• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this crazy ($ related)

miste76

I won't tell...you can't make me!
I'm going with my family to WDW in July for a 12 day trip. There are 5 of us going - 2 teenagers and 3 adults. We're staying at BWV for the trip and we all have AP's from last year that do not expire until the last day of our trip. We only have two meals that we will definatly be doing, the first is a princess breakfast for my sister and I and the other is a dinner or lunch in Japan (I refuse to attempt to spell the name) - everything else is planned about 15 minutes before we actually do it. The 3 adults all enjoy having a drink or two in Epcot, ESPN or the Poly - almost everyday that we're there.
My question is ... Is $2200 enough for food, drink, extra entertainment for all 5 of us, for 12 days? This breaks down to approx. $185 per day ($36 per day, per person.)
What is the average spent per person on food and drinks per day for your family?

Miste,
This is what we spent on our recent trip which was a short one but I did break it down into days so that may help.
We had 2 adults, 2 teens and one child. I alloted $9 per meal. Period. Breakfast of course was cheaper usually so we always had some leftover from the days budget. I figured in our snacks in it's own budget so I made sure we had enough and we did! We did NOT have any character meals nor did we dine in the more expensive places, just typical counter service meals. We were happy with our selections, had lots of snacks and came home with money!
I just figured what the typical meal cost, drinks, and snacks and added it up into an estimate. I over figured everything and It turned out great. You can get the menus and the prices over at allears I think.

Have fun!

My dh and I usually budget $35 - $40 each per day for food, so your calculations sounds right on target. I suggest eating breakfast in your room, having lunch as your sit-down meal and counter service for dinner. It's much cheaper that way. Also, think about sharing some meals or having appetizers instead of entrees. You shouldn't have to in order to come in at budget, but it'll probably make you stay way under budget.

::MickeyMo I guess it really depends on what you order. DBF and I are going for ten days and we allotted $1000. But we have restaurants such as Fulton's, Concourse, and many others planned. ::MinnieMo

miste76 said:
I'm going with my family to WDW in July for a 12 day trip. There are 5 of us going - 2 teenagers and 3 adults. We're staying at BWV for the trip and we all have AP's from last year that do not expire until the last day of our trip. We only have two meals that we will definatly be doing, the first is a princess breakfast for my sister and I and the other is a dinner or lunch in Japan (I refuse to attempt to spell the name) - everything else is planned about 15 minutes before we actually do it. The 3 adults all enjoy having a drink or two in Epcot, ESPN or the Poly - almost everyday that we're there.
My question is ... Is $2200 enough for food, drink, extra entertainment for all 5 of us, for 12 days? This breaks down to approx. $185 per day ($36 per day, per person.)
What is the average spent per person on food and drinks per day for your family?

I don't think so. If the adults each have 2 drinks a day, knock $10 per adult off your budget. That leaves you with $26 per day, per adult. Your typical counter service meal, with non alcoholic beverage, is about $10. So if you have EVERY lunch and dinner at counter service, that will leave you with $6 per day for breakfast and for snacks and waters and sodas.

So, yeah, you might squeak by if you eat all counter service meals, but is that really what you want to do for 12 days?

BostonRob said:
I don't think so. If the adults each have 2 drinks a day, knock $10 per adult off your budget. That leaves you with $26 per day, per adult. Your typical counter service meal, with non alcoholic beverage, is about $10. So if you have EVERY lunch and dinner at counter service, that will leave you with $6 per day for breakfast and for snacks and waters and sodas.

So, yeah, you might squeak by if you eat all counter service meals, but is that really what you want to do for 12 days?

::MickeyMo Knock off possibly more than $10 a day for drinks. The drinks at the Tune-In Lounge in MGM are $9.50. That's hefty! ::MinnieMo

Luv4Disney said:
::MickeyMo Knock off possibly more than $10 a day for drinks. The drinks at the Tune-In Lounge in MGM are $9.50. That's hefty! ::MinnieMo

Good point. I was trying to be conservative anyway. When somebody says a drink or two, they very often mean 3 or 4. It can happen easily too - you might have one in the afternnoon walking around Epcot or at the pool. Then you'll probably have one or two at dinner. Then, its probably as likely as not that you'll have at least one drink in the evening, especially if you're at Epcot or MGM.

Drinkers of the world (you know who you are), get out your WALLETS!

Looking at my Passporter from Previous years, My DH and spend about $80-$115 a day on food. We do a lot of sit-down for dinner though. Very few breakfast since we have a full kitchen at OKW, and always counter service for lunch. I think $36 per adult per day is do-able, but cutting it close.

Do you have the DDE card? That knocks off 20% for most sit-down meals, plus you might get some AP discounts on food as well.

I was asked a similar question by members of our big trip coming up. If it were my DH and I, yes, I think we would be at $100 a day. But with kids in the mix, and knowing they're would be no Victoria & Alberts on this trip, I felt comfortable saying $50 per day. Should allow for 1 nice sitdown, and counterservice a day. Hope I'm close! :flower:

We have 5 in our party - 2 adults & 3 teens (DD's) We budget at least $200/day & only one person in our party every orders an alcoholic drink (DH).

I would say you should budget more for your party.

I agree with the posted that recomended the DDE - it is good at LOTS of restaurants in and around the world. It is only $50 for AP holders and is good for up to 10 people in your party and especially nice is that its good on drinks as well. That 20% off goes a long ways if you are eating even one or two meals at nicer restaurants. Check the list of places it is good and see, but I am sure that the Japanese restaurant and most character meals are on the list - so right there you will save more than your $50 of cost for that many members in your party.

I really don't think it's enough either. We're leaving Saturday and I have budgeted $1,200 for my DD (9) and me, 8 days and 7 nights. That's not counting park passes or anything, just food & entertainment (with breakfast being eaten in the room). I think you'll need more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter