Is this a good Rate?

LaurieA

Mouseketeer
I got Hampton Inn on Windover for 42.00 night, free parking, free shuttle and breakfast. Nothing fancy I know but I am on a very strict budget. Myself and my son are heading to universal/ioa in August. We planned a trip which included Disney 2 years ago but could not go do to medical reasons(head injury). Financially I still can't afford, but want to treat my son since he put up with alot over the past few years. Honestly people think I am crazy because I am sill not allowed to work, but when deaths door comes so close you realize to live. Sorry, I guess I needed to vent. We lost everything, we need this!! Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this, cheaper hotel with breakfast, transportation? He is so excited!!! So am I! How about car rental??? Should I look into the 20.02 hotel, but they do not have a free shuttle to universal. Help please:)

How wonderful that you are going to WDW with your son especially considering what you've been through........
I hope you find some great deals.....Have fun planning your trip! You deserve it!
Naomi :)

Hi Laurie, sorry to hear about yor accident, and it seems are looking up for you now.

Are you planning to go only to Universal parks?
If so, then I would stick with the Hampton Inn. Or you could try priceline if you are a gambler for Universal area. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for tips.

The marriott $20 deal is a good deal if you are going to disney too. You could stay there and drive to Univeral. Small car rentals probably costs about $200 week at least, tho.

And, yes, orlando can be done on a budget. Just keep readin gthese boards.

Herc.

We are only going to universal parks,He is a jurassic park addict. No Disney now(I do love Disney though). Someday when things are better. I heard it is really expensive to eat at Universal, any ideas. Thanks for the info, I love these boards, and everyone is soo friendly and helpful. Thanks for info and good wishes.

Hi LaurieA and welcome to the Disboards. Glad to see things are getting better for you. When in August are you going? Value season starts at most hotels on Aug 25th. $42 per nite is'nt bad whether its value season or not. I've not stayed at that Hampton Inn, but I can tell you it's part of the Hilton Family of hotels. Go to www.hamptoninn.com and do a search for Orlando, Fl and it'll show you all the Hampton's in the area. The one you booked is at 5621 Windhover Dr. I got a map from www.mapquest.com and it's about 2/10 of a mile from US/IOA. It might be 1/2 mile but it does'nt look that far. How long are you going to be there? If it's more than 2 days you should think about buying 2 park power packs. It's an annual pass with some blackout dates. These blackout dates include the 1st 2 weekends in Aug., 9/3-4 and 9/10-11. If you're not going either of those weekends and if you'll be there more than 2 days the 2 park power pack is worth it. Admission is $50 per day per person, the annual is $99 ea, so if you spend more than 2 days the rest of the days are FREE, and the tix are good for a year. How old is your son? That makes a difference in price for tix. If he's 9 or under he is a child in Orlando, but if he's 10 he's an adult. I have a 4yo that thinks she's grown but I still don't want to pay adult prices for her now or at 10. It should be at least 13....sorry, I'm off my soapbox now, but don't ask me about WDW closing Carousel Of Progress for most of the year. I may NEVER shut up!:D ;) Eating at US/IOA and Citywalk can get expensive. Eat the free breakfast at the hotel, then if you want to eat a sit-down meal, do a late lunch, say 2 or 3 and then eat either counter service or outside the parks at night. Lunch is generally cheaper in all the Full Service Restaurants than dinner, and it's USUALLY the same portions. Try Mythos at IOA for lunch. Lombard's Landing at US is good too.

Whatever you decide to do, relax and have a good time.:jester: US/IOA is a WONDERFUL vacation with or without Disney. You can do this. Just keep reading the Disboards and searching the internet. Planning is half the fun.:D

Cheers:)

PS...If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. The nicest people in the world populate these boards, and most of them love helping people plan. It keeps some of us sane between trips.:D ;)

Laurie:

Boy can I relate to you! I first discovered the joy of Orlando while suffering from a chronic illness. My wonderful son, who was 6 at the time, spent a year taking care of ME! At the end of one of the worse years of my life, I treated him to our first trip to Orlando and to the brand new (at the time) Islands of Adventure.

The rest is history! :D

Since then we've been back 12 times and my health is MUCH better. My last two trips were the first I times I went when I could really enjoy it. The place reminds me of the struggle and how it's the ultimate escape.

On the other hand I'm a single mother and money is ALWAYS an issue. The date you go in August can make the difference in how much you pay. Some hotels are offering deals after the 14th, when most Southern schools reopen. If you're going before, I would suggest Priceline HIGHLY. The 3 stars in the USF area are ALL good hotels, all offer shuttles and are in close proximity to the parks.

As for breakfast, if you don't get the free one, there is a McDonalds on Kirkman Rd for a good cheap breakfast. Heck, it could be lunch and dinner, too, if you choose. There is also a Ponderosa on Kirkman that has a great buffet for a low price if you and your family like LOTS of food. The Radisson Universal has a Pizza Hut in their lobby for personal pans and you can eat in the atrium which is beautiful and lit up at night. Or, you can hit the Denny's or the Wendy's (love that 99 cent menu) on Major Blvd.

As for onsite, my son and I NEVER miss MYTHOs. The food is incredible and the ambience cannot be missed. How to afford it? Order the kid's meals! They are big enough to fill an adult and DElicious! You can get a smoothy or a milkshake with them also! My son and I have never spent more than $20 each time we go there.

Get juice boxes (I like the Capri Suns) for quick pick me ups at the park while standing on line. Frozen water bottles help greatly, too. They also prevent you from spending money at the concession stands. Small snacks in a backpack or in a fanny pack help also.

As Barry said, this place is a WEALTH of information. You and your baby deserve this diversion, so go and enjoy it. You won't regret it.

PM or email me if you need any more info.

Robinrs

Thanks for the info! My son is 13 now. He watched our life change and his mom learn to talk and behave, I guess he became my keeper. (he did pull a few over on my though when my memory was gone-kids)!! We are going August 10-15. Has anyone seen the hampton on Windover,the internet pictures don't so the pool. Iam gong to stay there the 10 and 11 for sure. A friend gave me 2 nights from her hilton honor points! The other nights, if I could find something for the same price but a nicer pool- ! Priceline scares me-never used it. We will go to Mythos I see that everyone here raves about it. I did get my tickets, I purchased them a month ago- the 5 coseq. days tickets!

I was reading the budget board, some of those posts make me laugh, especially the ones where people are going through their possessions(ad everyone elses) to sell. So funny!! I am getting addicted to this board, it's exciting. So many Disney fans!!!!!!
Iwish we were going to Disney, next year when I am completely better!
Thanks everyone- you all are great!!!! I am so excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter