Is this tacky?

My girls wore nightgowns and slippers to CRT on a MVMCP and they got ohs and ahs and even other waitresses stopping by to see them.

I saw no problem with it. :confused3 and no one else seemed to either.

Iphone%20344.jpg

OP here. I'm surprised at the number of comments--I'm enjoying reading them immensely. A bit of info--we are currently here in Orlando (offsite this time around) and tomorrow night is the big dinner. Believe me, if I'd had room, I definitely would have packed the real dresses, but by the time I posted this I was already packed, suitcases in the car, no room left in any bags.

I'm leaning towards letting them wear them--they are comfy and not at all see through. They'll have on tanks and shorts underneath and as soon as the meal is done we can take off the "gowns." We'll simply ask them before we leave and see what they want to do. I'll let you all know what we decide....maybe even post pics. Thanks all, for your input!

Sounds great! Have a ton of fun! It will be a magical dinner, regardless of what you choose (and I still vote yes, wear them if they want to).

My girls wore nightgowns and slippers to CRT on a MVMCP and they got ohs and ahs and even other waitresses stopping by to see them.

Iphone%20344.jpg

Those are very pretty outfits, and if you had not said they were nightgowns, I would have assumed they were Christmas dresses. I can see why your girls received oohs and aahs!

I ordered them especially for this night with their names embroidered on them... it was a big deal and they attended the party in them.

I would be VERY surprised if anyone said anything to you!

I am glad OP is going to do what she is comfortable with. ;)

That nightgown is actually super cute! Honestly, I think if your girls are ok with it, and you are ok with it, who cares what other people think. I always figure we're on vacation, we don't know any of these people and we won't ever see them again!

I know for the MNSSHP last year, my 3 y/o wore a regular Disney Store Woody Costume, but I took a pair of Disney Pajamas that looked like a Buzz Costume, and if he would have gotten hot or uncomfortable in the costume, I was going to change him into the pjs later in the night.

348646176_o.jpg

I figure as long as the kids are comfortable and happy, who cares!

Iphone%20344.jpg

Your girls look cute. It is obvious they are wearing nightgowns, but cute all the same. :)

OP here. I'm surprised at the number of comments--I'm enjoying reading them immensely. A bit of info--we are currently here in Orlando (offsite this time around) and tomorrow night is the big dinner. Believe me, if I'd had room, I definitely would have packed the real dresses, but by the time I posted this I was already packed, suitcases in the car, no room left in any bags.

I'm leaning towards letting them wear them--they are comfy and not at all see through. They'll have on tanks and shorts underneath and as soon as the meal is done we can take off the "gowns." We'll simply ask them before we leave and see what they want to do. I'll let you all know what we decide....maybe even post pics. Thanks all, for your input!

Hope they have a blast! And I hope they wear their "dresses!" Honestly, Disney is one of those places were you get people of all backgrounds/walks of life. We've been to MANY character meals, and you get people who are dressed up in their nicest clothes and people who look like their in their "play clothes!" I really believe at Disney you see everything! So seeing a couple of adorable girls in Disney princess outfits probably wouldn't even catch my attention unless I was pointing out how cute they were to my son!! :)

Originally Posted by Ellajoan View Post

Can't wait to hear how it worked out. :)

I must say i do think it's funny that A LOT OF PEOPLE are saying my child wore one similar and NOBODY said anything. Do you really think someone WOULD say something to you? I doubt it..well there IS ALWAYS the exception out there.

Who cares if it's tacky?
Who cares what other people think?

If it makes your little girl feel like a princess then go for it!

I think anyone who objects probably hasn't seen the particular gowns you are talking about. They really look more like dresses than gowns (with a price tag to match)! Here's some links:
http://www.disneystore.com/girls-rosette-belle-nightgown-for-girls/p/1264723/15051/
http://www.disneystore.com/girls-flutter-disney-princess-nightgown-for-girls/p/1266843/15051/

Its fine the description says it has 3 layers of skirt for "twirl" heck if it came in adult it would make a great costume for MNSSHP...and FWIW I have worn what looks like a tank top to WDW but truthfully is a PJ top has an image of Mickey laying back on a cloud..if I saw your DDs I would tell them they look beautiful :thumbsup2

As a gay man, I can assure you that the dresses are very pretty, and in my opinion do not look like a nightgown. Go for it!
I'm 40, but I'd love if I could dress up all spiffy in nice prince regalia. (a Disney prince, not the purple guy :laughing:)

OP here. I'm surprised at the number of comments--I'm enjoying reading them immensely.

A bit of info--we are currently here in Orlando (offsite this time around) and tomorrow night is the big dinner. Believe me, if I'd had room, I definitely would have packed the real dresses, but by the time I posted this I was already packed, suitcases in the car, no room left in any bags.

I hope you are having a wonderful trip and that your girls enjoy the dinner, whatever they choose to wear!

Ok, these type of comments I never understood, you passed judgement too.

Your judgement just happens to be, "it's fine", others might not agree. But both are judgements. :confused3

I disagree. Passing judgment would be if I saw a kid wearing something odd and decided, based on the clothes, that it was good or bad, or that the kid was good or bad, or that the parents were good or bad. But not thinking anything of it, because it doesn't mean anything, isn't passing judgment. I mean, by that reasoning, I'm passing judgment on pretty much everything I see, every single day! ("There's my co-worker walking to her desk -- nothing to think about there. There's my notepad -- it's fine sitting where it is. There's a kid wearing a dress that I think might be a nightgown -- no reason to care about that...")

Are children REALLY wearing 'gowns' to bed nowadays???? :confused3

They look way to 'nice' to wear just to bed and not be seen..

I'm sorry, that's not a nightgown. That's a costume.

DEFINITELY put them in it. They'll look beautiful! :cloud9:

OMG the nights my girls don't have a nightgown clean to wear to bed and they have to wear *gasp* pajamas are nights to remember around here.

The fancier they make the night gowns the better.

OMG the nights my girls don't have a nightgown clean to wear to bed and they have to wear *gasp* pajamas are nights to remember around here.

The fancier they make the night gowns the better.

:rotfl2: How cute!

When I was little, I was lucky to get a matching top with my pajama pants or shorts...now they're getting all dolled up for bed, only to find that in the morning they drooled all over their nice gowns. :rotfl:

Those are adorable and they will look great! How is it any more crazy to have a little one in an elaboratly chiffoned nightgown than an elaboratly chiffoned costume? I mean, do people get crazy about letting their daughters wear a costume to dinner when it isn't Halloween at WDW? Then why would it be any more tacky to wear an elaborate nightgown to dinner at WDW?:confused3
And honestly, I have several sundresses that were purchased in the sleepwear section of stores. You would never know they were nightgowns - they have shelf bras just like sundresses, are usually made of even softer cotton than sundresses, are opaque like sundresses, adjustable, comfortable straps and come in super cute stripes and prints. I've also worn coverups that are opaque as dresses and so have my friends. I have never had anyone say anything other than compliment them but I also could care less if they did say anything. I mean, what is the difference besides what the tag might say when I bought it? Same material, same coverage, same style - it's just clothes!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter