• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is This Allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I know this is wrong on so many levels and I agree with everyone who has posted BUT there is another side to the story.

Being a CM is not a well paid job, it is basically on the same pay grade as restaurants in the real world (outside the Disney bubble) Many CMs are on short term contracts or have had their hours reduced. Most CM's live in rented multi person house shares.

MAYBE this CM is doing these unofficial tours as the only way to pay her rent , as her hours at Disney dont pay enough to cover her rent and bills. Maybe she knows what she is doing is wrong and knows she risks but the risk (to her) is worth it , if these unofficial tours give enough money to pay the rent and continue living in Florida and working at Disney.

Yes we all know she is violating her contract with Disney, but who are we to judge the decisions someone makes when they are doing whatever they can to pay the rent?

She can get another job then if that is the case. You can't break the rules of the company you work for because you aren't making enough. That's never acceptable. If she is part time or season with Disney there are many other places that also offer part time in the area and you can manage both. My friend worked at Disney and Legoland in the summers to make extra cash and I have many friends who work at both Universal and Disney. There are other options besides doing something that is a fire on spot offense.

She can get another job then if that is the case. You can't break the rules of the company you work for because you aren't making enough. That's never acceptable. If she is part time or season with Disney there are many other places that also offer part time in the area and you can manage both. My friend worked at Disney and Legoland in the summers to make extra cash and I have many friends who work at both Universal and Disney. There are other options besides doing something that is a fire on spot offense.

I agree, BUT both you and I and all the rest on DIS are not in her situation and we don't know her story. Yes what she is doing is wrong, but people in desperate situations take risks that those outside their situation don't understand.

All I'm saying is judging a persons choices WITHOUT knowing the full story is not right.

So yes, my brother and the neighbors did think it was a decent experience. They tipped her. I'm going to think she was probably tipped well. Even though she really didn't do much. They maybe got extra character time and merch discounts. But honestly she was mostly guiding them about what to do by using the app on her phone :) And also finding all of the bathrooms for them (my sister in law is pregnant). Both my brother and the neighbor are executives. They're used to paying people for services and the name of this CM was passed to the neighbor from her boss who also uses her. I'm not sure how her name was given out in the first place. My mom said that she wore a black rag/cap over her head. I wonder if it was to disguise her appearance? my brother would be angry if he knew that I reported her (almost like he was "special" because he could get this treatment). My issue is that if all CMs did this then getting into see characters /lines/ etc would be crazy with people getting special treatment. Also, she gave misinformation. My mom said it was clear the CM did not want to wait in certain lines (ex she said the talking Mickey at the MK wasn't very good). Sigh. I'll update if I hear something.

I agree, BUT both you and I and all the rest on DIS are not in her situation and we don't know her story. Yes what she is doing is wrong, but people in desperate situations take risks that those outside their situation don't understand.

All I'm saying is judging a persons choices WITHOUT knowing the full story is not right.

Saying that what she is doing is wrong and should be reported is not bad advice to the OP and her mom. If you take the risk of doing something that is wrong no matter what you situation is you have to know when you get caught it was going to happen sooner or later. I've been in her situation actually. I was a CM making next to nothing. I never would have considered risking my job and going on a no rehire list doing something like this. Not once.

If I were in a desperate situation, I wouldn't do something that could get me fired on the spot. She is stealing from her employer -period. That is never acceptable.

I might be inclined to agree with you (about the judging part), EXCEPT that what she is doing is not something that hurts only Disney and herself if found out. She has also misrepresented her services to the people who paid for them in a way that affects the quality of their vacations -- by not delivering what she offers, she deprives them of the chance to make a different choice that gets them what they want. She has taken advantage of others.

Lots of things become more acceptable when seen from other people's shoes, even things that are harmful to others. Would I steal in order to feed my family if there was no other option? I'd like to say never, but truthfully I suspect I can't give an honest answer until I would be in that situation. The key phrase here though, is 'no other option'. I'm a long, long way from being convinced by your example that this person has no other option.

I might be inclined to agree with you (about the judging part), EXCEPT that what she is doing is not something that hurts only Disney and herself if found out. She has also misrepresented her services to the people who paid for them in a way that affects the quality of their vacations -- by not delivering what she offers, she deprives them of the chance to make a different choice that gets them what they want. She has taken advantage of others.

Lots of things that harm others become more acceptable when seen from other people's shoes, even things that are harmful to others. Would I steal in order to feed my family if there was no other option? I'd like to say never, but truthfully I suspect I can't give an honest answer until I would be in that situation. The key phrase here though, is 'no other option'. I'm a long, long way from being convinced by your example that this person has no other option.
Exactly! For a lot of the trip they thought they would be able to skip lines or something during this "tour." That didn't happen. They also were told that she could probably get them into BOG for dinner at 4:30. This didn't happen either of course. Of course my brother/neighbors are so clueless that they missed a couple of dinner reservations on this trip and thought it was no big deal to have to pay the fee.

Yes I agree that she is stealing from Disney and misrepresenting her services and that by doing this, she has now been outed on Dis, where I'm sure someone from Disney keeps a watch on posts and topics. All I'm saying is that people have all sorts of work ethics and while you or I would never even dream of doing something like this, she obviously thinks the risks are worth it, for whatever reason

There are other options, but she chose the option that broke her contract. You condone choosing the illegal option over legal options? Where do you draw the line - how desperate would one have to be to condone stealing, or even something worse?

Sounds like a ... fairly-good-racket (clever but not totally right)

One that one-may-do ... after they *terminate* their employment with DISNEY.

Even then ... some-or-most-people ... would not feel it is ethical.

Most probably this has happened ... more than once by past and present employees.

Although it might be the first time that this has been posted on the DISboards.

Being a CM is not a well paid job, it is basically on the same pay grade as restaurants in the real world (outside the Disney bubble) Many CMs are on short term contracts or have had their hours reduced. Most CM's live in rented multi person house shares.

No one forces anyone to work at Disney. People going into a job at Disney (at McD's at Starbucks etc) know just what they'll be making. If they can get a job that makes more, they should take that job. If the price is unacceptable, different choices need to be made. Different steps need to be taken.

Also...

At 35% discount she would probably be a salaried or long term FT employee

badpinktink....With that level of discount, she's no newbie.

people in desperate situations take risks that those outside their situation don't understand.

Anyone who has been in a desperate situation (or one that just feels desperate) and made the legal, not-breaking-a-contract, better, choice can understand completely that it's the WRONG thing to do.

She's going to be fired. How is THAT going to pay her rent?

Wow, that's horrible.

What I really can't get my head around is why Gracie would admit that she is a CM. If you're going to try and pull that racket off, I would think just marketing yourself as a personal guide familiar with the parks would be the way to go. Although it sounds like she completely misrepresented herself to the one who did the hiring by saying she would cut lines?

The whole thing is bizarre, but if in fact it is all accurate, then for sure this CM needs to be reported. She stole from her employer and she was not honest with her "clients". Double whammy.

it looks like a legit website, maybe not so smart to have given her her real name. Maybe she doesn't work at Disney anymore, she says she was in the college program...unless it's another Gracie ;)
I remembered you said she got CM discount so she has to be working for them still
EDIT T ADD: I was reading her bio and it says she "moonlights" as a vacation planner at WDW...not very smart

Last edited:
I find this whole story more amusing than appalling. CM making $50 a head to walk around the park and show clueless people how to use MDE while providing no special ride access? Good for her for making a quick buck. But I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for her if/when she gets fired.

I'm also not going to feel sorry for the brother and neighbor who got shortchanged on the perks they were promised. They had an excellent Disney resource there in Grandma, and they chose to ignore her and instead hire some scam artist on the internet? And then they actually tipped the CM who got them almost nothing?

I feel bad for Grandma. I am lucky, when planning my extended family trips, my family recognized my experience going to WDW and listened to my tips/advice, and they appreciated it. I would hate to be on a trip with Disney newbies who refused to listen to basic common-sense planning advice.

I find this whole story more amusing than appalling. CM making $50 a head to walk around the park and show clueless people how to use MDE while providing no special ride access? Good for her for making a quick buck. But I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for her if/when she gets fired.

I'm also not going to feel sorry for the brother and neighbor who got shortchanged on the perks they were promised. They had an excellent Disney resource there in Grandma, and they chose to ignore her and instead hire some scam artist on the internet? And then they actually tipped the CM who got them almost nothing?

I feel bad for Grandma. I am lucky, when planning my extended family trips, my family recognized my experience going to WDW and listened to my tips/advice, and they appreciated it. I would hate to be on a trip with Disney newbies who refused to listen to basic common-sense planning advice.

Found the website as well. She "moonlights" as a vacation planner. That means she works at ticket sells. Yeah she won't have a job much longer.

This thread made me curious, so I found the website as well... And it turns out that I've worked with this girl. Her name on the website is not her real name.

Gracie isn't very bright, her picture on the website, seriously not bright at all. I imagine she won't need to moonlight much longer as it's doubtful she'll have her regular job. Also I am so disgusted that people actually take money for a service that people can do for free. I guess some people just have money to waste. I get Disney VIP tours, but there are basically just a live touring plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter