• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there an unofficial guide?

I'm not nervous about finding things to do in Universal with a toddler as the last time we went we had a 3 year old and a 10 month old and had no problem staying entertained! I don't love Universal as much as Disney because they didn't treat the handicap as nicely (me) but it was still enjoyable

I'm sorry to hear that. What did they do/not do?

Keep in mind my last visit was five year's ago but my handicap remark was in reference to feeling like I was a burden to the castmembers. I believe one of them actually made a face when I asked about accessible seating in one of the show areas. The other problem we had was not enough employees working when we went. All being said, I did really enjoy Universal and that's why we are going back.

The handicap treatment is the only comparison I would make between Universal and Disney. They just can't be compared as both are great in their own way. Although, with every trip to Disney I find they are less accomodating to the handicap as well. The one exception is they seem to be nicer (Disney) if they believe you are really handicap.

Just stop by Guest Services when you get to the parks and let them know what kind of accomadations you need to make your trip enjoyable.

Gee, that's too bad. My impression has always been that Universal does a superb job in welcoming guests with a wide variety of challenges.

I am especially impressed that so many employees in customer-contact roles have disabilities of one sort or another.

We picked up Kelly's book and it was the perfect supplement to this forum in planning our trip. I also liked the fact that I could throw it in my backpack and have it with me if I needed a reference in the parks. For $15 or so, I recommend it strongly.

If I were to have any quibble with Kelly's book -- and it's very minor -- it's that I don't think I read one negative comment about the whole Universal experience. Now I thought the parks were great, and even though I didn't stay on-site, the hotels looked great, and based on the FOTL privilege I won't make that mistake again. That said, there's got to be SOMETHING about the Universal experience that's not entirely peachy-keen, right? Granted, I didn't come across much in the way of negative during my visit, but . . .

I'm probably just accustomed to Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide for Disney. One aspect of that publication I enjoy when planning a Disney trip is that many (not all) of the opinions are pretty unvarnished, and if something stinks, they say so.

If I were to have any quibble with Kelly's book -- and it's very minor -- it's that I don't think I read one negative comment about the whole Universal experience. Now I thought the parks were great, and even though I didn't stay on-site, the hotels looked great, and based on the FOTL privilege I won't make that mistake again. That said, there's got to be SOMETHING about the Universal experience that's not entirely peachy-keen, right? Granted, I didn't come across much in the way of negative during my visit, but .

in the 7 or so trips we've made to US/IOA the only bad experience we've ever had is with the HRH. We complained, got 2 free nights to return and had problems again. I'll never return. However we've stayed at RPR 3 times I believe, and have always had wonderful experiences.
Never had a bad experience in the parks other than bad meals at monster cafe and mels

A tip of the hat to the folks who said nice things about my book!

We got your book Kelly. Not only is it very, very informitive, but funny as well. Thank you for your wonderfull book, I recommend everyone get it. If your only visting one day or one week. It is very helpfull!!!!

I just ordered my copy. Can't wait to read it (even if it'll practiacally be '09 when I go on my trip).

A tip of the hat to the folks who said nice things about my book!

They just sold me on it! My Amazon order is confirmed. Can't wait to start planning the next trip and making a list of all the fun stuff we missed last time. :banana: :banana: :cool1: :cool1: We'll be staying a little longer this next trip so we can soak up as much as possible.

Another vote for Kelly!! From the UK, got our 2008 copy on Amazon too. Nice to have the ride by ride breakdown and loads of tips and the "chatty" nature of the book really appeals. Love the midi-paperback format too - easy to hold and read on a plane... Will let you know if it helps!! USO on Monday!!! IOA on Thursday!! Palpitations have started....

Tessa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter