• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this soooo selfish??

I don't have children yet, but I think I can still give an opinion here. ;) DH and I have been to DL once together and WDW three times, and we enjoy it SO much as a couple's trip. We like to tour the parks the same way, eat a lot of the same things, and ride the same rides (I honestly can't believe I married someone who likes Disney parks as much as I do :love: ). Thinking about visiting in the future, with children in tow, seems like it won't be as much fun. Don't get me wrong, I think it'll be a good time, but we'll definitely have to change our touring style (no more commando) and cut back on the thrill rides in exchange for a leisurely pace and lots of time in Fantasyland and Toontown. ;)

In short, no, I don't think you're being selfish. Every couple, with kids or without, deserves time for themselves. You need to enjoy each other as husband and wife, not just daddy and mommy. Go, you won't regret it. And your kids will get over it. It's not the end of the world.

We have been to DL with small kids many times. Finally in 2006, they were pre-teens and able to do things on their own and go on all the rides that we wanted to. It was truly a wonderful experience that I will never forget! No more having someone stay with whoever didn't want to go on something or wasn't tall enough!

Now we have a new baby and we get to do that all over again which I look forward to also in a strange way. However, I will never forget that trip in 06 when my boys were old enough to go off on their own together and ride every single ride without hesitation. :)

Your time will come- it flies by so enjoy every moment of it! :):):)

Before we had our son DH and I went twice to DL, just the two of us. One was a bit of a honeymoon. We had a blast. However now that we have a Disney loving son, we'd never go alone. I'd feel terribly guilty! My son loves DL almost as much as I do! So it won't ever happen! To each their own though!

In October we had Grandma on the trip with us. So one afternoon they stayed back at the hotel (tired out!) while DH and I went and had a wonderful lunch at Club 33. Did a few rides, some shopping. A stroll down main street. It was nice having Grandma there! :)

NOT selfish . . . My DH and I were lucky to go on several WDW vacations before kids. Good times! But now we've been 2x to WDW and once to DL with the kids and I'm pretty sure we would really miss them. We lucked out on our last trip to WDW-my inlaws spent a day and night with us on their way home from their own vacation and after a day at MGM, they stayed with the kids and DH and I went to Pleasure Island at night (part of DTD @ WDW). We had a ball ! Would you consider one of the "Kids Clubs" for a little alone time?

My Disney dream is really selfish - no kids or husband! I would love to spend a day or two in the MK really taking my time and enjoying the details, the little things. And taking lots of pictures-especially the perfect castle pic. (I've got a great camera and taken some classes, but always feel rushed with the kids-so I just point and shoot. No time for creativity.) Of course, in my dream I win the overnight stay in Cinderella's castle and the guilt over my daughter missing out wakes me up !!!

I don't think that it's selfish. I know that I probably couldn't do it. But, MIL is coming along with us in February and we plan on having some couple time while the kids stay in the room with MIL and watch movies, etc. And when we go stay at the GC next fall we will probably take advantage of the childcare option at least one night.

I wouldn't feel guilty at all - I think all parents need some "alone" time every year - it shouldn't be the kids' decision on where you go. I have to admit, I brought my kids to WDW until they were like 17 years old, but every trip in the past 5 years have been "adults" only. I usually go now with just my DH and we have the best trips! It's great to go where you want, when you want and not having to be sure everyone else is having a good time. I've taken a couple trips travelling with my Dtwin and DBIL, but I still find that somewhat stressful as I'm the unofficial tour guide, whether I want the job or not.

I'm thinking about doing just that for my b-day! And, I have to second (or third!) the Ladies Only trip! Come join us! We have some fun stuff planned that we couldn't or wouldn't do with children.
I've actually been dreaming for awhile now of going down to WDW for the Food and Wine Festival with just my DH. Haven't done it yet, but it's on my to do list!
I wouldn't feel guilty or selfish unless it was a once in a life time, or once every 5 year kind of trip and you didn't take your kids.
Maybe a nice "compromise" for you guys would be to go for a couple of days on your own and then have the kids join you (like with grandparents or something).

We went last 4th of July for 9 days without the kids. We stayed at the anaheim marriott suites in garden grove and loved every minute. We sleep in late, took great afternoon breaks, and went to bed earlier. When we are with the kids its go, go, go... We needed the R&R from 2 teens. Sure they were disappointed because we were going on a trip without them but they knew we would have to be going again and also they would get gifts. I have to admitt seemed kinda weird standing in line to see Mulan without my daughter. I made my husband go with me... Bless his disney heart... He loves disney too.

I think it's a great thing to do if you can.
Having said that, your kids are at ages where they are likely to be pretty upset at the thought of missing out on a trip to Disneyland.
I would book a 3 or 4 day cruise out of LA and tag a day or two at DL on to that trip, since you're already there. Then you have an "excuse" to make it adult only.

Sure the kids would complain, but you know what? Adults are allowed to have some time to themselves as well. Its not like you cant ever go with your children again some day. Its nice to go at your own pace, go to DTD into a place where you can have some drinks and have total adult conversation, and when in the park get to do what you want to do and not what your kids want to do all the time. I dont see anything wrong with that idea.

I know I'm way late on this one but I don't think it's selfish whatsoever.

My gf and I are planning a trip to the park soon without my 12 yr old.

He's totally ok with it & didn't give me a problem when I told him he'd be staying with his grandma for the weekend we have planned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter