Is Tonga Toast as amazing as it sounds?!

The tonga toast is huge so we get ours at Captain Cooks because it is much cheaper $5.19 and we order a side of bacon which is a few bucks verses Kona $12.99. DH and I split the tonga toast. YUM.

Cgattis, it's called a compote because it's fruit cooked in syrup. But yes, it definitely seems more like a smoothie if it's not done properly :)

Every compote I've ever made (which, granted, is like TWO...) was more like a jam. This seems almost frothy. Does anyone have the recipe? I've done homemade Tonga Toast before when the between-trip blues hit LOL but it would be awesome to do the topping too!

cgattis said:
Every compote I've ever made (which, granted, is like TWO...) was more like a jam. This seems almost frothy. Does anyone have the recipe? I've done homemade Tonga Toast before when the between-trip blues hit LOL but it would be awesome to do the topping too!

It's not really a compote. It's basically strawberries (raw) blended with simple syrup and then strained. I make this all the time as a dessert sauce for cheesecake, pound cake, ice cream, etc. It tastes the same as the sauce at Kona.

It's not really a compote. It's basically strawberries (raw) blended with simple syrup and then strained. I make this all the time as a dessert sauce for cheesecake, pound cake, ice cream, etc. It tastes the same as the sauce at Kona.

Awesome--thanks!!! I'll definitely try this with my next batch of toast and with some pound cake come spring! I would never have guessed that's all it is--I'd have tried to add milk for sure. Thanks again!!!

I thought it was amazing. However, I guess it depends on the batch. If it's cold or greasy, then I could understand. Mine was the perfect temperature, not greasy, not too much sugar as some pics show. Pure heaven.

I had to try the Tonga Toast after reading rave reviews. We got a serving and I was disappointed. It was okay----nothing special.

I enjoyed the Tonga Toast. I ate the entire thing, smothered with strawberry compote. The tiny, shriveled piece of bacon that came with it was disappointing thought.

No, it is not amazing. It is too sweet and too greasy. My own opinion only. Wont be eating it again.

If you are a big French toast fan in the traditional sense, then no, Tonga Toast might not be amazing. As a French toast purist I am not a fan of Tonga toast. It's ok, but it isn't great. Very much NOT like French toast. Don't go into the meal expecting it to be so.

On the other hand, the Kona normal French toast is pretty darn good. :)

I was at Kona a few weeks ago, and my group had some individual entrees & split the Tonga Toast and an order of pancakes with the macadamia/pineapple butter with the table.

I wanted to stick a straw into the pitcher of strawberry sauce & drink it down. The Tonga Toast? Well, it was ok... Personally, I liked the pancakes a lot better. But the winner, hands down, was the Samoan (poached eggs & hollandaise on pulled pork). Yummy, yummy, yummy! =)

mom2of2 said:
Strawberry compote has strawberries, sour cream and a little sugar in it.

Sour cream? I've never seen that in compote.

A true compote is simply fresh fruit, sugar, and perhaps a little water and lemon juice, cooked to a very thick, almost jelly consistency. There is no dairy in a compote. It's a jam, without the pectin. It's also supposed to have the pieces of fruit in it.

What they serve at Kona is NOT a compote, although they call it that.

Sour cream? I've never seen that in compote.

A true compote is simply fresh fruit, sugar, and perhaps a little water and lemon juice, cooked to a very thick, almost jelly consistency. There is no dairy in a compote. It's a jam, without the pectin. It's also supposed to have the pieces of fruit in it.

What they serve at Kona is NOT a compote, although they call it that.

Aha!! I would've sworn there was milk! Never would've guessed sour cream!! Yeah, no clue why they call it compote, but like PP, if it came in a bigger pitcher I'd be tempted to stick a straw in it.

I'll save the whole "jam vs. preserves" controversy for another thread ;)

Lol, I have seen many people with the straw or a spoon or drinking from the spout...it is that good!!

The sour cream helps to take some of the sweetness away from the Tonga. I recommend putting the compote on the side and dipping the toast in it. Syrup is total sweet overkill imo

I thought it was amazing, and worth every penny! Then again, I had them do mine without rolling it in the sugar - that just sounded too sweet for my taste. But the strawberry compote was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. I had extra left at the end, and just sat there eating it up with a spoon.

And the Kona press pot was the best coffee I had on the whole trip.

30uv0io.jpg

206j4gl.jpg

When I get the Tonga Toast I ask for it grilled. The cinnamon sugar does not stick as well, but I prefer that to the greasiness of the fried version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter