• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this bad of us???

Bring it, you may not need it. If you don't - not a problem. But they don't sell them at Disney (at least, not to the best of my knowledge), so if you don't have one and do need one, getting one may be a problem

We had ours leashed at 2 and 3 (my kids are 13 months apart), and did NEED it the first day. I have one darter and one daydreamer, and unless we have at least one on one defense going, its easy to lose kids. By day two, the kids knew to stay close, they'd figured out how easy it was to lose Mom (kids are short and everyone's legs look the same from down there - plus, kids are short, they can be standing five feet from you but in a crowd of adults, you can lose them.)

As someone said, watch the trip factor. And you might want to try it out before you go - some kids don't tolerate them. And don't use them as an excuse not to watch your kids. But most of us can't watch our kids every moment, and its those moments where your eye has been caught by a Mickey topiary or you are looking at the park map and your kid heads off another direction that the leash helps with.

And you probably want to take extra precautions with a toddler anyway (or any kid who can't rattle off Mom and Dad's full names and cell phone numbers) - tag them (a lot of people like tags from the pet store - we use a Sharpie) with a cell phone number - just in case.

In my pre-kids days I thought that they were AWFUL - but two boys later I think that it certain situations they would be a great idea :) We never used one, but I may have if I had seen those cutesie backpack ones. My kids never wanted to stay in strollers and there was always a lot of chasing going on:rolleyes: I was never one to force them to stay in a stroller - and I wonder why people think its OK to strap a toddler into a stroller to keep them contained, , but not strap them while they are toddling along to keep them nearby. If you think about it, it really is better to let little ones "out" to explore the world (and the World!) and if a leash helps you to keep them safe then I say go for it!

MTE. I also didn't want my kids to sit and be inactive. Moving around and walking is good and healthy.

You should post more often. :)

We've used one for DD (now 2), and have never gotten a rude look or comment. Actually, most people say what a great idea and asked where we got it. DD doesn't like to stay in the stroller too long, and she's really petite, so holding our hand for a long period of time isn't very comofrtable for her. The bear backpack/harness is a great option for us...we mix it up with the stroller, carrying her, and having her walk while hold her hand. Everyone has their own opinions on parenting...do what you think is best :)

I really don't know how I feel about this and need some honest opinions about it.

My DW and I have this little stuffed monkey, with a pocket, that our DD (20 mo's) loves to wear like a backpack. The kicker is that you can attach the 5 foot "tail" to it and it turns it into a child leash, and that is what is troubling me.

I can honestly say that I can't see us using this leash much at all, except at places like WDW. I just know that when we get to WDW in December, with her older cousins (5 and 8) and her older brother (4), that there will be times when she wants to get out of the stroller and walk and play around with them. This is when I can see us using the leash.

From a I'm-gonna-do-whatever-I have-to to keep track of my kids thinking, that leash is great. From a how-dare-you-have-a-kid-on-a-leash train of thought, I'm wondering if it is such a great idea.

What are your thoughts on these type of things?

We used one for DS for our 2nd and 3rd trips to WW (He was a few weeks shy of 2 and 3) and it worked great for us. It gave him the freedom to explore without being confined to the stroller and it gave DH and I piece of mind that he couldn't wander too far from us and lost. As everyone else said, you have to do what you are comfortable with.

I only have to add one more thing:

E-A-G-L-E-S:cheer2: :cheer2:

Americans are not big users of walking reins, but Europeans are, and you'll see a big difference in the designs. European reins normally attach to the harness at two points, just behind the child's armpits. The harnesses are not only used for walking, but with shorter straps also to keep children from climbing out of [and tipping over] highchairs and shopping carts.

European sets are made with the rein (the strap section) just long enough to touch the child's ankles if dropped. This gives usually about 2-2.5 feet of length to the strap when held by the adult; just enough to be able to push a stroller with it looped over your wrist but still not hoist the older child off the ground. IME, this length is just right for really crowded places such as WDW.

Here is a pic of a Clippasafe brand set in use: http://www.clippasafe.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=11

I say practice a bit before you really have to use it, my daughter liked it, but to my horror she decided to ACT LIKE A DOG :sad2: when I put it on her. She was panting, yipping, barking, it was not fun (although it is a little funny in hindsight).

I have to admit, I saw someone with their little boy at WDW on a baby leash and he was crawling along and his mom was yelling at him that he was, "not a dog!" and my DH leaned over and whispered, "...but you can see why he would be confused..." I did chuckle.

HOWEVER, that was the situation that was funny, not really a commentary on using the leash. DH and I both acknowledge that sometimes they're necessary, and if DS is a runner when he gets older, we'll use one without another thought. I think most parents would understand.

I would much prefer seeing anyone's kid on a leash than seeing them strapped into a stroller and unhappy.

From someone who does a lot of "weird" parenting things and gets more of her share of looks, only you know what's best for your child, and it's really no one else's business! Have a great trip!

From someone who does a lot of "weird" parenting things and gets more of her share of looks, only you know what's best for your child, and it's really no one else's business! Have a great trip!

Frankly, by the time you get to the leash thing you are probably so drained from the dirty looks from breastfeeding or the dirty looks from giving your baby a bottle. The dirty looks you get when your baby cries for four minutes in Target and the dirty looks you get for trying to hush a "perfectly normal" cry. The dirty looks for having a kid covered in graham cracker and the dirty looks when they yell "Momma, HUNGRY" and you don't immediately present them with food (you are probably starving the to death, to death I tell you). The ones you get when someone discover you've dressed your son in his SISTER'S handmedowns - and they are PINK! And don't even TRY to drink a non-alcoholic beer when pregnant, you might as well call the cops on yourself before you even get it.

Frankly, by the time you get to the leash thing you are probably so drained from the dirty looks from breastfeeding or the dirty looks from giving your baby a bottle. The dirty looks you get when your baby cries for four minutes in Target and the dirty looks you get for trying to hush a "perfectly normal" cry. The dirty looks for having a kid covered in graham cracker and the dirty looks when they yell "Momma, HUNGRY" and you don't immediately present them with food (you are probably starving the to death, to death I tell you). The ones you get when someone discover you've dressed your son in his SISTER'S handmedowns - and they are PINK! And don't even TRY to drink a non-alcoholic beer when pregnant, you might as well call the cops on yourself before you even get it.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

YOU ARE SO RIGHT:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

WOW!!! I know I could count on the fellow Dis'ers for their thoughts! Thanks again to all....:thumbsup2

BTW, we have been testing DD with it and she loves having it on. She gets angry when we take it off.

Yeah, me? I'm totally oblivious:confused3 We used a harness kind of like the English one posted, and if anyone frowned, I missed it :) I'm glad your girlie likes it!

IMHO, I feel it is all about the safety of your child...whether they be strapped into their stroller, highchair, carseat, or gosh forbid, one of those 'leashes'.

We used one at DW with our oldest DD (she was 18 months old at the time) and it worked out great for us. I actually never saw anyone give us any 'stares' while using the 'leash'. Actually, quite a few people asked us where they could buy one for their child and that they were sorry they didn't think of getting one sooner. One mother actually told us that her son had already run away from her twice that day, so a 'leash' is just what she would have loved to have.

To me it's all a matter of 'better safe than sorry'...JMHO though;)

I bought the monkey backpack and I plan on using it if needed at Disney next week. You would think that people would realize that you don't want your child to get lost and appreciate that. :sad2: I could see the point if you had collar and all on the kid:lmao: I say go for it! I know I will be!

I have four great kids.
I've used it for some and not for others.
Bottom line, is keep your child safe.
They all end up learning to stay close, but when I needed it, I needed it.
I personally prefer keeping them in the stroller as choice #1. But have used the restraint as well.

Use your judgement and have peace with your choice.

[incidently... 20 months is EXACTLY the age we needed it!!!!]​

I was never one to force them to stay in a stroller - and I wonder why people think its OK to strap a toddler into a stroller to keep them contained, , but not strap them while they are toddling along to keep them nearby. If you think about it, it really is better to let little ones "out" to explore the world (and the World!) and if a leash helps you to keep them safe then I say go for it!

I never force my son into a stroller. (Well, OK, when we take actual walks around the neighborhood.) I've never used the straps in his stroller and he knows how to climb in and out, so conceivably, he could get out whenever we weren't moving. In WDW, he was only in the stroller for times when we wanted to walk faster than his pace. The rest of the time he was walking while holding a hand, or being carried by an adoring grandparent. He's done the drop-dead-weight-and-scream thing when he didn't want to hold hands before. He learned very quickly that he still has to hold hands even if he doesn't want to, and Mommy is serious when she says he can't do X if he doesn't behave. And he is a stubborn, temperamental, fast, active little boy. I'm just more stubborn than him. ;)

I say use it .

A short story; I had a friend who was in a mall and she was walking pushing her stroller with her toddler walking next to the stroller holding onto it and out of nowhere a man came running down the aisle and grabbed her little boy and ran off with him. Luckily someone walking behind them saw it and they tackled the man , all ended well but I say you can never be to safe when it comes to something as irreplacable as a child :love:

I say use it .

A short story; I had a friend who was in a mall and she was walking pushing her stroller with her toddler walking next to the stroller holding onto it and out of nowhere a man came running down the aisle and grabbed her little boy and ran off with him. Luckily someone walking behind them saw it and they tackled the man , all ended well but I say you can never be to safe when it comes to something as irreplacable as a child :love:

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: OMG. I would have been terrified!

I used to be so dead set against those harness/leash things.

Then my DS turned 18 months & boy they are FAST when they are that little!

I saw the animal ones, but I was afraid they would be to hot on his back. So I bought a harness from One Step Ahead.

My DS loved it & I felt much better knowing he was safe & secure.

Look at it this way...

First hold your hand straight up in the air for 10-15 minutes, and ask yourself how it feels. I know usually my arm gets the pins & needles and is not very comfortable doing that. That is pretty much what we are asking our toddlers to do when we "require" them to "hold hands at all times".

Next, in a stroller they are confined, unable to use those legs, unable to explore their worlds, just stuck there, sitting.

The harness keeps them safe, yet allows them to get some exercise, use those little legs & explore the world around them.

Dont use it like a "leash". You are not trying to "control" the child like a dog. Dont tug it, or try to force the child to walk in a certian way with it. Use the harness to keep them safe, but use your arms & words to get them going in the right direction.

I have seen people use them like a real leash & pretty much ignore the child because they know where the kids. Those people are using it like you would a leash on a dog.

But use it & understand you still need to keep your eye on the child at all times, and still interact with your child. You are just using it to prevent them from bolting (and like I said, they are FAST when they are so small...LOL!)

We're planning on using a "leash" with our DS when we go in January, when he'll be 27mo. I just feel safer knowing he can only get so far from me. He's a quiet child & enjoys standing silently a few feet away from Mommy where she can't find him & watching the chaos that ensues, so for us, it's a necessary evil.

I saw the animal ones, but I was afraid they would be to hot on his back. So I bought a harness from One Step Ahead.

This is the same one we used and loved it. There were some places that DS would get updet if we didn't use it, especially if there was a large crowd:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter