• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there anything I can spray on a rug to keep our dog from urinating on it? Pic # 10

lucyanna girl

<font color=blue>My hair looks like Tigger spit ou
Hes not a puppy, almost two years old. An Applehead Chihuahua.

Jack is small, a little over four lbs. He HATES the outside, won't even think of doing his business there. We have always had to use puppy pads for him.

I just got new living room furniture and would love to put a large area rug down on our hardwood floors before winter. We live in an older home built up off the ground. Fuel oil will be expensive this winter and I would like to have a nice warm rug.

My problem is, Jack thinks any size rug or carpet is a big ole puppy pad. I have tried showing a "dog spill" to him and telling him no, even gently tapping his nose, but he still does it.

Currently, I have keep the door shut to any room with an area rug. This would be almost impossible with the living room.

Any suggestions? Is there any safe spray that would deter him?

Thanks.

Penny

Sorry no advise I know of - I know natures mircle works well and suppose to remove the odor so they dont' go in that spot again..

My lovely 2 yr old lahasapoo goes #2 in front of our toliet... I think I need to get her steps... I can't break that habit either..

I would suggest crate training the dog. The pup should absolutely NOT be out of the crate unnatended, even if that means attaching the dog's leash to your belt while it's out of the crate. Do NOT let it do it's business anywhere but outside or on it's pads until you are completely sure it has learned. Personally I hate pads, as some dogs get confused because of using them, as you've found out.

Jack is small, a little over four lbs. He HATES the outside, won't even think of doing his business there. We have always had to use puppy pads for him.

Have you tried a litter box? If you really want him to "go inside", I might put a serious effort into training him to go there.

However it requires the usual puppy training of no free roam, leashed to you in the house and crating when he cannot be leashed to you.

I would train him to go outside and use a litter box. It requires alot of time a patience. And your dog cannot be allowed to be free in your home until he is trained.

Decide what you want and make him do it. We did train a dog out of going on the carpet but it did take time.:thumbsup2

BTW-I wanted to add, we have a little chihuahua about 4lbs too! And yes, they are stubborn little things. Both of our other dogs passed their Puppy and basic training classes at the top of their classes but our little chihuahua was 23rd in the class out of 27. When I asked the instructor if the little one was really smart or really stupid she replied, "Cynthia, it isn't the dog..."
In other words, I just couldn't be as firm with ChootChoots as I was with my other, bigger dogs.

choot.jpg

This is our Chootchoots. (that's Russian for "just a little bit")

The foster mom for my dog paper trained him before I got him and he would do the same thing to any rugs. I did the leash to my belt thing too and would take him out every hour (I telecommute) to give him opportunity to go. They naturally won't want to go in where they live, so you have to gradually expand that. After leashing him to me, I gave him my office as his space, then the top floor, then the top floor and the middle floor etc until he recognized the whole house as his living area and would only want to go outside. I also crated him when I was out of the house.

I believe there is something you can buy. I saw it at Pet Smart, but I can't remember the name of it. We have an indoor cat who, although he's trained, sometimes urinates on the carpet near a window if there's something outside. I read that he's doing it to "mark his territory" (although he's neutered). Well, we don't care why he does it, we just want him to stop urinating on the carpet! So try Pet Smart.

There is a product called Bitter Apple that they sell at PetSmart. It works to stop chewing as the dog doesn't like the taste. I imagine it could also work for the rug problem.

Our vet is a firm believer in crates for training dogs. He also suggested getting a long leash and using that while inside until the puppy learned what they could and could not do in the house. It worked very well for us! I used one of those longer tie out rope leashes that we cut down to about 10 feet. The dog could go in any direction and as long as the leash was, which worked to keep her out of my dining room, living room, bathroom, library, kitchen and part of the great room.

The other dogs have free reign of the house as they are older and more just like rugs themselves!! :laughing:

We had a min pin who peed on the carpet, now and then, her entire life - I'll never get another little dog!:confused:

OH I LOVE YOUR DOGS!! Those are the cutest things. Maybe he's peeing though because he is protesting that hat!:rotfl2:
Actually I just watched an episode of the dog or me on animal planet with a bunch of peeing chihuahuas. They really scrubbed down the area first-- to eliminate the marking areas. I wish I could remember the rest- but it was eliminating that smell that impacted the dogs- I think it was just a take them out every hour then start stretching it out longer. But I could be wrong.

MORE CHIHUAHUA PHOTOS PLEASE!

HE is absolutely adorable!

I have the same problem with my 1 year old yorkie. She is smart and was trained to use her pads without fail. Until we moved around some things in the house and gave her a bit more freedom. She was raised on a carpet, but always used her pad. Now, she thinks she can't go on anything that doesn'y have a carpet. If we gate her in our living room, she'll use her pad. Without the gate, she heads to the hallway outside th bathroom (I guess she knows what goes on in there). I know she doesn't like to "go" in front of us and she has even pooped on a small scatter rug in the kitchen and once when all else was blocked- the couch:scared1: :scared1: Now we just keep her gated in the living room. I would love for her to go outside, but she has held her urine for over 16 hours and not pooped in 2 days to avoid doing it outside. We plan on getting a Bichon next Spring and maybe when we train the new puppy outside she will learn a little something too.

I haven't seen anything that makes them avoid peeing somewhere, just a spray to encourage them to do it in a particular place.

I would love for her to go outside, but she has held her urine for over 16 hours and not pooped in 2 days to avoid doing it outside. We plan on getting a Bichon next Spring and maybe when we train the new puppy outside she will learn a little something too.

Retrain the dog with the Bichon.:thumbsup2

We had to move into an apartment and our 2 dogs HAVE TO go on the leash.
Well we knew we would have a challenge with one of our dogs. We have big dogs and wee-wee pads are not an option.;)

Butters held urine for 24hrs and didn't poop for 2 days.
I called the vet and she said he will go, just keep at it.

Well since there is no option of a backyard, he did finally go. And now it has been almost 6 months.

It was rough at first. You just have to committ to it. :thumbsup2
He was either crated or on a leash outside until he went.

It is simple, you just can't cave in.:lmao:

:rotfl2: OH I love the barbie car He is so stinking tiny and adorable. I think I could put up with the pee.
Or maybe not.

Oh God our dog was ruined by the pee pads. He just peed on any plastic bags or newspapers were brought in the house. It never freaking ended no matter what we did. I would never use them again. I think the other problem with tiny dogs is it isn't so obvious when they go, sometimes you just don't catch it and it's not like they pee a lot. I like the leash/crating idea.

Oh wait I remember another thing from the show- she added that they were being given water all day long- constantly-- so they were drinking way too much. She said something along the lines of a bladder the size of a jelly bean?:confused3 And what goes in must come out and generally very quickly. So after a drink get them outside. See the memory works just a little SLOOOOOWWWLLLLY

I trained my chi-chi to use a litter box and dog litter, the Purina Second nature stuff. I get it at Pet Smart.

I can now leave him alone for even two days, and he will go in that box, in the litter. I never worry about him making a mistake , I can totally trust him.

Just took time, and patience, and little tiny treats that he ONLY gets when he goes in his "potty".

Of course, he LOVES to pee outside, he tries to put some on every mailbox on the street! But if its late at night, or really cold or rainy, or we are not home, he goes in his box.

He was about 1.5 lbs when I got him, now he is about 13 lbs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter