Is this really correct?

Mickey's old friend

Mouseketeer
:wave2: I called WDW reservations in regard to the DDP for October. I was told the only way to get the $37 plan was to book your room at rack rate and then if the plan was available during our dates we could book it. He said there are a limited number of reservations available. He also stated that if we book with an outside source, we could call after we book to see if we could add the plan on- if it were available and then the price could be up to $85 dollars a day, depending how much we payed for the room. I have not read this anywhere so I am questioning this. Please help! I want the DDP and want to book from an outside source, because of the savings I would receive. :confused3

Linda

Yep, sorry to say the only way to get the DDP is to book your room at rack rate, get your tickets through Disney and then get the DDP. No stacking of the good deals I'm afraid.

Not entirely true. You can book through AAA, with a AAA discount and get the package.

Deb

You can also rent points from a DVC member and have them book the DDP for you at the time they make your reservations.

I just cancelled my rack rate room with DDP for Dec and booked the exact same package through AAA for $400 less. And AAA throws in their own "perks" like free parking and a picture frame.
Good Luck

SILLYANDI said:
I just cancelled my rack rate room with DDP for Dec and booked the exact same package through AAA for $400 less. And AAA throws in their own "perks" like free parking and a picture frame.
Good Luck

We did likewise (AAA booking) and the savings is very nice. What is the picture frame you mention? Didn't get that. Just curious...

I agree you should look into AAA. I joined just for the discount (plus it will be good to have since we are driving to WDW).

I haven't gotten all my paperwork yet, but I was told that I will have a choice of items (a box and frame maybe??) Will I be given a voucher and have to pick it up somewhere?

Everyone staying at a WDW resort gets free parking--that's not a perk from AAA. You will be asked at check-in if you have a car and issued a pass that is good for self parking (not valet) at any resort or park for the length of your stay.

Or maybe I misunderstood and they are giving you airport parking?

kcashner said:
Everyone staying at a WDW resort gets free parking--that's not a perk from AAA. You will be asked at check-in if you have a car and issued a pass that is good for self parking (not valet) at any resort or park for the length of your stay.

I understand you get a hang tag that enables you to park closer at the resorts.

kcashner said:

You are correct.
However, the parking "perk" you get from AAA is a pass to park in the AAA diamond parking area (I think that's what it's called). Supposedly these lots are closer/more convenient at most parks.

source, we could call after we book to see if we could add the plan on- if it were available and then the price could be up to $85 dollars a day

This part doesn't make sense, the dining plan is the same cost no matter what. It doesn't go up or down depending on what you pay for your room.
AAA is the only place you can get a package with dining and get a room discount as well.

Anyone who books a AAA WDW package are usually given a AAA Diamond parking pass. AAA Diamond parking is directly behind the handicapped parking.
Although I have been to the parks a few times when the parking lot CMs won't honor that, as those spaces were what I assumed to be filled. But that is not the norm.
The AAA Diamond parking is not just for AAA members. It is for those who bought a package through AAA.
Although last year we had friends who just bought WDW and USO park tickets who were given a diamond parking pass. Our friends did not even know what the parking pass was until I explained it. :teeth: They bought their tickets during AAA/Disney Month last year.

Luv2Roam said:
The AAA Diamond parking is not just for AAA members. It is for those who bought a package through AAA.
Although last year we had friends who just bought WDW and USO park

You have to be an AAA member to buy an AAA package. You can still get the dining plan and the room discount through AAA if they have rooms available with the dicounted rate, but you can't get the room discount and the free dining that is being offered. You'd have to pay rack rate for the room to get the free dining. I think that's where some of the confusion lies.

but to clarify, during the Free Dining promotion that runs 8/13 thru 9/30, you have to pay rack rate for your room and buy at least a 1 day ticket for all members of your party to qualify for the free dining plan.

However, if you are going at another time (outside the free dining promotion dates) or don't want the dining plan for free ( :confused3 ) you can get a package through AAA that will include a room discount, tickets of some sort (you have options as to length, hoppers, plus options) and the dining plan at $38 per adult (less for 9 & under) per day. As stated earlier, the price does not change based on with whom you book.

Call back, you spoke to a very confused CM!!!

Correct -- to buy from AAA, guests need to be a AAA member.
I just mentioned what I did because it is not unusual to read on the Dis that guests think because they are AAA members, they can park in the AAA Diamond area. The diamond area parkings passes are generally distributed from AAA for those who buy a AAA Disney package.

I would like to thank everyone for your input. I am not looking for free dinning as I am going in October. I will still be booking at my discount rate. I will call back then and clarify what I was told about adding on the dinning for a higher charge and if available at a reasonable rate I will take it. Rack rate is more than double, so my discount will still be a better deal. I was looking forward to the DDP. :sad1:

Linda

Mickey's old friend said:
Rack rate is more than double, so my discount will still be a better deal.

OK, you've peaked my curiousity...enquiring minds want to know....what discount are you getting that enables you to save 50% off rack rate :confused3 ?

Throughout the year my daughter can get great discounts on airline employee's travel websites. We can get some great deals internationally and sometimes great deals will pop up for Disney.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter