is there other camping in the orlando area

wendy522

Mouseketeer
We are new to camping and are wondering if there are any other camp grounds any of you would recommend in the orlando area. We have 4 kids 13, 7, 8, 9 so we are looking for family enviorment. We would like it to have acivities for children. We are on a budget so we would like to look at all our options.

Tropical Palms
Turkey Lake
Orlando RV Resort

I'm pretty sure they don't have activities at TL and ORR. Not sure about TP.

We stayed at Tropical Palms in June for the second half of our trip. I know they had daily activities, including a huge blow up water slide next to the pool area. It looked great. Sorry I can't give you more specifics about it. We did not participate in these because we were at the parks all day. We did like this campground because it was really close to WDW, clean and inexpensive. We used our Passport America 50% off discount. Hope this helps. Best wishes. pixiedust:

We've camped many times at Kelly Park and at Wekiva Springs State Park. Kelly Park has Rock Springs Run, a tubing run that isn't too long, and Wekiva has a really nice spring-fed swimming hole, canoe rentals, and nature walks. There probably isn't a lot of organized recreation for the kids, but I don't remember ever being bored there as a kid or my kids complaining when we camped there.

These parks are up on the north side of Orlando, so not really convenient to the parks, but great if you want to see what undeveloped FL is like. Now I want to go to Rock Springs when I'm down there this week!

When I was a teen we stayed at Sherwood Forest RV park. I remember it was very nice, but this was almost 20 years ago now. Here's a link: http://www.rvonthego.com/Sherwood-Forest-RV-Resort.html

I don't know much about it, except that it must have been very affordable because my dad was the king of frugal travel. :) I had a great time there, but we didn't spend a lot of time there. We were at Disney!

There are a few nice state parks many as pp have said have springs. The springs a awesome, imagine swimming in bottled water. :). It's a chance to experience a part of the real Florida. (the beaches are great too) Blue springs is another good choice.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34511-d185193-Reviews-Blue_Spring_State_Park-Orange_City_Florida.html and here's a link to State parks around not all have camping, not all have springs. http://www.floridastateparks.org/findapark/district-central.cfm

Staying away from DW can be more expensive if you plan on visiting DW every day. it costs $14 a day to park but if you stay at FW then you don't pay the parking fee and the gas to get to and from DW.

We stayed at Tropical Palms in June for the second half of our trip. I know they had daily activities, including a huge blow up water slide next to the pool area. It looked great. Sorry I can't give you more specifics about it. We did not participate in these because we were at the parks all day. We did like this campground because it was really close to WDW, clean and inexpensive. We used our Passport America 50% off discount. Hope this helps. Best wishes. pixiedust:

Out of curiosity, with having to pay for parking at the parks and driving to the parks everyday, do you really save that much by staying at RV parks rather than Fort Wilderness?

I haven't yet stayed at FW, but I do know it's expensive. However, whenever I check the rates at RV parks on the coast, FW is not that much more for all the amenities it provides.

Like I said, I'm just curious. :wave2:

Out of curiosity, with having to pay for parking at the parks and driving to the parks everyday, do you really save that much by staying at RV parks rather than Fort Wilderness?

I haven't yet stayed at FW, but I do know it's expensive. However, whenever I check the rates at RV parks on the coast, FW is not that much more for all the amenities it provides.

Like I said, I'm just curious. :wave2:

I guess it depends on the time of the year that you are going to WDW. We went in June. FW prices were $90-$100 a night. Tropical Palms was $18 a night. So, even paying the $14 to park, we still came out cheaper. As for gas, Tropical Palms is VERY close to WDW. We were at the parks within minutes.

Another little known local option is Elite Resorts at Citrus Valley on Route 27.

I guess it depends on the time of the year that you are going to WDW. We went in June. FW prices were $90-$100 a night. Tropical Palms was $18 a night. So, even paying the $14 to park, we still came out cheaper. As for gas, Tropical Palms is VERY close to WDW. We were at the parks within minutes.

$18/night vs $90/$100/night - Absolutely worth the parking, gas, and slight inconvenience. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter