Is Touringplans.com worth it?

peterbo

Earning My Ears
In the past I have used Touringplans.com to determine which days to spend in each park, which they provide for free, about 2 weeks in advance. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on it. I know it is a fairly nominal cost, but I was wondering if people thought it was worth the full subscription. What do you like or not like about it?

If it was me, I would buy the book. When you buy The Unofficial Guide you can use the website for free. The book is excellent, by-the-way. One of the best Disney investments I've made. :)

i could be wrong but i believe that if you buy the book the full crowd calendar is for free. the rest of the site is not. but as i said i may be wrong

the book is excellent as PP said. the website does give you a lot more plans than the book.

though i like tourguidemikes least crowded parks better. but TGM is more expensice than touringplans. and TGM expires 60 after your trip while TP is a years subscription. and TP has many many more touring plans

i think it is worth it to buy the book and then you get the website for free. you can also check your local library to see if they have the book which has all the same information as the website.

100% worth it!

We've used the touring plans for our trips and have never waited in a line longer than 20 minutes. And that was for Maelstrom on 4th of July!

The best $8.95 that I spend all year.

I consider myself something of a Disney expert, but I got touring plans for our trip last year. We were only giong for 2 days off property and it was the first time w/ our kids. The touring plans were totally worth it. We did MK and DS with minimal lines, I dont remember waiting more than 10 minutes for anything except meeting Ariel and TSM and we used FP for that.

I think it is worth every penny. I use it all the time when I am planning a trip. The crowd calendar is updated all the time and it gives you all kinds of touring plans you won't find in the book.

I borrow the book from the library, then get access to the website.

I really don't care about the whole buy the book / library thing but if you have it from the library, don't you only have the access to the website until you return the book?

I thought the way it worked (from a few years ago when I had the book and got on the website) was that it asked you a different question about the book every time you accessed the website, so if you didn't actually have the book all the time, you couldn't access the website all the time either. Or maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

I buy a new UG every year just because I like the book itself as a reference. I really don't find their website useful at all, but that's just me.

I just bought the Pocket-Sized Guide, I don't see where it says you can use the website for free. What am I missing? It's title is The Pocket-Sized Unofficial Guide Mini Mickey

It's called The Unofficial Guide to Walt DisneyWorld 200_ by Bob Sehlinger, I think.

It's huge - like 3 inches thick - not pocket sized!

I never heard of the one you mentioned, maybe that's another book they've come out with.

I have only 2 days in the parks so I'm splitting AK and MK one day and Epcot and MGM/Hollywood Studios on the other day. Touringplans.com doesn't seem to be helpful to half day park hoppers. Or am I missing something?

Also, we have ADRs for our free dining plan so it seems the guides don't work since our food time gets in the way. Again, am I missing something?

It's totally worth it! We bought the book before our first trip. I also used the best days calendar. Never had to wait in line. My husband said it was the perfect vacation.

The offer is that if you BUY the book, you get a free subscription to the website. It is dishonest to borrow the book and sign up.

1. I've used the Unofficial Guide/touringplans.com combo for my last two trips. they are worth every penny. I suggest buying the book AND using the website because the guide gives a lot of helpful suggestions on preparing for your trip. Those aren't necessarily on the website. Website is best for (a) crowd calendar and (b) customized touring plans. We didn't slavishly adhere to the plans but used them as a general guide and whizzed through the rides. Only when we deviated too much (Look we're standing right next to BTMRR, why don't we go ahead and ride, the line can't be that long...) did we get in trouble.

2. For the PP that didn't think the plans worked because of their ADR's, the website has a place where you can create your own plan. Study some of the others and figure out the patterns and then create your own for your own timing and needs. Also, they do have a lot of "half day" plans. Check under the miscellaneous section for each park.

3. "Borrowing" the book and getting the website for free is a matter for each person's own conscious. Personally, I would not like it if someone took advantage of the system to obtain goods/services from me that I would normally have been compensated for. :rolleyes1 The freeloader dilemma impacts us all and winds up costing those of us that legitimately pay for the service more in the long run. It's $9.00 for crying out loud. How much are you spending on your vacation?

I've done two trips with both the book and websites and won't do a trip without them! I tell everyone I know about the book and those who have used it have loved it. They're wonderful! Not just for the plans themselves, but for descriptions of the rides, restaurant and hotel reviews and info, tips, etc. I love reading the book!

I had a hard time figuring out how to do the customized touring plans, but you can use it do half day plans. Other people have also used RideMaxx but I haven't tried that.

I jokingly call the book the disney bible because its HUGE. Both the site and book are a great help and worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter