Is this bad?

lovin_disney

Earning My Ears
My father died last night. He was in his 80's and in considerable pain so I feel he is in a better place.

My son and I are scheduled to go to WDW next week. I have been going through a messy divorce and custody battle and most of these issues were recently resolved.

I still want to go but feel guilty. I am torn.

I am sure your father would want you to go. since you do know he is in a far better place and out of pain, He probably would be all for you going. Having had so many problems in your life recently you and your family probably need some time to un-wind.

Maybe while you are there you could so something to remember you father. I recently read on one of these threads where someone lost a member of their family and was going to WDW and was going to release a couple of ballons in memory of the loved one. Maybe you could do something like this in memory of your father.

I am sorry for your lost, but as you said he is in a far better place.

I am certain that your father would want you to go. Wouldn't you want the same for your child in the same circumstance. It sounds as though things have been really rough and that a trip away would do you good. I know that is just my opinion, but I hope it helps. I hope that you have a joyful and comforting trip.
Michelle

We took my Mom to Disney not long after my Dad passed away. It did us a lot of good to get away. With Disney, you can shut yourself off from your cares and just play and have fun. I'd say go... you need to relax. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss.:( I agree with the others, you should go. Going there could help lift your spirits and possibly forget your pain for awhile. I'm sure your Dad would want you too.

So sorry for your loss. Of course you should go, and please do not feel guilty. Life is for the living, and your father would tell you to go if he could. You need it, and your children need it too. You can honor and remember him no matter where you are.

How old is your son? If he is over 3 or 4 I would be sure to talk to him and explain that Grandpa dying is a very serious thing and you are sad and know he is probably sad too but tell him you have decided to go so you and your son can be together together, Grandpa would want you to go etc.

I potentially see your son feeling conflicted about being sad and confused about his grandfather dying and yet going to WDW. Also be prepared to have sudden grief hit you while at WDW. Carry kleenex! Know where quiet spots are. Don't be afraid to share your feelings with son.

Sorry for your loss. I hope all goes well for you!

I am so sorry for your loss as well. I also lost my father (tho he was young--50--and it was very unexpected) 3 years ago, I know exactly how you are feeling. Grieving is a long and complicated process. However, one thing I did learn from my father's death is that life is TOO SHORT and I don't want to waste a moment of it. I am never going to put the "good stuff" off until later, or a "better" time. I am never going to look back and wish I had done "this" or "that". I don't want to have any regrets. I'm so glad I didn't have any regrets with my father, and I don't want any with my children.

It sounds like you have had a difficult year, and you need this ray of happiness in your life right now. I'll bet your father would not want you to sacrifice that because of him...I know mine wouldn't have. You should go, and not feel guilty at all. You are doing this for yourself and your son, and you can do it in happy memory of your father.

Go and have a good time. Be prepared for sudden moments of intense sadness...but bring your tissues and share your feelings with your son. It should bring you both closer together.

{{HUGS}}

Sounds like you and your son need a good dose of pixie dust. And everyone knows the best source of pixie dust is WDW. Don't feel guilty, if your father went through a protracted illness, chances are you've already done a lot of mourning for him. By going to Disney, you can celebrate his life, and start the process of healing yourselves.

Have a great time,
Mort.

Sorry to hear about your Dad :(

Go to Disney and have fun with your Son ~ you both need it.

>>^..^<<

God bless you all for your kinds words and thoughts. You are right my son and I need some pixie dust. My father would have wanted us to go. While I don't know any of you your kind comments have gone to my heart this morning.

lovin_disney,

You've made the right choice. My father passed away in '93, about 3 weeks before a scheduled WDW trip for DW, DS (then 12YO) and I. We talked about it and figured that it would benefit no one if we postponed that trip; as DS put it, "Grandpa wouldn't have wanted to ruin our trip." Honor him by having a great time with your son.

Sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Go to WDW. Your father will be with you in your heart and in spirit. It seems to me that WDW is just the dose of medicine you and your son need. Go and have a wonderful time. :wave:

My sympathies on the loss of your Dad.

We had this same situation when my father passed away suddenly in April. We were scheduled to leave for Myrtle Beach 4 days after he passed away. We considered cancelling our trip. I am so glad we didn't. We just left one day late as the funeral was our day to leave.

It helped to make a rough week better. There wasn't anything I could have done at home that would have changed anything. And I found that seeing my children enjoying themselves was really good for my soul.

I hope you have a good trip.
Carol

Go and enjoy your trip. There is nothing you can do for him now. Is your mother still alive? If she is you might want to consider taking her also.

Take time for those moments in the park when certain things will remind you of your father.

My husband died 8 years ago and several months after he died we went to Disney for the first time. Disney is a great place to escape the real world. It will be back soon enough so enjoy the memories that you will make with your son on this trip.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with everyone else. Go and enjoy some Magic with your son. You guys certainly deserve it.

You can bet that your father will be watching.

have a great trip.

I do't think it's bad at all. My MIL died a week before we had our first child, and what a blessing it was to focus on something joyous during that sad time.
I think a Disney vacation, as long as YOU will be able to have an enjoyable time, will be the perfect thing for you, it's good to have something happy to do right after the sadness.

I am sorry about your dad.:(

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your father is in a better place. Honor him by celebrating his life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter