Is this normal

Maybe at your franchise, but at the one I worked with, they not only kept the appointment but did the work and received payment of $16k from me and me alone. The only thing my DH did was tell the guys "thanks" afterward. So it would appear that the Pella manager who decided I looked like I knew what I was talking about won in the end. The Anderson store (that said DH had to be there) lost the sale.

When a man makes the appointment, do you tell him no one will deal with him unless his wife is there? Honestly?Finally, contractors who do not like to give people bids unless they can pressure a sale at that moment need to find another line of work. Even on projects DH and I decide together (like some stonework we had done, it was our choice to handle it together), we told the rep, thanks for the bid and we will talk about it and make a decision. (In the end we chose them - not a waste of their time!) That's business.

Yuo. It is standard policy

I have to agree with most everyone that if you can't deal with me alone, you can't deal with us. We discuss major things but when it comes down to it, I make the major financial decisions--numbers mean nothing to DH. I've also learned that making on the spot decisions usually don't work out or end up costing way more than expected.

Another source to verify references is through a codes office or planning commision, whoever grants permits in your area. If you call them before you hire someone, they can give you tons of info. If you wait until you've hired someone, they have to remain unbiased for the inspections.

In college I was told that ALL salespeople should expect to get ten 'no's for every 'yes.' So if you don't like having your time 'wasted' you're in the wrong business.

Some asked if there was no way for OP to cut down her number of ten quotes. Maybe so, but why should she? :confused3 Because it's inconvenient for the sales person? Newsflash, sales people are there to be convenient for the customer. If you can't do that, you either won't be successful at your job for very long, or you're in the wrong business.

Yuo. It is standard policy

Then your company is losing potential sales.
We've had our entire house painted, stone walls built, fence built, and windows and doors replaced, and the contractors who treated each of us like intelligent adults are the ones who got the work.

We refuse to schedule time off for the convenience of salespeople who don't understand that giving bids and waiting for a call back is part of the job.

I worked for Pella for years. No 2 decisions makers, no appointment. That's the deal

All of who think this is so sexist and so unfair should trying working in an industry for a while where you drive an hour for an appointment and then spend 2 hours with someone only to be told, I'll have to talk with my spouse and we will make a decision. I guarantee that is what 90% of one person appointments end up as. You have wasted their time!!!!!

This post has really struck a nerve w/me!

And do you really think because BOTH decision makers are there that they are going to sign on the dotted line right then, uh no! You are probably one of many vendors they are seeing.

And really, you are in sales it is YOUR JOB to drive an hour to give me your pitch and giving me your pitch does not GUARANTEE you a sale!

It is sexist, when hubby #1 died, his name was still on the house, I had a reputable kitchen remodeling company tell me that both parties had to be present for an estimate, I told them that there was No Mr., do you believe they had the nerve to check the house deed and called me back to say he had to be there!!

I will never deal with a company that demands my husband has to be present!

I worked for Pella for years. No 2 decisions makers, no appointment. That's the deal

All of who think this is so sexist and so unfair should trying working in an industry for a while where you drive an hour for an appointment and then spend 2 hours with someone only to be told, I'll have to talk with my spouse and we will make a decision. I guarantee that is what 90% of one person appointments end up as. You have wasted their time!!!!!

Well, I don't have a spouse. But you're still not getting the decision while you're there. I will say "I will take everything into consideration and let you know of my decision within X days." If you think I'm going to sign while you're there, you're going to be disappointed. As will the customer.

(And think of who else requires both spouses -- time share presentations!)

This post has really struck a nerve w/me!

And do you really think because BOTH decision makers are there that they are going to sign on the dotted line right then, uh no! You are probably one of many vendors they are seeing.

And really, you are in sales it is YOUR JOB to drive an hour to give me your pitch and giving me your pitch does not GUARANTEE you a sale!

It is sexist, when hubby #1 died, his name was still on the house, I had a reputable kitchen remodeling company tell me that both parties had to be present for an estimate, I told them that there was No Mr., do you believe they had the nerve to check the house deed and called me back to say he had to be there!!

That's okay. They don't want to deal with you either :)

:rolleyes1
Snarky aren't you, and you must really love that sales job. But overall you are out of line as are most of your posts!

(And responses like this are the main reason that I do not post much on these boards)!

:rolleyes1
Snarky aren't you, and you must really love that sales job. But overall you are out of line as are most of your posts!

(And responses like this are the main reason that I do not post much on these boards)!

I haven't worked for them in years. But I understand how hard their job is when they go on a sales call that pays them nothing if they do not sell and they sit there for 2 1/2 hours explaining everything to someone who then says, "Thanks so much, I'll have to talk to my husband and get back to you"

I am not out of line because I disagree with you. And I am not being snarky as you have decided. They don't want to come out and see you. That's why they tell you UP FRONT that they want both of the decision makers in the family to be home :)

You are out of line because what you failed to READ is that he is deceased but they claimed he was not as his name was still on the deed, I find it completely out of line that a national company would go so far as to check deed. But oh well to each their own..moving on.

I haven't worked for them in years. But I understand how hard their job is when they go on a sales call that pays them nothing if they do not sell and they sit there for 2 1/2 hours explaining everything to someone who then says, "Thanks so much, I'll have to talk to my husband and get back to you"

I am not out of line because I disagree with you. And I am not being snarky as you have decided. They don't want to come out and see you. That's why they tell you UP FRONT that they want both of the decision makers in the family to be home :)

But marycaym's DH was dead. You'd maintain that their demand that he be present is reasonable?

I've never had a salesperson tell me that my DH had to be present for something like this and if any company did make that requirement, they would lose out on an opportunity to make a sale.

You are out of line because what you failed to READ is that he is deceased but they claimed he was not as his name was still on the deed, I find it completely out of line that a national company would go so far as to check deed. But oh well to each their own..moving on.

I am sorry for your loss. I am speaking to this issue as a whole, not your individual situation. I am sorry if I offended you.

Are you calling Basement System chain type places? I'd try to stay away from those. Get the name of a good contractor instead.

And when you're asking people to come out, and they say they need your dh there just say 'He's dead. Can you come at x time?'. That'll shut 'em up! :rotfl:

OMG woman that sound like something I would say lol. Did it to ATT when they where having the long distance wars in the 80s lol, but it was my dad, so sick of them calling..

I just want to thank you. We're replacing all of our doors and windows in the next month or so and Pella has now been crossed of the list. :thumbsup2

:upsidedow

the difference is Im not signing anything after a 2.5 hr sales pitch if my husband was there or not we would call you back..or as old people say sleep on it:upsidedow

for the life of me i dont understand why people sign thing without thinking over night about it..

I just want to thank you. We're replacing all of our doors and windows in the next month or so and Pella has now been crossed of the list. :thumbsup2

No don't do that yet - the Pella people in southern Maine were great and did not pull this type of crap that the previous poster/former Pella employee describes (Andersen Renewal people did though).

I think it must depend on the local franchise.

Wow... I am sure there are people who are not going to like what I have to say, but there are many posts that seem quite out of line from my perspective. My husband is a licensed contractor - a very small one at that. He specializes in interior work, and willingly bends over backwards to accomodate and be flexible for people. He meets with whoever chooses to be present, and would be skinned alive by me if he was ever sexist in any way. That being said, there are a few things I noted of importance in this series of posts....

1. The OP seems to be choosing to contact high-pressure "sales" type of places. I would HIGHLY recommend, as one other poster has, that you look for a "licensed contractor" rather than a sales office to do your work. Some sales offices contract others to do their work, while other offices have their own employees do the work. Those that have their own employees...you really cannot guarantee what kind of work they do, as they are likely making minimum wage and/or cash when they show up (honestly, trust me). And just because they say they have a warranty, well that doesn't mean it is going to be an easy task to get things fixed. If they contract out the work, you are essentially paying a "middle man" - the sales office. There are many ways to find licensed contractors (key is the license) in every area, and could be as simple as going to Lowes/Home Depot and asking for names of people who do that type of work. I still HIGHLY recommend you get at least 3 bids, and trust your gut feeling when talking with people. The licensed contractor doesn't work for a specific brand, and therefore could give you several bids with different brands of products if you so choose - and will be able to discuss the pros/cons of each.

2. And just remember that people in the construction trade are just that - people. They have families, they have financial concerns, they have needs and they are PEOPLE. The rudes contractors...well you I would agree with you. But just try to put yourself in their shoes - and try to understand why they would not want to make several trips to your house without getting paid a dime. They may get the job, but they also may not - for reasons other than the kind of work they do. There is a lot of time and money invested in putting together bids, and oftentimes I think people don't fully appreciate that piece of it. Again, this is just from my perspective as the wife of a contractor. :goodvibes

Anyway, that is just my two cents worth. To the OP - you obviously know exactly what you are doing, and appear to be able to understand many of the technical things discuss. Way to go! I am on the other side of that...my dear old hubby is the expert, therefore I choose not to pay much attention! :rolleyes1

In college I was told that ALL salespeople should expect to get ten 'no's for every 'yes.' So if you don't like having your time 'wasted' you're in the wrong business.

Some asked if there was no way for OP to cut down her number of ten quotes. Maybe so, but why should she? :confused3 Because it's inconvenient for the sales person? Newsflash, sales people are there to be convenient for the customer. If you can't do that, you either won't be successful at your job for very long, or you're in the wrong business.
Well, no, not because anything's inconvenient for the salesperson. Ten just seems a bit, um, I don't know - extreme? Most advice recommends narrowing down the search to three, maybe four firms - ask around for referrals, maybe check with the big-box home improvement stores, check sites like Angie's List...

Most general contractors are just that, and can do a variety of work. Narrow down your list to just a few. It's less confusing for the consumer - even the one with the sharpest mind and the best notes.

marycaym said:

If it was geographically convenient AND not upsetting, you should have had them meet you at the cemetery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter