Is Victoria & Alberts really worth it?

granball

Mouseketeer
What do you folks think? That's a lot of money to us, but do you think it's really worth it? My husband is the kind of guy who would be happy with a good hot dog and fries, and though I like that too, I would love to try something very special. He is willing for us to do this, but I want to make sure it's really as special as the price indicates.

On our last trip we went to California grill as it was so highly talked about on postings, but we both really disliked the food. We love many disney restaurants, including O'hana's, Boma and I believe that Earl of Sandwich has the best sandwich I've ever tasted. But California Grill was kind of yucky and not worth the money to us. With V&A I guess we would expect to pay about $300, so I would really appreciate any input from those who have eaten there.

Thanks!
Angie

What did you not like about CG? Was the food too frou-frou? If so, then you probably would not care for V&A's. I haven't dined at V&A's, but have been to other prix fixe with wine pairings restaurants. In general, they have been incredible! To have the proper pairing of wine and food, and the food prepared just so is heaven. Yes, it's painful to the wallet, but it's not an everyday occurence.

From your description, I think you guys might be happier at a place like Le Cellier or Yachtsman's Steakhouse or even Concourse steakhouse.

It is not just the food, it is the whole experience. I think it is definitely worth the money. The only bad thing is you will then compare everyplace else you eat to V&A and they will always come up short.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I just thought the food at CG was nothing to write home about. I found the flavors unpleasant or boring and the presentation, etc were just nothing great. I do like frou-frou, and I love a good presentation. I just wondered if the food and experience at Victoria and Alberts was really that good and worth that much money.

Speaking of wine pairings, I actually happen to be unable to drink wine because of health issues. Bummer. we would really be going for the food and experience.

Thanks for input!

I donno. I could'nt bare to spend that much on food. I rather go to the GF and get a day at the spa!

The question is similar to "Is an HDTV really worth it?" You can get something else that "serves the purpose" which is much cheaper, but there are advantages to buying the better product, and for many people it is worth it.

Make it you're last meal though, because you will be spoiled. The only down side for us is that when we go to DW, we like to be completely cassual. Having to pack exta clothes for only one meal is a headache for me.

granball said:
Cheshire Figment, can you tell me what made the experience so special for you?
In the dining room it is quiet and subdued. The tables are larger than standard restaurant tables. There is lots of room between the tables. The staff is very attentive. You are always addressed by name. You don't have to worry about using the proper utensils, and they bring the silverware for each course just prior to bring the food.

The portions are not oversized. The mix of items in a particular course may seem unusual but you find the tastes complement each other. The presentation of the food is pleasing to the eye. Water is, of course, bottled (and not Dasani).

I was never brought up as a wine drinker, so I skip the wine. Unlike some restaurants where the servers treat you with disdain if you don't order wine I find no prolems here.

And, of course, where else can you hear the Mickey Mouse March played on a harp?

How do you even decide if a restaurant is "worth it" in the first place? If all one cares about is eating a meal, then V&A (as good as the food may be) is definitely not worth it and a meal that satisifies one's basic nutritional requirements can be had for a fraction of the cost. If, however, one is looking for a truly special dining experience, than V&A could very well be worth it, depending upon one's willingness yo pay the cost. Only you can decide if that is the case.

I think V&A is definitely worth the expense. My DH and I went last year and it was some of the best food we've ever eaten. I highly recommend the grand marnier souffle for dessert. The service was outstanding. The harpist who normally plays was not working that night so instead we had a classical guitarist who was wonderful. We bought it ( a V&A meal) as a birthday present for my sister-in-law and her husband when they were in WDW a few months later.

It may not be worth it for you. In my experience if you start off thinking a restaurant may be too expensive or just more than you care for then you will probably walk away dissapointed. Remember that more expensive certainly does not mean better. Its just a different experience. I would not trade a single Dole whip for any fancy schmancy meal. We are going to V&A this time and to be honest we are lucky enough to have been to a few establishments that make V&A look like a bargain. Some were good, Some were great. I think you would be much happier going to two prime restaurants for two dinners like Shulas and Jiko. You could dine two nights for the same price and be very satisfied knowing that thoose restaurants represent a good value and a fun experience. Best of luck which ever way you choose to go. :)

I think it's definitely worth the expense, but everyone needs to decide if it's worth it to them. It's like what bicker said about the HDTV. We've eaten at more expensive places that weren't as good. I also don't drink wine and thought the experience was worth it. I like to eat at both casual and fancy places.

The food, service and presentation were excellent. I thought the atmosphere was intimate. I liked the harp player.

It is a lovely experience, and a lot of fun to boot! We all really enjoyed oohing and ahhing over each other's choices, and the change of pace from the parks was very welcome. We had great conversation, and actually had a chance to enjoy being with eachother.

The food is very, very special. The service is perfection. I would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I think will!

Yes yes! A thousand times YES! Best food ever, and the staff bend over backwards to make every meal and experience. A trip to the World would not be complete without a meal at V & A's.

It is an amazing experience. I am not much of a foodie, and I was a little bit concerned after I ordered, because it seemed like a lot of the food was too gormet to be something that I would enjoy (my second favorite meal during this trip was a hot dog at ESPN Club). I didn't need to worry. I had never had truely gormet food before, and I have eaten at a ton of nicer restaurants, but this goes above and beyond. The presentation is artful and unique. The feeling of being pampered is amazing, and the food tastes excellent and fresh.

Now the money... I have to admit that the price put me off, and is preventing me from going back on my next trip (sad). I was glad that I did it once though. I have to admit that sometimes when I think about what I could have bought with the 400$ we spent there I get sick. (a coffee table for years or a meal?). Ultimatly though, the money was spent on the experience, and it was truely special. If I had to do it over again I would without a second thought. I even consider taking a few side jobs to pay for it on our next trip... We'll have to see. In a word, go. You'll enjoy it, just make sure you view it as an experience, and make sure you are there with someone you really love.

Wow - thanks all for your posts. They were so helpful! Schoen, so well put. I definitely plan to try V&A. I wish great trips to you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter