Is this acceptable or considered cutting in line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't read all 190+ previous posts, so if this has been said already, forgive me,

But I think it is line jumping. Basically, what this hypothetical family is doing is double dipping--running dad ahead to get FP for say, Splash, so they don't have to stand in line, then getting in line for Pooh so they don't have to wait for dad to get back.

Sorry, I think it's cheating.

Now, if you are in line in front of me and your 3 year old needs to pottie, only will I let you back in but I will watch your other kids for you! :)

As one of those people, I'll break it down. As the parent of small kids I view it as professional courtisy. I'll go with the grocery line analogy again, it's a good one. If I'm in line with a cart full of stuff (as any parent of small kids will tell you, we buy lots of groceries), and some one gets in line behind me with, oh, say, a pack of diapers. I'll let them go ahead of me. Because I know what it's like to unexpectedly be out of diapers, or realize you forgot to buy them. You HAVE to go back to the store. But if it's some frat guy with a 12 pack of beer, he has to wait. I also have been in his place, thinking I had enough beer but really not. His situation just doesn't seem as worthy of sympathy. Prejudice? Perhaps, but I'm sure plenty of peeps will agree with my logic.

Needing a fastpass in not an emergency. Your kids will survive without them.

Well, I am planning to do this while my husband and SIL are in line, then go join them. The difference being that I won't be riding the ride with them as I am pregnant.

So I'll push up to them in the line, get nasty looks from people, then just turn around or find the nearest exit.

So I'm not cutting the ride line, though I suppose in a way I am cutting in on the FP queue. :confused3

I have a hypothetical question.
Forget the potty breaks for a minute, which in many people's mind is a completely different situation than running for fastpasses. Let's say it takes the FP-running dad 15 minutes to get to the ride, grab FPs, and then get back to the first ride. I really HATE waiting in lines in the heat. Would it be OK if I let my family get in line while I waited in a nice, air-conditioned store beside the cue? I would only stay in there for 15 minutes, then excuse my way up in line to my family, thereby taking up no more of your time than the FP dad. That just doesn't seem right, does it? IMO, it is the same thing. One person or family is getting an advantage while the rest of us are stuck waiting in line.

Needing a fastpass in not an emergency. Your kids will survive without them.

I never said anything compairing FP need to emergency. My point is that I feel a certain kinship to people with kids that compels me to extend certain courtesies to them that I wouldn't to others. I understand that the parents are only working this system due to the limited amount of time the kids can stand lines, heat etc. I have compassion for their plight. I don't view them the same as teenagers who want to go home and brag about how they cut in line and rode RRC 20X. That to me is different.

I always wonder, would you really want to wind thru a long line "excuse me... can I get thru... pardon me... my family is up ahead...) or just go get the FP before or while mom and child ride dumbo and meet them at the end.
I'm completely with you on this. I'd rather not have to push my way through a line of people all giving me dirty looks. ;)
We also don't take cell phones with us into the parks, so we don't split up. I'd rather take the extra time to all go get FPs together, or wait while one person uses the restroom, than split up and risk:
a) a longer line at the FP machine than at the ride 1 of us gets in line for
b) FP time being given out for our ADR time
c) DP gets distracted by shop/food in between rides and "forgets" to come meet us :rotfl:

The little bit of time saved isn't worth the stress/aggravation to me. The only time I'd leave a line & then rejoin the rest of the group is to take a small child to the restroom, and even then only if we're a good way in to a looong line. If we've only been waiting 10 minutes, we can all get out of line to go to the bathroom. 10 "lost" minutes are not going to make or break my vacation.

Well, I am planning to do this while my husband and SIL are in line, then go join them. The difference being that I won't be riding the ride with them as I am pregnant.

So I'll push up to them in the line, get nasty looks from people, then just turn around or find the nearest exit.

So I'm not cutting the ride line, though I suppose in a way I am cutting in on the FP queue. :confused3

Why not just wait for them on a nice shaded bench near the exit? "Cutting" or not, you will have to push past lots of people, which many consider rude, and you risk a confrontation. Seems to me that sitting and waiting would allow everyone a more "magical" time (yourself included).:confused3

This is not something I would do. :sad2: It's just not the right thing to do, in my opinion, though I am sure many people do it.

I have a hypothetical question.
Forget the potty breaks for a minute, which in many people's mind is a completely different situation than running for fastpasses. Let's say it takes the FP-running dad 15 minutes to get to the ride, grab FPs, and then get back to the first ride. I really HATE waiting in lines in the heat. Would it be OK if I let my family get in line while I waited in a nice, air-conditioned store beside the cue? I would only stay in there for 15 minutes, then excuse my way up in line to my family, thereby taking up no more of your time than the FP dad. That just doesn't seem right, does it? IMO, it is the same thing. One person or family is getting an advantage while the rest of us are stuck waiting in line.

In my mind, no. Because my logic is predicated on one's action being beneficial to children. Not adults. I understand that primarily the dad is trying to avoid the kids waiting in numerous lines. I suspect if it were just the parents, they'd wait in the lines together. The kids are the prime motivator.

Would this be considered line cutting? During the Year of a Million Dreams my DH and I went to WDW with another couple. While we were in the process of getting fastpasses for Soarin my friend jokingly said to one of the CMs "What are our chances of going to the front of the line?" The CM responded "Actually, the chance is very good." He stopped us from getting the fastpasses and then took us to the front of the line. We were given a certificate which stated we had a wish granted. I guess some people would be upset that we cut the line. ;)

The sheer amount of responses in this thread are a good indication that there are very strong feelings about this. Probably not a good idea. :)

Stupid just stupid!!! Some ppl make me ill in the stomach! For the ppl who get pissy about holding a spot for a family member what if it was YOU who had to go to the bathroom or had to take a child of yours to the bathroom and had to leave the line and come back... that would be ok wouldn't it. I dont see a problem with it cause if that person was going to be in the line from the start the wait time would still be whatever it would be. There is more thingsin this world to worry about then someone meeting up with the family in line. Getting kicked out of a park for it???? They are not actually budding! Budding is when a person or persons who are not in the line pick a spot and just weasle thier way into it... thats budding. Your at Disney have fun and stop being stuffy about silly things. :) :confused3:rolleyes1
Oh yes and myself I would not get mad... when your in the happiest place on earth there really is not much that could get me mad...just breath relax and have fun!

Stupid just stupid!!! Some ppl make me ill in the stomach! For the ppl who get pissy about holding a spot for a family member what if it was YOU who had to go to the bathroom or had to take a child of yours to the bathroom and had to leave the line and come back... that would be ok wouldn't it. I dont see a problem with it cause if that person was going to be in the line from the start the wait time would still be whatever it would be. There is more thingsin this world to worry about then someone meeting up with the family in line. Getting kicked out of a park for it???? They are not actually budding! Budding is when a person or persons who are not in the line pick a spot and just weasle thier way into it... thats budding. Your at Disney have fun and stop being stuffy about silly things. :) :confused3:rolleyes1
Oh yes and myself I would not get mad... when your in the happiest place on earth there really is not much that could get me mad...just breath relax and have fun!
Actually, here is the definition of cutting from merriam-webster.com:
"to advance by skipping or bypassing another"
If you get a FP and THEN get in line (which is what the OP's question was), then you are skipping or bypassing people who have been in line longer than you, regardless of if your family is in line farther up. Most people seem to agree that a potty emergency is an acceptable reason to get out of and then reenter the line (again, you are not really skipping people in that instance as you were in line but had to briefly leave for an emergency).

I never said anything compairing FP need to emergency. My point is that I feel a certain kinship to people with kids that compels me to extend certain courtesies to them that I wouldn't to others. I understand that the parents are only working this system due to the limited amount of time the kids can stand lines, heat etc. I have compassion for their plight. I don't view them the same as teenagers who want to go home and brag about how they cut in line and rode RRC 20X. That to me is different.

Kids can handle waiting in lines better than you think. Most lines are inside, where it is air-conditioned, or at least in the shade. Kids have to wait in lines at school, so it is not a foreign concept.

Should I be able to cut in line, as I get clausterphobic having to wait in long lines? That is more of an honest problem then just not wanting to have to deal with keeping kids occupied in line. No one is thrilled having to wait in a long line, but the majority of us understand that that is the price we pay for having fun. It is not ok for people to cut in front of the line, just because they feel they have a ready made excuse.

I know this is coming off a bit harsh, but geeze. It shoouldn't be a hard concept to grab. Walking in front of people who are already in line when you were not there to begin with is cutting.

Woa! I'm glad you're much more relaxed at WDW than on the Dis. :rolleyes1 I just want to point out that the OP didn't ask about this situation, he asked if he could go somewhere else first and then catch up, not step out of line and get back in. As I've previously said, I would gladly let someone else catch up to their party without questioning them as you're right, just have fun and relax. What's a couple of extra minutes? However, personally I wouldn't do it myself. Again, what's a couple of extra minutes? As far as your scenario, most lines we get in are less than 15 minutes long, so I've never had to worry about the potty break issue with the kids but I'm sure I would if it was a true potty emergency and we had time to go before the rest of the family got to the front. However, I'd also tell the CM so they knew we'd be rejoining the family shortly.

Well I have not read all of the responses but since I am just voicing my opinion then I guess I technically do not need to read them all. LOL So my thoughts, like them or not are this.

If I am standing in an hour long line with my Dh and 3 kids (8,6,1) and about 30 minutes into the wait my kids are getting very hot from standing in the sun (lets not forget that not all waits have some type of covering over them to keep the hot sun off of you) and are sweating,bored and thirsty I would 100% have myself or Dh take some or all of them out of the line to go get some shade and cool off for a few minutes. When they felt better I would walk right back up to DH and get back in line. I did not cut you. I went back to my spot that I had already been "serving my time" in. If you were the family behind me or at least a few families back you would see that they left the line for whatever reason and know that since I am not just standing there alone to ride dumbo that they will be returning. I will not torture my kids and have that hot florida sun beating down on them as we wait in line just b/c someone "new" to the line might have a problem with it b/c they just got in the line and have no idea why my crew was leaving for a few minutes. I have got in the front of the line for the lion king show 40 minutes ahead of time 2 years ago and had DH take the 2 boys for a walk and potty break while I stood in the sun waiting. About 5 minutes before the show started they came and met up with me. Did any of the people that were in the front waiting with me "seem" to care? No. Did the people in the very back of the line care? Maybe. I see ZERO,ZERO,ZERO difference with this then when people have mom/dad/grandma~who ever~ get a good spot on a bench or curb an hour before a parade starts and that person puts "stuff" down to save the space for the rest of their party while the rest of the party is off either getting a drink, getting ice cream, riding a ride or two, whatever. They had someone there saving their spots. Would I go and say "oh no you don't! If they are not here then I can take this spot. Would I ever see someone in a group/family get up from their spot and walk away while the rest of the family is still sitting there and go and take their "seat?" NO! Maybe some of you would b/c if it is not ok for some or part of a family to hold the spot in line then you must feel like it is not ok to hold spots on the side walk for the parade. What's good for one situation should apply to them all then. Right? I will say this though. If we are in a nice cool building waiting an hour to get on a ride and my kids just keep saying that they are sick of waiting (no sun problems, no potty issues, no dehydration happening) then I would tell them to either keep waiting or we can all leave and not go on the ride.

No one is thrilled having to wait in a long line, but the majority of us understand that that is the price we pay for having fun

I am only laughing at that statement b/c I could just see myself standing in line with my kids in the hot sun and them saying that the sunning is hurting their head/eyes/whatever (since we have been standing there for 30 minutes) and I say ~This is the price we pay for having fun~ to them. I bet I would come back from Disney, log on and find a thread about "some of the worst things you have heard parents say to their children while at Disney" and I am just about positive my response to my kids would be on there. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

i have not read the responses, but i thought i should mention that sometimes you CANNOT make it back up to your family, no matter the reason you stepped out of line.

I use a wheelchair, and generally it takes up the whole width of the line. (for things like buzz, obviously not for Soarin). One cannot pass me unless they climb over me, which obviously is not accpetable. and I am NOT maneuvering all over the place to let a stranger climb over my $10,000 wheelchair system, and put their various body parts in my face.

I hate when people count on getting up in line, then look at me like i am purposefully using a wheelchair for the sole purpose of annoying them!!

I dont really care if ONE person is catching up to others in line (annoyed when its a whole family), but if you cannot walk by without touching my wheelchair, sorry, you're waiting in line behind me.

just my 2 cents

Actually, here is the definition of cutting from merriam-webster.com:
"to advance by skipping or bypassing another"
If you get a FP and THEN get in line (which is what the OP's question was), then you are skipping or bypassing people who have been in line longer than you, regardless of if your family is in line farther up. Most people seem to agree that a potty emergency is an acceptable reason to get out of and then reenter the line (again, you are not really skipping people in that instance as you were in line but had to briefly leave for an emergency).
Either way it is a stupid thing to get your panties in an uproar over... and yes that may be the dictionary definition.... but to me and I am sure others a father joining the line withhis family after the fact is not budding, sorry I just don't see the big deal on this and I am sure most who disagree would see it ok if for some reason they would have to do it with thier own family then of course in thier mind ya its ok. Done arguing about it I have my opinion on it and so does everyone else, and I just dont seem to get mad about silly things like this and nor should others! :rolleyes1

If I am standing in an hour long line with my Dh and 3 kids (8,6,1) and about 30 minutes into the wait my kids are getting very hot from standing in the sun (lets not forget that not all waits have some type of covering over them to keep the hot sun off of you) and are sweating,bored and thirsty I would 100% have myself or Dh take some or all of them out of the line to go get some shade and cool off for a few minutes. When they felt better I would walk right back up to DH and get back in line. I did not cut you. I went back to my spot that I had already been "serving my time" in. If you were the family behind me or at least a few families back you would see that they left the line for whatever reason and know that since I am not just standing there alone to ride dumbo that they will be returning. I will not torture my kids and have that hot florida sun beating down on them as we wait in line just b/c someone "new" to the line might have a problem with it b/c they just got in the line and have no idea why my crew was leaving for a few minutes. I have got in the front of the line for the lion king show 40 minutes ahead of time 2 years ago and had DH take the 2 boys for a walk and potty break while I stood in the sun waiting. About 5 minutes before the show started they came and met up with me. Did any of the people that were in the front waiting with me "seem" to care? No. Did the people in the very back of the line care? Maybe. I see ZERO,ZERO,ZERO difference with this then when people have mom/dad/grandma~who ever~ get a good spot on a bench or curb an hour before a parade starts and that person puts "stuff" down to save the space for the rest of their party while the rest of the party is off either getting a drink, getting ice cream, riding a ride or two, whatever. They had someone there saving their spots. Would I go and say "oh no you don't! If they are not here then I can take this spot. Would I ever see someone in a group/family get up from their spot and walk away while the rest of the family is still sitting there and go and take their "seat?" NO! Maybe some of you would b/c if it is not ok for some or part of a family to hold the spot in line then you must feel like it is not ok to hold spots on the side walk for the parade. What's good for one situation should apply to them all then. Right? I will say this though. If we are in a nice cool building waiting an hour to get on a ride and my kids just keep saying that they are sick of waiting (no sun problems, no potty issues, no dehydration happening) then I would tell them to either keep waiting or we can all leave and not go on the ride.

You can always make sure you don't schedule your Disney trip in the middle of the summer, if you think any family member might have a problem being out in it for too long. Honestly, I think the sun is more of a problem just walking around the parks than it is waiting in the lines.

And the people that try to save 10 spots on the curb with bags and stuff before the parade starts bug me too. We could start another thread, if you want to chat about that one!;)

The thing is, many of us could find some excuse or another for not waiting in line. Little Johnny is too young to wait in a long line. It is too hard on little Cindy to stand in line for that long. My dad and I are going to Disney this July, and we already know it will be hot. Dad also will be 70yrs old, so I suppose I could say that he could sit on a bench and then just join me in line later. Seems reasonable. And I suppose most families could say the same about various family members. But what is the point of having lines if so many people can't be bothered to wait in them?

I would hate for Disney to end up so strict on waiting in line, like many other theme parks are. At Cedar Point, you don't leave the line for anything, and there is no cutting at all. There is a 2 hour line, and you leave to use the restroom? Too bad, you start at the end. I think it is nice that Disney lets people leave with their little ones to use the restroom. But if too many people start thinking that they are too special to wait in line, I can see them becoming more strict. And that would be a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter