• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this against the rules or considered bad ettiquette? (Sci-Fi Dine in question)

slickpoetry

Super Planner
Well I woke up at 5 AM trying to get a ressie for my party of 8 for Sci-Fi Dine In

The only time offered was 8:15 PM, which is way too late for us. I'll try changing it the week of (hoping there's cancellations) but in the meantime, I was wondering if it is possible for us to eat dinner somewhere else (already booked 50's Prime Time Cafe for 5 PM) and then just go to the 8:15 reservation and have dessert? Like order milkshakes for everyone?

I just wonder if A. there's a requirement to actually purchase a meal, and B. Whether the cast member serving us will be ticked off lol

There’s not a requirement you buy a meal, but that will be a very disappointed CM, especially with a party of 8. Tip very generously and the server won’t be saying nasty things about you when you leave.

Last edited:

A) It's allowed

B) Absolutely possible you'll get a ticked off server. The one time I did this with a party of 2 at BOG before the prix fixe menu came to be I had one of the rudest servers I've encountered at WDW. I think with a party that large the tip will be automatically included but it would be nice to leave/add more.

Not against the rules and I think folks often will come in for their milkshakes or desserts (which are good). So go ahead and enjoy yourselves.

Normally I would say don't tie up their table long but if the park closes at 9 you are likely their last party anyway on that table. Note whenever we do TS with only some appetizers and drinks (we enjoy doing that), I always tip as I would with a meal. And we tell them up front we are only getting XXX and then at least they know.

I'll just share a Sci Fi story ...

DS and I were front seat of a car, and behind us were Mom, Dad, Son. They were seated right after us. We ordered our full meal, DS eats slow but we usually are done in an hour. Family was there almost as long as we were. For the first 40 minutes they kept telling the server they were waiting on their other son to get there to order. All they got were some sodas. The server kept checking on them and they kept sending them off. The son finally arrived and guess what .... they had no intention of ordering anything and they wanted their bill. No idea what they tipped on their $10 bill after sitting there an hour but I can tell you once they left there was a flurry of servers talking about them. We were seated up front close to their work station and they were fuming so my guess is they got a $1.50 tip for taking up two tables for an hour - our tip was around $10 to compare for one table.

Last edited:

Sorry I just do not get it

Eating at 8 15 9 30 pm pm is way to late for us BUT you wish to go there anyway

AND have a Desert so you will be Still on the premises till 9.30 pm

BEST idea is to Have your Milkshakes at 5 pm & then

take up the 8.15 slot

It's really tacky. How much money is your party of 8 going to spend eating at Prime Time? Whatever that tip is, is how much you should be tipping by taking up a table for $7 milkshakes. Plus, you're taking away a reservation from someone who would actually eat a meal there, possibly alcohol, and tip accordingly.

Seems like you just really want to see Sci-Fi. Perhaps a late lunch followed by a late dinner. Also, you can continue daily checking to see if you can modify for an earlier time. Lots of reservations seem to open randomly with the new ability to modify/cancel only two hours in advance. Good luck.

Not the same, but the same. We book a mid day break at The Plaza every day we visit Magic Kingdom and we only order ice cream and drinks. I always order the banana split. I always inform the server like this every time: "We are only ordering ice cream and drinks but we will tip you as if we ordered a meal". They always tell me it's alright and we always get great service. And I do leave a generous tip. It's never been a problem.

I just wonder if A. there's a requirement to actually purchase a meal, and B. Whether the cast member serving us will be ticked off lol

If servers get ticked off for a party ordering what they want, then they are crappy servers. And I've been a server. I was happy to meet their needs; not insist they have different needs.

Florida enforced server minimum is $11, and if you get 8 $7 shakes that's $56 plus tax and tip on that, and you say you're tipping extra.... The math can be done for the pay for the minimum work to take a shake order and bring them out. I'd be happy to be able to let your table coast while I took care of other people.

Not sure if it matters to the OP, but you will not sit together as a party of 8. You might be close to each other, but that's about it.

If it was me, I'd keep checking for a different reservation time, especially the day before your reservation.

PPs have talked about tipping and about taking up a table that someone else would want for a meal.

My question is - why do you want to go to Sci Fi?

Do you think it would be fun to sit at those tables? Do you think the movie clips would be fun to watch? I wonder how many of your 8 people would really enjoy the atmosphere - I wasn't all that impressed.

I don't know the ages and personalities of your group, or where you are staying. You might have people who would enjoy a milkshake in a theme park at 8:15 pm. On the other hand, you might have people who would rather just go back to the hotel and crash if you're done with the attractions at the park -- especially if it's going to take a long time to get back to your hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter