Is This Real Life?!? - My First Trip in over 16 Years...PTR - FINAL UPDATE 10/15!!

Chapter 11 - A Few of My Favorite Things...

Although Ken has never been to WDW nor me in over 16 years, all of the research and planning we (meaning me) have been doing in preparation has really got us excited for some things in particular.

I thought, with 26 days left to go :goodvibes that I should elaborate on what we are most looking forward too and our favorites, as of now.

(But keep in mind that are answers can really only reflect the offerings which WDW has that overlap with DLR and California Adventure since that's virtually all we know...)

Sarah

Favorite Movie: Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King
Favorite Character: Belle and Merryweather
Favorite Villain: Captain Hook
Favorite Song: "Circle of Life", "Be Our Guest", or "When You Wish Upon a Star..."
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
WDW Park Most Looking Forward To: Animal Kingdom
Ride Most Looking Forward to Trying: Expedition Everest and Rockin' Roller Coaster
Ride Most Scared to Try: Mission Space - Orange!

Ken

Favorite Movie: Bambi
Favorite Character: The Beast or Phillipe (Belle's horse)
Favorite Villain: Horace and Jasper ("they like to drink!")
Favorite Song: "I'll Make a Man Outa' You" from Mulan
Favorite Ride: Splah Mountain
WDW Park Most Looking Forward To: Epcot
Ride Most Looking Forward to Trying: Star Tours
Ride Most Scared to Try: Tower of Terror (even though he's already done it!)

And another random photo...this past weekend my friend Brittany and I participated in Race for the Cure. It's a fund-raising race/walk/marathon to raise money for breast cancer research, treatment and prevention...people get all dressed up and this year we got pink wigs! :rotfl:

DSC00442.jpg

(Me on the left, Brittany on the right)

Coming up next, packing already?

Click here to continue!

Chapter 12 - Packing Already? Plus some changes...

With 22 days left until our trip, I've begun the initial gathering of travel supplies!

Right now I've only purchased a few trial-sized items for our carryon baggage, and Ken and I are researching and shopping around for new luggage! We've decided on purchasing a combined, large check-in bag and a new carryon for me. We each have nice totes/messenger bags that we already plan to carry as a "personal item" on the plane. Yes...we have decided that we are going to pay $25 each way :sad2: for one checked bag...so I will pack it full of shared clothing.

You'll also notice that I have our Disney shirts for Day 1 in the parks and I recently purchased University of Oregon (GO DUCKS!) clothing for our travel day...so everyone in every airport and our arrival day will know we represent Oregon! :thumbsup2

DSC00460.jpg

Additionally, I've begun adapting a very extensive packing list to Ken and my needs.

I've also made some recent changes!!!!

First off, I added an ADR for Friday, 10/21. Ken and I decided it was NOT worth $65/person to do Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party...so I'm planning a surprise...we will be eating dinner at Kona Cafe (Polynesian Resort) and then relaxing and romanticising on the Poly beach while watching the Hallowishes fireworks! That's at least getting part of the experience in, right?!?

Secondly, I've ben watching the crowd calendars on Touring Plans go up and up for Saturday, 10/22. Initially, Ken and I would spend that morning after check-out before our 6:00pm flight in one of the parks; HOWEVER, it's not supposed to be so crowded that I feared it would leave a bad taste in our mouths of Disney on our last day.

My problem was that I had ADR's on that Saturday for Via Napoli and on our arrival day at Paradiso 37...I figured if I was able to switch them that I would make the itinerary change...AND I COULD!!!

So now our arrival day will be spent at Epcot in the evening! Yippie!!! :woohoo: I'm really stopked to spend our first night strolling Epcot (ADR at Via Napoli at 7:45pm!) and then on our departure day we can get some last minute shopping in for all those souveniers we've had our eyes on all week (ADR at Paradiso 37 now at 12:00 noon).

And finally, a random picture of Ken and I enjoying a picnic last night at our local park. We wanted to get one last summer's evening out of the house and enjoy a little romantic dinner...

DSC00454.jpg

Next up, something "Magical" has arrived! Click here to continue!

So I started reading late. You're almost ready to go :cool1:! I am excited for you though! My husband and I have four kids, but we're going just the two of us for our 20th anniversary in a few years! I can't wait to read your TR when you get back and see all of your awesome pictures! I will warn you that I'm more of a lurker than a commenter, but I do hang around! ;) (Mainly, 'cause I can never think of anything witty to say or original and I feel dumb copying what everyone else has already said!)

Anywhoo, I see you got Ken to go with the Ducks shirt for your travel day. And I'm curious at CSR those beds look big. Are they still just doubles? I'm looking at probably staying at POR this next trip 'cause after 4 kids and 14 years of marriage I may have added a bit of weight to my original 125 lb. frame. (Oops. Just more to love right? :goodvibes) Hey if you get a chance can you post your touring plans for each day? If you've thought them out anyways. I love reading those!

And BTW, its a great PTR so far. I love all your chapters and pics.popcorn::

So I started reading late. You're almost ready to go :cool1:! I am excited for you though! My husband and I have four kids, but we're going just the two of us for our 20th anniversary in a few years! I can't wait to read your TR when you get back and see all of your awesome pictures! I will warn you that I'm more of a lurker than a commenter, but I do hang around! ;) (Mainly, 'cause I can never think of anything witty to say or original and I feel dumb copying what everyone else has already said!)

Anywhoo, I see you got Ken to go with the Ducks shirt for your travel day. And I'm curious at CSR those beds look big. Are they still just doubles? I'm looking at probably staying at POR this next trip 'cause after 4 kids and 14 years of marriage I may have added a bit of weight to my original 125 lb. frame. (Oops. Just more to love right? :goodvibes) Hey if you get a chance can you post your touring plans for each day? If you've thought them out anyways. I love reading those!

And BTW, its a great PTR so far. I love all your chapters and pics.popcorn::

Yay thank you for joining in!!!! The trip is coming up so soon and I'm definitely getting more and more excited each day, is that even possible at this point?!? :rotfl: I'm glad for your comments, no matter how small!

And yes, I did get Ken to go with the Oregon shirt! Ha ha...my little sister's friend works at our nearby store and I went up to her and said, "Amanda, I need the most minimalistic shirt here for Ken!" and she definitely pointed me in the right direction. Ken said he's ok with it because it doesn't say "ducks" on it...he feels he is representing the state as a whole by wearing it, not one particular school...it doesn't even have any green on it!!!

The beds at CSR are now all queen beds (or kings...) so there's lots of extra space for everyone! And the ones at POFQ were just updated as well into queens vs. doubles I believe.

I will be posting my detailed itinerary and some of my touring plans as we get a little closer (since I'm still changing things around...;) ) so keep coming back! And I CANNOT WAIT to do my TR when I come back, and yes...with TONS of pictures! Thanks for stopping by and the lovely comments!

Chapter 13 - Tickets to the Magic

WE GOT OUR MAGICAL EXPRESS TICKETS!!!

And wow, does that make the trip feel real or what?!? :woohoo:

Enclosed in the packet was a little booklet with our vouchers - one for each of us, each way to and from WDW - and the beautiful, yellow Magical Express luggage tags.

I noticed two things that must be in direct response to visitor confusions...

1) Directions in the booklet on how to navigate through the MCO airport. Very detailed...with arrows and lines and written words. Let's hope I STILL don't get lost like so many others! :rotfl:

2) Directions on the back of the luggage tags that illustrate and describe how, and where, to attach the strips onto your baggage. I'm pretty sure I can figure that one out too.....

DSC00348-1.jpg

DSC00354-1.jpg

DSC00356-1.jpg

Up next, October is right around the corner and that means TRIP MONTH!...

Click here to continue!

WooHoo! I loved getting the DME mailer. We're going to drive for our next trip so I'll miss that.

Chapter 14 - Two Weeks to Go!

So today is a special day...for several reasons. First off, I have two weeks until our trip! 14 days people! The weekend after next!

Also, the Epcot Food and Wine Festival started yesterday and pictures have been rolling in of the new delicious menu items...can you say, yum!

And finally, it's October 1st...and 40 years ago on this day in 1971 Walt Disney World opened.

Happy Birthday Disney World!!!

party:

Yes...that also means I can officially say, "I'm going to Disney World THIS MONTH!" Yippie!!!

Random picture of today is Ken and I on our way back from Newport, Oregon. We only live 1.5 hour from the beach, but stopping for a sunset picture is always nice...

DSC00540.jpg

Up next, single digits already?!? Click here to continue!

Chapter 15 - Single Digits and Online Check-In!

:dance3: Single digit dance! Yeah! Single digit dance! Yeah! :dance3:

9 days people!!!! It's so close I'm starting to freak out....have I done enough? Agh there is still so much to do; I need to purchase luggage, make my lime-green mickey head, print my packing list, print my travel documents and itineraries...I can't wait!

Although the weather forecast has not been looking grand for next week and beyond. :confused: Hopefully it only rains for a brief afternoon shower and doesn't ruin the entier day. See, in Oregon, when the forecast says rain...they mean the entire freakin' day....all gray and cloudy like an unpleasant blanket keeping you wet. Gross.

In other news, that's right...I did my online check-in! It was actually quite un-eventful and easy since most of my information was already online because I booked directly through Disney. AND I clicked the box for my room request option as "close to transportation" and it denied my selection, what's up with that?!? I'm really hoping for a room in the Casitas or section 8A or 9A in the Cabanas at Coronado Springs...please NOT the Ranchos guys! Nevertheless, it's still a great feeling to be checked in, one more thing that makes the trip feel real.

Also, I ordered my Halloween costume! I work as a daycare director and we are wearing our costumes on Halloween to work, so it was definitely important that it is appropriate for children...nothing sexy or scary. However, I still wanted it to be cute and something that looks expensive and I can do cute hair and makeup with. And of course since I'll be back from my trip (it's too sad to think about being back already :sad2: ) for only a week by the time Halloween rolls around I NEEDED to do something Disney related right???

Well.....

2870041404091.jpg

Ta-da! SNOW WHITE! The Disney Store was having a 40% off sale for adult costumes, awesome find! And it's cute, recognizable, and looks high quality. I can't wait!

I guess that about sums things up for now...next up my list of movie and music preparations I've been following with Ken... Click here to continue!

:banana:Woohoo!:banana::banana: Its time to go bananas!!!!! I can already taste the Mickey head ice cream bars! I hope it doesn't rain too much. Of course, one great thing about Disney is that there is a ton of stuf to do inside at nearly every park, Animal Kingdom maybe not as much. But ohhh what a great time you're going to have. And I love the Snow White costume. I think that is super cute and your kids are going to love it.:love: Have a great time!:wizard:

:banana:Woohoo!:banana::banana: Its time to go bananas!!!!! I can already taste the Mickey head ice cream bars! I hope it doesn't rain too much. Of course, one great thing about Disney is that there is a ton of stuf to do inside at nearly every park, Animal Kingdom maybe not as much. But ohhh what a great time you're going to have. And I love the Snow White costume. I think that is super cute and your kids are going to love it.:love: Have a great time!:wizard:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I feel like I'm going bananas for sure! I don't know how I'm going to get through next week without going crazy! :eek: I'm really excited to dress up as Snow White and I will for sure be posting a "real life update" to my trip report when I return!

Chapter 16 - Movies, Music and Accesories

With only 5 days until my departure, things are in sort of the "wrap up" stage. I've got my packing list ready, details mapped out, numbers re-checked...so now it's really just the waiting game and realization of last-minute stuff.

I've got all my toiletries ready, fresh bottles of deoderant and shampoo, moleskin ready to cut, Mickey bandaids and Disney shirts. And today...I made my LIME GREEN MICKEY HEAD to attach to my carry-on bag! (sorry it's laminated and extra reflective!)

DSC00551.jpg

And last night I went to my local TJ Maxx store after several weeks of research and purchased a check-in bag for Ken and I to share. We will each have our own, small carry-on's plus this new one to check! I think we can make it work to only pay the additional baggage fee for one person...sorry extra beautiful, yellow Magical Express tag!

DSC00546.jpg

Also yesterday, I went down the local outlet center and purcahsed my own Coach crossbody bag to take to the parks! I have some of my own Coach purses already, but they've all been gifts. I knew I wanted a travel bag that was crossbody (= hands free!) and yet fashionable. I got a really good deal on it. :goodvibes

DSC00547.jpg

Now....in preparation of this trip I have been "brushing up" on my Disney knowledge and trying little by little to convert my husband into a Disney appreciator. Pretty much each week we sat down together and watched a classic, animated movie. Last week, my goal was fulfilled when Ken put his hand on my knee while driving and said, "I've really liked watching Disney movies with you" and smiled big....I'll take it!!! Here is a list of the movies we have purchased and watched together since April:

(DVD's) 101 Dalmations, Aladin, , Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Fantasia, Finding Nemo, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Peter Pan, The Sword and the Stone, Toy Story (1, 2 and 3), (Blu-Rays) Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Dumbo, The Lion King, Pinocchio, The Princess and the Frog, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Tangled.

DVD's rented from Netlix: Pocahontas, Aristocats, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros, Robin Hood, Lady and the Tramp!!!!

Pheww!!!

I also have made a Disney music playlist of over 40 songs to listen to on the trip, with songs that include: I Just Can't Wait to be King, Part of Your World, When You Wish Upon a Star, Grim Grinning Ghosts, It's A Small World, I'll Make a Man Out of You, and Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride....it's glorious!!!!
That's it for now folks! Next up...wait, I leave tomorrow?!? Click here to continue!

Chapter 17 - Tomorrow, Tomorrow, We're Leaving Tomorrow...

(ok, sorry for the hokey song reference! ;) )

In 24 hours I will be at the airport waiting to board our plane to Orlando! I can't believe it's FINALLY here!!!! I'm almost finished with my packing (just taking a little break :goodvibes ) and I had to post the image that got me through my 10 hour work day today...

photo.jpg

I've got my luggage tags ready, my itinerary printed, my toiletries double bagged, my shirts neatly folded....I'm actually, physically ready to go!

With all the chaos and hub-ub, I wanted to post my final itinerary plans so you guys can follow along/have a general idea of what I'll be doing. Now, I did make a beautiful, color-coded spreadsheet on Excel; however, I cannot make that an image to post, so all you get is the abridged version in type:

Sunday 10/16: Flight arrives at 12:01pm, Magical Express to Coronado Springs Resort. Check in, have lunch, unpack, nap and head to Epcot by about 5:30pm. 7:45 ADR at Via Napoli and watching Illuminations after.

Monday 10/17: Full day at Magic Kindom (Evening EMH) with an afternoon break in between. 12:50 lunch ADR at The Crystal Palace.

Tuesday 10/18: Full day at Hollywood Studios (9:00am-7:00pm, now Fantasmic! shows :sad2: ). 12:10 lunch ADR at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. After park closing, head to mini-golf at Winter Summerland.

Wednesday 10/19: Full day at Animal Kingdom (9:00am-5:00pm) with 11:00 lunch ADR at Yak & Yeti. At park closing, headed to 5:15 dinner ADR at Animal Kindom Lodge for Boma!

Thursday 10/20: Full day at Epcot. Spending the afternoon sampling foods/drinks at the Food & Wine Festival. 6:00pm dinner ADR at Teppan Edo.

Friday 10/21: Magic Kindom again (8:00am-7:00pm with MNSSHP later, which we are NOT doing...). Late breakfast, 10:10am, ADR at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort (take monorail over...) then back to the park until closing. At 7:00 when park "closes" head to the Polynesian Resort via boat for 7:30pm dinner ADR at Kona Cafe. After dinner, get tropical cocktail and relax at the beach while watching Hallowishes fireworks across the lake.

Saturday 10/22: Booo!!! We're going home :guilty:. After a swim and checking out of Coronado Springs, we're headed to Downtown Disney for a 12:00 lunch ADR at Paradiso 37 and shopping in the afternoon. Head back to Coronado Springs for approximate 3:00pm pick-up time for Magical Express shuttle back to MCO for 6:00pm flight back to Portland. We land in Portland that night at 11:54pm. Wahhhhh!

So that's the dealio-yo! Tomorrow I'm Skyping my best friend in Scotland, getting my eyebrows waxed :rolleyes:,cleaning the house, meeting my mom for a manicure/pedicure appointment, cooking dinner, finishing touches/packing last minute things....at 9:30pm my parents are picking up Ken and I for our 11:40pm flight! Yippie!

One more post before I head out...coming soon... Click here to continue!

Yay! Today's the day! Hope your trip is fun and you have a great flight (I love night flights, they're so pretty)!

Chapter 18 - Off to Disney World!!!

Well this is it guys! I'm leaving my house for the Portland airport in ONE HOUR!!!

Today I was extremely busy getting ready...at 9:00am I Skyped with my friend in Scotland, 10:30am got my eyebrows waxed and tinted, 11:00-1:00 cleaned the house, 1:00-3:00 showered and got ready, had lunch, packed a little, 3:00-5:00 manicure/pedicure appointment with my mom, 5:00-6:00 picked up some groceries for dinner tonight, 6:00-7:30 cooked dinner and finished packing, 7:30-8:30 dinner with Ken, and now my final post before I switch into my travel outfit and head out!

Here is a picture of my pedicure! It's Mickey Mouse and a little firework inspired design...I'm so glad I asked for it!

photo2.jpg

Thanks guys for coming along for the ride! I will be sure to begin posting my trip report within a week of my return. Thank you for the laughs, the tips and hours and hours of photos! Love you!!!

Hi Sarah, Aunt Linda here. princess: I just had to join this blog to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading it.:surfweb: You've done a great job sharing the process and making it fun to read. I can't wait to read more. Love you!

Well, Sarah, I know you are HAVING A BLAST right now! Sorry I didn't make it back to wish you a good trip, but hopefully you'll see this when you get back. I hope its great and filled with pixie dust and that Ken is ready to come back soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter