Is Tony's that bad??

This is not Italian food. If you know real Italian food or if you live in the Northeast, I could not imagine that you would enjoy it. ;)

:rotfl: I am from the NE, but have been in the SE for a long time now and have never found good italian food here! So, hopefully that will work in my favor at Tonys!! Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll know when I smell the place if I will like it! And if I don't think I will, I'll get steak or a salad!

The meal we had in September this year was fine. My only gripe was that they gave us our starters and our mains together and when i asked them to take back the mains until we had finished or at least started our first course the cm looked at me as if id asked him something horrible. He said if he did that we should expect a long wait between courses as our ticket would show in the serving area as completed. Stupid really. I gave up. My son had the spag and meatballs and ate the lot and i had prawn and asparagus pasta. I asked them not to put the asparagus on as im not keen but it came with it anyway. I chose not to send it back and actually really enjoyed the whole plateful. The puddings were really nice too. My son had the chocolate bombe thingy and i had the icecream - three types on one dish. Best part of the meal.

I have only eaten there once. And that has been probably a year or so ago.
MY food was not bad. Nothing to brag about. But I was expecting it to be pretty bad after all I had read here.
The other three I was with all gave their food a thumbs down. DH said that is the only place he never wants to eat again.
I considered it a lazy kitchen.
You know your Italian meal will be lack luster when the bread, butter and dipping sauce come out straight from a freezer and frig. Cold spaghetti sauce to dip cold Italian bread in? :sad2: I even mentioned it to our server saying this would be much better at least warmed up. Just basically a shrug and that's the way we serve it.

We ate there about three years ago and it was (after Spoodles) the worst meal of our trip. Service was good, food was sub par. This year it is DD12 pick so we have no choice - trying it on our first night. I'm going in with no expectations so I'm sure it will be fine. We did buy some great mickey pizza plates in the store that we didn't see elsewhere so to us it wasn't a wasted visit!

We ate there less than two weeks ago & thought it was good. It was'nt the best italian I ever ate but it was good & I would go back.

1) Tony's is not bad, just strongly average.
2) For your viewing, unless window or patio table, you don't have a view.
3) Try for an earlier ADR.
4) People with 1:45-2:15 ADR's might well ask for window/patio seats ahead of you.

First rule of thumb about these boards:

no matter what the topic, you will find completely divergent opinions! there is no one restaurant, resort, etc. that is completely 100% loved.

That said:
We gave Tony's another try in August, after having taken a couple of years off from it. We were delighted with our lunch -- everything was very fresh, CM was great, etc. We will eat there again!

Please realize that ALL WDW restaurants are trying to please the middle of the road crowd. No ultra authentic cuisine of ANY kind is available; even at Epcot you are getting Americanized, homogenized versions of a country's cuisine.

If you judge Tony's against the most fabulous Italian place you've ever been to, you will be disappointed. If you judge it based on being theme park food, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.:flower3:

Well put! :thumbsup2

This is not Italian food. If you know real Italian food or if you live in the Northeast, I could not imagine that you would enjoy it. ;)

I am Italian and I live in the northeast. Tony's is ok. If Italian food to you means spaghetti and meatballs, then this restaurant is fine. But it is not authentic Italian. The food is good, not great but it is not chef boyardee either.

When I went. I went with a group of people who had chosen this restaurant. Based on the menu itself, I would not have chosen it but that is just my taste. I was pleased with what I did have, quality and quantity was good. I'm just not crazy about the choices they have.

We ate there for the first time this past June. We knew from reading all the reviews that we would either *love it* or *NOT love it*. Sadly we are in the *NOT love it*...It was the one and only miss of our entire vacation. I had the shrimp scampi and it had no flavor except the inch of oil everything was swimming in. DH had the spaghetti and meatballs and couldn't get through more than a few bites (he eats anything)...the meatballs had a terrible texture and flavor and the red sauce was ick. Kids ate pasta with sauce on the side...it was ok. DD7 has the kids salad with italian dressing...it was literally shredded salad drowing in terrible dressing.
Never again. :sad2:

I would mostly agree with this poster. I am Italian and I have eaten at Tony's. Don't go in here looking for Polpettine di tonno e patate or Panissa. If you are expecting authentic Italian foods and wines, I think you'll end up disappointed. This is Americanized Italian food....spaghetti with meatballs, spinach dip, ceasar salad, lasagna, etc. It's prepared well, but not great. You can find some similar dishes prepared better at an Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill.

Nonetheless, I had read the reviews...we were expecting horrible and we both felt like we got decent food. What we did love was the atmosphere. The atmosphere was kind of cozy, and the Lady and the Tramp statue was adorable. The statue alone made me feel like we were in a romantic place and made me want to cuddle up to my DH and share a spaghetti noodle. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter