Is there much to do for a mature 13 year old?

elovell

Mouseketeer
I know that my DS 6 will love the cruise, but I have a DS 13 that is very mature. Will there be things that he will enjoy & keep him entertained?

On our cruise in 2006 my two oldest who at the time were 14 1/2yrs and 13yrs. old had a BLAST!! They are boy and girl and at home NEVER played together, but on the ship, we could rarely find them apart as they had SO much fun at the different activities together. We are going back for our second cruise this fall, they are now 16 and 17 yrs old, and they are SO excited about returning to something that has given them so many wonderful memories!
Every child is different, but I've never heard of a kid (or teenager) NOT having a good time. There was the teens club, but my two spent very little time in there, they had more fun elsewhere on the ship. :)

What all did they enjoy doing? I'd never thought about a Disney Cruise, but I got a pin for kids under 18 to sail free, so I'm seriously considering it.

Due to the freedom they are allowed on the ship. Teens appear to me to be having as much if not more then anyone else!

My son has sailed the Magic at 11 1/2, 13 1/2 and coming this August - 16 1/2. It's his favorite vacation destination.

He enjoys the planned activities and also the freedom.

He liked:
Hanging out in the stack and sports deck
organized games (boys vs girls trivia type games)
the kids on their own had a 'pizza party' one night poolside, with pizzas from Pinnocchio's
Teen "Wild Side" excursion on Castaway Cay - snorkling, biking, kayaking
pool table, ping pong, and other stuff with the teens at Castaway Cay

He'd make some friends, they'd go to lunch every day, etc. He's not rowdy; is more on the serious side too.

Take a look at the Teen itinerary on some recent Navigators to see if he'd enjoy the planned activities - Good Luck!:thumbsup2

My DD didn't care for the Lab programming (old programming, before OQ), but as soon as she was a teen, she LOVED the programming in The Stack.

The Magic is her all time favorite vacation. Tons for teens to do....and they all seem to love it.

I myself am i teen and i have a blast on the Disney Magic!
There are so many different things to do. I am sure he will have fun! :)

I know that my DS 6 will love the cruise, but I have a DS 13 that is very mature. Will there be things that he will enjoy & keep him entertained?

Which ship?:confused3

If you are sailing on the Magic, your son would be in Ocean Quest and not the Stack.
The Wonder does not have Ocean Quest, yet, so a 13 year old could go to the Stack there.

I've sailed at ages 12, 15 & 17. I've never gone to any of the clubs. I mostly hang around my parents. I still have a blast! There's so much to do and I've never been interested in any of the club activities. I'm confident he'll have an awesome time.

My DS is 14 and he has a blast. He brings his own basketball and pretty much that's where you can find him all day long - he made a ton of friends on the bball court, and even hung out with them on Castaway cay. If your son is not into sports, there's also the teen club on the Wonder, Aloft, and the arcade. Both my DS and my DD11 have never been bored on the ship - even if they come to visit my DH and I in Diversions enjoying an afternoon cocktail. They have Wii challenges in there, a ton of board games, and the staff is just so welcoming.

We were on the Magic two weeks ago and my DD15 and DD13 had a great time in the Stack. The counselors did not mind that DD13 was there with her sister. We had a group of 7 teens that really enjoyed hanging out there with other kids they met from all over. Make sure your DD or DS goes on the first night of your cruise so they can be involved in all the planning for the week. My kids really enjoyed that part. They were involved in all sorts of events throughout the week. If your 13 year old is more mature, let them check it out.

We were on the Magic two weeks ago and my DD15 and DD13 had a great time in the Stack. The counselors did not mind that DD13 was there with her sister. We had a group of 7 teens that really enjoyed hanging out there with other kids they met from all over. Make sure your DD or DS goes on the first night of your cruise so they can be involved in all the planning for the week. My kids really enjoyed that part. They were involved in all sorts of events throughout the week. If your 13 year old is more mature, let them check it out.

Do you think if your older DD was not there, the counselors would have aloud her to hang out there? I know this is much discussed topic, but we are getting closer & was just curious to hear from someone who was on the ship recently.
TIA,
Paula

Our DS14 isn’t as outgoing as a lot of kids, but he loves cruising and everything Disney. When we sailed the Wonder in 07, he was just at the age between the younger and older programs. He chose to spend most of his time with us and we decided to take in a number of the family activities and games. We all had a ball! It still ranks as one of his favorite trips. One of these days he’ll be too old to be hanging around mom and dad, but for now he still thinks were pretty cool (go figure:cool1:). That’s one reason why were heading out again in July. Actually, it’s a surprise for our son who still doesn’t know were going. We’ll tell him on his birthday in a few weeks. Then we’ll all be counting down the days.

Do you think if your older DD was not there, the counselors would have aloud her to hang out there? I know this is much discussed topic, but we are getting closer & was just curious to hear from someone who was on the ship recently.
TIA,
Paula

The counselors never asked any of the kids their ages. We had two that were 15, two that were 14 and three that were 13. (All girls and one boy). I really don't know if they would have let the younger kids in without the older ones. When our group booked the cruise over a year ago, the minimum age for the Stack was 13. When they changed it, we were upset for the 13 year olds, but it all worked out. They had a great time.

The counselors never asked any of the kids their ages. We had two that were 15, two that were 14 and three that were 13. (All girls and one boy). I really don't know if they would have let the younger kids in without the older ones. When our group booked the cruise over a year ago, the minimum age for the Stack was 13. When they changed it, we were upset for the 13 year olds, but it all worked out. They had a great time.

Us too! That is why I asked if they would make a fuss. My DD thought she was able to go to the stack, then they changed the age. Guess I'm going to quit worring about it & see what happens. Thanks for the info! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter