is TP crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendoffigment

DIS Veteran
just checked touring plans crowd calendar for next week. basically all days are a 1 (sept 5-9) and sept 10 a 2 i find it hard to believe during these days that WDW will be a 1 or 2. do they know something i will be happy to see them right on the money but i thought days of 1, 2, 3 are over

I just had a student check out of school early today so that he could head to Disney. Maybe they follow TP as well and decided to jump on the opportunity.

Keep in mind that all crowd calendars are relative. So, a 1 now probably isn't quite like a 1 10 years ago, but it's still better than a 10 now. Granted, I haven't watched very closely, but I expect they would have to adjust their formula slightly as crowd in general increase.
Also, the above, some kids are starting school next week, almost all the rest will have already started school. We went that week a few years back (because I don't have a problem pulling elementary aged children out of school for vacation) and the crowds WERE very low. It was also crazy hot and humid, so there's that.

To me, those numbers are all relative. It should be a 1 in the sense it's the days immediately following Labor Day, so all schools are finally back in pretty much, and it's early enough that the first fall breaks haven't started and early enough in the year that many parents are not ready to pull kids out of school for a Disney vacation yet. So, low crowds. Now does a 1 in 2018 = a 1 from 2009? probably not. But by 2018 standards, it will be low crowds. We were there beginning the Saturday of Labor Day weekend through that following week last year, and crowds were low once you got to Tuesday. Will be there again this year (heading down tomorrow after work) and I expect similar: a busy weekend followed by relatively low crowd days once we get to Tuesday.

Last edited:
I was there last year at the same time, and I'm going again next week. There were very few school-aged children running around in the parks. If there were kids, they were tiny and in strollers. It was a lot of adults (like us). Wait times were indeed quite low. However, we also had a hurricane on its way last year at that same week. Don't know if that's skewing their numbers from previous years.

It is all relative. If Disney is staffing the parks for less people, that does not equate to shorter wait times etc. Would you rather tour with more people and Disney fully staffing the attractions or have less people and Disney cutting back on staffing and only operating rides at half capacity? I know what I'd prefer :-)

This is just a guess... We went last year 2nd - 9th. The crowds were predicted to be very low. I can't remember exactly but under 4s. Sat/Sun were moderate crowds. Mon/Tues was moderate to low crowds. I would say low crowds is a 3 but not a ghost town and that is what I imagine when I see a 1 predicted. However, come Wednesday (middle of our trip), Hurricane Irma was making an impact of people leaving early or canceling. Wednesday am at Epcot was really really light crowds. I have a picture of my husband by the Epcot ball in the middle of the day with absolutely no one around. That night at HS we rode TSM 4xs with basically no wait, HM walk on and RR was a very short wait. Thursday night was the party and it was decently crowded at MK, but I don't know how to judge it against other parties. Friday(Sat. is when Disney closed early for Irma), at AK was amazing. It really seemed like hardly anyone was there. I say all this to wonder if TP bases their predictions on actual crowd numbers of the year before. If so, do they not take into account if a hurricane was coming in to clear out the crowds. But, hurricane or no hurricane I would do this week over again and LOVE it!

We had several days show as 3 for our 8/17-8/24 trip (when choosing a park, not a 3 overall). It didn't seem overly crowded but it wasn't like we had the place to ourselves. Disney manages the lack of crowd by cutting staff. Backlot Express had one checkout open at lunchtime, similar to Pinnochio Haus and many other QS that only had 1-2 lines open. Rides ran at less capacity. BOG had not one reservation open for lunch, line down the bridge to order, and yet more than half the tables were empty (obviously staff had been reduced). It wasn't awful and we got to do plenty, but I won't let the numbers fool me either.

Well it’s typically the first week back to school for most kids.

For a lot of kids, but I wouldn't say most. My family in Ohio and Florida have been back in school for 2-3 weeks now.

But either way, the school year is fresh for most kids so its likely too soon for many parents to pull them out this early on in the year. Plus, hurricane season.

It is all relative. If Disney is staffing the parks for less people, that does not equate to shorter wait times etc. Would you rather tour with more people and Disney fully staffing the attractions or have less people and Disney cutting back on staffing and only operating rides at half capacity? I know what I'd prefer :-)
Have you actually been during a "slow" time? The wait times are typically significantly shorter AND there are less people milling about everywhere. If they do reduce staff and run the rides at lower capacity, it isn't particularly noticeable.
Granted, I only go every 3 years or so, but there's a stark difference between Christmas week and the week after Labor Day.
New Year's week = literally people EVERYWHERE all day and late into the night.
Labor Day = most attractions having less than 20 minute waits and almost no lines at the bathrooms. The hours are shorter, but you don't necessarily have to wait in line at the bathroom.

I've been during both time periods, and while I'm not particularly keen on going back during either, Labor Day I would happily do again without my husband (due to his heat intolerance). New Year's week I would only go if either a child of mine was performing (meaning someone else chose the week) OR someone else was paying for the entire trip.

Honestly, I'm not even particularly excited about going during Food & Wine again, because the crowds at Epcot in the evenings are obnoxious.

Have you actually been during a "slow" time? The wait times are typically significantly shorter AND there are less people milling about everywhere. If they do reduce staff and run the rides at lower capacity, it isn't particularly noticeable.
Granted, I only go every 3 years or so, but there's a stark difference between Christmas week and the week after Labor Day.
New Year's week = literally people EVERYWHERE all day and late into the night.
Labor Day = most attractions having less than 20 minute waits and almost no lines at the bathrooms. The hours are shorter, but you don't necessarily have to wait in line at the bathroom.

I've been during both time periods, and while I'm not particularly keen on going back during either, Labor Day I would happily do again without my husband (due to his heat intolerance). New Year's week I would only go if either a child of mine was performing (meaning someone else chose the week) OR someone else was paying for the entire trip.

Honestly, I'm not even particularly excited about going during Food & Wine again, because the crowds at Epcot in the evenings are obnoxious.

In all honesty, picking the busiest time of the year (Christmas/New Years) ANY other time is going to be less busy (except Easter when it hits during March Spring Breaks). I understand your point, but the comparisons are not very representative of someone going in May vs September, as an example.

I agree with those saying the indexes are all relative. Even lower numbers now do not indicate that it's not busy, just less busy.

I just had a student check out of school early today so that he could head to Disney. Maybe they follow TP as well and decided to jump on the opportunity.

God help the state of education in this country. SMH.

On Long Island all the kids go back to school next week then we already have off 9/10 and 9/11 for Rosh Hashanah. I know a lot of families that are going to Disney for the long weekend.

I'll be happy to report back since we will be checking in this time next week. Sept 6 to 12. I've been waiting for the dreaded TP email that notifies that park hours or crowd levels are changing for your time but so far....nada. Anyway, weather is predicated high 80's...hubby thinks he is going to die, but hey we are from Texas so anything below 90 can't be THAT bad...at least thats what i keep telling myself. i have no clue what a crowd level 1 looks like.

just checked touring plans crowd calendar for next week. basically all days are a 1 (sept 5-9) and sept 10 a 2 i find it hard to believe during these days that WDW will be a 1 or 2. do they know something i will be happy to see them right on the money but i thought days of 1, 2, 3 are over
Last September there were 1's, 2's and 3's when we were there. Same for several other September trips. I don't find it hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter