Is two days at DL enough?

hmhs

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of going to DL for spring break with our son who is 6. We've been to Disney World 3 times and love it....usually spend a week there and don't want to leave.

My question is how long should we plan for DL? I've heard its about the size of the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. Would 2 days be enough?

Like I said we are big Disney lovers, but there is sooo much to do at DW and when I look at the DL website it doesn't seem like we could fill up a week like we do in FL

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated. We would also like to go to Lego Land and maybe another theme park if we can fit it in (based on how long we stay at DL). Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!

We are thinking of going to DL for spring break with our son who is 6. We've been to Disney World 3 times and love it....usually spend a week there and don't want to leave.

My question is how long should we plan for DL? I've heard its about the size of the Magic Kingdom at Disney World. Would 2 days be enough?

Like I said we are big Disney lovers, but there is sooo much to do at DW and when I look at the DL website it doesn't seem like we could fill up a week like we do in FL

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated. We would also like to go to Lego Land and maybe another theme park if we can fit it in (based on how long we stay at DL). Any recommendations?

Thanks!!!!
Do not be fooled by DLR's size. The four parks at WDW have only 10% more rides in total than DLR's two parks. And DLR is adding several more right now that will close that small gap further.

Also, DLR has four major shows that really rock and in many people's opinion, including mine, are better than the shows at WDW. It takes time to see those. That would be World of Color, Fantasmic (similar to DHS but better in all ways except for the lack of stadium seating), Remember Dreams Come True fireworks/laser/special effects show, and the Aladdin stage show.

Since you know WDW - two days at DLR would be like four at WDW. Are four days at WDW "enough"? Well, if by enough you mean that after you are done you feel like you experienced most of the resort and did not miss a whole lot, no four is not enough at WDW. Can someone have fun with four days at WDW? Sure.

Bottom line answer to your question is that at the very minimum one needs three days at DLR to feel like they had a solid visit - and that is a stretch. With three major night time shows listed above that will take a huge part of each evening. By 2012 then four days will be the minimum (after CarsLand opens at DCA).

This link is a popular around here and might help further - it has been read by something like 40,000 people - "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

We went to Disneyland in June 2010 for 6 days and still have not seen everything there is to see. We are going back later this year to visit for another 6 days and do all of the things we did not get to do and repeat our favorites :banana:.

If we went for just two days I would feel like it was just a quick visit to hold us over. We have gone for 5 days before and still didn't get to everything. I always think of 3 as the bare minimum. If your whole point is to visit DLR, you certainly don't want to limit it to two days or you will miss alot. If you go during a crowded time, it will take even longer to see everything you want. We like to go for 4 or 5 days and usually tack on a half day to that the day we arrive.

The best thing you can do no matter how long you stay is arrive before opening each day. Morning is the best time to get on a lot of rides.

our fist visit we spent 10 day in SoCal, did 5 days at disney then others parks and touring.

The second time we did 2 days with freinds before our Mexician Cruise (2010) and we did a TON of things unfortunately not everything.

for me 2 days is not enought is you have not seen everythign however if you have gone to WDW several times most of the rides are the same (from what i recal)

cheers
:goofy:

hmmm, I'm just starting my research on this and had no idea that DL had so much!

We are from GA so will be flying in.... sounds like we could stay in a DL Hotel and maybe not have to rent a car. We usually drive to WDW and just use their transportation... is that possible for DL as well or would you recommend renting a car?

The only other place we really wanted to go was Lego Land bc DS loves legos so much, but Disney is our #1 priority (& I hear they are opening a Lego Land in FL this fall so we could just go there).

Thanks again for the advice.... its so over whelming to try to plan trips when you don't know anything!!! :)

If you are planning on going to other parks besides DL and CA, I would rent a car. If you are just going to the Disney parks and stay within walking distance (whether at a Disney owned hotel or good neighbor hotel) you don't need a car. We have gone several times, flew in, took a taxi to the hotel ($45) and just walked to the parks - there is so much to do/see/eat there no need to drive anywhere else! then just take a taxi back to the airport :)

and I agree with the others 3 days minimum!

No need to rent a car if you stay on-site or at one of the nearby hotels on Harbor. There are many hotels within walking distance.

We did 3 6 day trips last year. None included getting everything done. The only one that came close was September in the extreme OFF season. Spring break will be pretty busy so I'd say at least 4 days to get a solid feel for the parks.

hmmm, I'm just starting my research on this and had no idea that DL had so much!

We are from GA so will be flying in.... sounds like we could stay in a DL Hotel and maybe not have to rent a car. We usually drive to WDW and just use their transportation... is that possible for DL as well or would you recommend renting a car?
It is a long thread I posted previously, but if you take the time to read this:

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

then it will answer this question and a whole bunch more you did not know you should be asking. :goodvibes

From the introduction section of the guide...

One key difference is the location of parks, hotels and Downtown Disney at DLR. They are all located close together. While this is contrary to WDW’s expansive layout, it offers some attractive benefits. Foremost is not having to depend on transportation to move you around the resort or between parks. Just stay at a close-by hotel and use your feet. At DLR you can literally stay across the street from the parks or, in the case of the Grand Californian Hotel, connected to one of the parks.

If you do not want a car for your entire trip, you can take a taxi, the DL express bus, limo, etc., and then rent a car for the day from the rental car place in Downtown Disney. We went for 5 days two years ago, did not rent a car, hit the parks commando style every day, and still didnt get to do everything we wanted to do. We did take one afternoon after naps to swim at the GCH, which may be something to consider. Having a small amount of down time between park time is key (in my opinion).

Anyway, we saw a lot, but not everything :)

Like said you can see and do alot in 3 days but not do everything in 3 days. I'd say our last trip over Christmas would have crowd levels like spring break. We did 5 days and my brother who met us there did 3 days.

I think 3 days is the minimum I would go and 5 days straight is the park is the max.

Shows take a big chunk of your time. Another show not mentioned is the Jedi Training Academy which is great especially if your son gets picked to fight Darth Vader.

Another thing we like about an odd number of days is that we do DL the first day and the DCA the next then back to DL. With the kids we found it easier in that DCA opened later thus allow the kids to sleep in after a late night at DL.

I've been on several solo trips at less crowded times of the year, and I tend to think that three days is just about right for Disneyland. Then again, I'm also taking advantage of things like single rider lines and late operating hours for that, so YMMV.

My triplets are begging for 9 nights and 10 days for their birthday (I guess, 3 days each!) We will probably make a 6 night 7 day trip knowing we will not see and do everything we want in April. I would suggest if you are going to Legoland, to do it in the beginning of the trip, instead of the end of the trip.
There is a Lego store in Downtown Disney, and maybe you could take your son in there for a bit to play, and purchase some Legos. if you do not decide to rent a car and drive to Legoland.
The big thing with Disneyland and California Adventure, is you walk back and forth between the parks when you feel like it.
For me, Disneyland isn't to rush through, but to stroll and take in all the beauty. The minute details everywhere is amazing, and knowing Walt Disney walked, rode and ate in many of the places is overwhelming when you think about it.
Knotts Berry Farm is approx. 7 miles from Disneyland. It is an interesting place to see. I like Disneyland the best, though.

I agree. We did 4 days last Spring and didn't even make it to California Adventure - we were having way too much fun in Disneyland. This time we are going for 5 days for the 2 parks. And I might change it to 6 yet.

We were in DW in October so now have done both - and I honestly prefer DL to DW.

I have toured WD MK and Disneyland, and with MK I was surprised that we could do the park in 1 day and still ride a few things 2x's. I can understand a feeling of "did that", and the group I was with didn't consider going back during the trip. That is not the case in DL though, and really 1 day is barely enough. If you have kids, 3 days for DCA and DL is barely enough, but 3 days will do and you are okay with missing about 40% of the offerings. To add relaxation to your vacation I would add a day and take it a little easier. :) Have a blast!

We have no option, we can only do 2-days as we are only is SoCal for a total of 8 and plan to drive north....

Guess we'll need to do some serious prioritizing of attraction must-sees!

( On the "plus" side, maybe wit California Adventure under so much construction, we'll have less to "miss" )

we did 5 days last time (with a 1 year old and 4 year old) and it wasn't nearly enough time. this time we are doing 6 days and that's only because I can't figure out how to get a longer ticket! I think that 7 or 8 might be perfect for us; we take breaks in the afternoon and aren't the best at getting out early in the morning, though this time we'll be trying much harder to get there before opening each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter