Is this possible?

Aubsmama

Mouseketeer
We booked a vacation in September with the Free Dining and are staying at POP. We upgraded the dining from Quick Serve to the Basic Dining Plan. I'm having second thoughts about staying at POP and was wondering if it's possible to pay the difference and transfer to Port Orleans Riverside? Anyone have any suggestions?? :confused3

The way I understand it is that if POR has availability for the same promotion you have, you can switch. You need to call Disney and ask them what you can switch to, keeping your same fd promo.

If that was the promo that had the regular DDP for moderates (the new one is quick serve for the mods) than switching may not cost that much more since there won't be an upgrade.

Good luck, I can tell you POR is wonderful and to me worth the extra cost!

Let us know what they say.

Ha! We have the exact same reservation at the same resort, though a different date. I was thinking of switching to Port Orleans - French Quarter, they have queen size beds.

We honeymooned at Dixie Landing which is now POFQ.

I was kicking around the idea of trying to get the upgrade for free. :rolleyes1

I feel it would definitely be worth the extra cost just to get the bigger beds and a fridge.

We are suppose to go with my sister-in-law and her hubby so that kind of throws a wrench in things.

While I've never tried to upgrade resorts with the free dining promo, I have upgraded resorts using other promotions (after the promotion had ended). I told the castmember on the phone what I wanted to do and then threw in a laughing "Disney doesn't want to turn down more money from me do they?" After being put on hold a minute or two, the castmember came back and said that they would change my resort for me and there were no fees associated with the modification.

While I've never tried to upgrade resorts with the free dining promo, I have upgraded resorts using other promotions (after the promotion had ended). I told the castmember on the phone what I wanted to do and then threw in a laughing "Disney doesn't want to turn down more money from me do they?" After being put on hold a minute or two, the castmember came back and said that they would change my resort for me and there were no fees associated with the modification.

How funny!! I just got off the phone with Disney, they were able to upgrade the hotel since we had already upgraded the dining plan from quick serve to basic. They didn't upgrade without adding additional fees, but I'm ok with that. I think it will be worth it!! :banana:

How funny!! I just got off the phone with Disney, they were able to upgrade the hotel since we had already upgraded the dining plan from quick serve to basic. They didn't upgrade without adding additional fees, but I'm ok with that. I think it will be worth it!! :banana:

But I am betting the additional fees weren't that much over your Pop reservation since the regular DDP was included with mods for your particular promotion right? I assume it was just the room you were paying for not any sort of upgrade for the DDP.

In any case, POR is wonderful, I think you made a great choice!:thumbsup2

We are also booked at Pop in September with free dining that we upgraded.
Would you mind sharing how much?
You can pm me.

Thanks for sharing!

Yay for being able to change resorts. Boo to having to pay the fees. But, like you said, I'm sure it will be worth it.

We are also booked at Pop in September with free dining that we upgraded.
Would you mind sharing how much?
You can pm me.

Thanks for sharing!

We are staying for 8 days / 7 nights and the difference we paid to upgrade to Riverside was $365. I didn't think that was too bad! I'm so excited!!!

We are staying for 8 days / 7 nights and the difference we paid to upgrade to Riverside was $365. I didn't think that was too bad! I'm so excited!!!

So again, (I am just trying to understand this, I have a friend booked at ASMO who is thinking of upgrading to CBR and I am trying to give her some input) that $365 is for the difference in room price. Its not including any sort of change fee for changing since you are upgrading (as I understand it its only for downgrading after a certain point you are charged a fee) and its not towards upgrading the DDP because under your promo, the DDP was "free" for the moderate category resorts.

Thanks for clarifying for me!

I did the same thing, I was booked at POP w/kids stay and play free. Realized that the amenities of the mod (POFQ - using the 30% off room offer) were too good to pass up. I paid $300 more to upgrade for 8d/7n and I am not looking back:cool1:
  • Hot Tub
  • Fridge
  • Coffee Maker
  • small resort
  • boat to DTD
  • queen beds

Plus, I was booked for POFQ 2 years ago, got there and they upgraded us to SSR, so I am kind of hoping this happens again (not SSR though, did not particularly like it - but would like to go to different deluxe) - I would love a full kitchen again!

So again, (I am just trying to understand this, I have a friend booked at ASMO who is thinking of upgrading to CBR and I am trying to give her some input) that $365 is for the difference in room price. Its not including any sort of change fee for changing since you are upgrading (as I understand it its only for downgrading after a certain point you are charged a fee) and its not towards upgrading the DDP because under your promo, the DDP was "free" for the moderate category resorts.

Thanks for clarifying for me!

Yes, that's correct. I only had to pay the difference in the room rate since I already had upgraded the dining plan when we originally booked POP. :dance3:

Great! :thumbsup2

I was number crunching and that's about what ours would be as well ... tempting as heck.

Okay, I told my friend and she called and got hers changed too!

I think you made a great choice, with the upgrade charge for the DDP, that makes the mods a better deal than ever. Especially when you figure a frig is part of your rate at POR vs. Pop where you would have had to have paid $10 per night for one.

I hope you love POR as much as we do! With all the resorts we have stayed at, it and CSR are our two favorites. Enjoy!

Congratulations to everyone that is going to POR. You will definately fall in love with it!

It is tough sometimes to get discounts at POR, because it is the only affordable mod for a family of 5.

I am hoping with the opening of the new Art of Animation resort, which while it will be classified as a value resort, may open up other options for families that normally go mods at POR, will now be able to afford a suite at AoA.

Yippee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter