.

So, while VMK itself may not be especially educational, I believe it is possible to use VMK in educational lessons such as projects.

qruthie (the 'q' is silent and ruthie just used the last of her alloted brain cells for the day)

Well i tryed to play it in the computer lab at my disctrict but it does not work, well were alike i guess :badpc:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter