Is there an epidemic of kids falling off of verandah balconies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenpensacola

<font color=red>Sometimes I sits and thinks, and s
From reading posts on this board through the years, you'd think that kids must be falling off the Disney ships by the dozens every day...:confused3

Just don't understand the fear that folks have about their kids falling from the ship?

Do your kids routinely climb over barricades next to obvious precipices?

Relax folks, your kids will be ok. The verandah is not a scary monster, trying to lure your kids over the edge with a bag of candy...

:grouphug:

FWIW, I have never been in a verandah room and I had a vision of a regular sliding patio door, which my daughter can open. She is also good at taking the door knob locks off of my door knobs so she can open the doors, and she climbs over baby gates. Pretty much if there is an obstacle, she gets around it. It's good to know she will not be able to unlock the door. I also have anxiety issues and now that I don't have to worry about her falling off of the verandah, I will probably find something else to worry about.

From reading posts on this board through the years, you'd think that kids must be falling off the Disney ships by the dozens every day...:confused3

Just don't understand the fear that folks have about their kids falling from the ship?

Relax folks, your kids will be ok. The verandah is not a scary monster, trying to lure your kids over the edge with a bag of candy...

:thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Wow, did you wake up today and wonder how you could randomly insult people?
I'm just wondering why ao many people on here want to be mean?
BTW- not at all afraid of it, but I couldn't care less if someone else chooses to be!

I can honestly understand concern from someone who has never seen a DCL ship up close.

You picture a patio door type opening (what you actually have is a very heavy door with a lock that is adult shoulder height.) If you look closely, you see white metal railings which look like they could be climbed; in reality you have a sheet of plexiglass inside that railing and no way to get a foothold.

Parents worry--that's their job. Asking questions and getting answers is what the board is for.:confused3 What amazes me is that if I take a break from the boards for 3-6 months and come back on, the questions and discussions are still the same!

I can complete relate to people asking about the balcony access issue with small children. I was concerned about this when my twins were toddlers and it remains something we talk about as a safety issue with them to this day. My husband and I were out on our Dream concierge balcony one morning and looked down and over to see a young boy standing up on something (not sure if it was a chair or a small table) right near the railing (we were in a concierge bumpout room) so our perspective was unique. Before we could start yelling a parent came into view and grabbed the child away from the perch. It happened so fast and scared us.

Now that we've been on a few cruises, we understand how the upper door lock works. Yes, the balcony door is heavy too (so much so that I have trouble opening it sometimes). But couldn't really even picture the whole balcony door situation until we actually tried it for ourselves. So I say, let parents and grandparents ask away about this issue.

I think it's safe to say this question is coming from first time cruisers, and its a reasonable question to me. I would hope parents would be concerned about such things. What's the harm in asking a question? Geez...

I think it's safe to say this question is coming from first time cruisers, and its a reasonable question to me. I would hope parents would be concerned about such things. What's the harm in asking a question? Geez...

Or first time verandah-users. Our first cruise was in an Oceanview. I knew about the plexiglass on the railings, but from all the other photos I had seen, it looked like the lock and handle where well within a small child's reach. The photo posted above clearly shows the lock is high enough to be safe. Of course I figured that there had to be safety precautions, but when I get stuck on something I get stuck on it.

I think the balconies are safe, but definitely require parent supervision. The lock is up very high.

If the child is out on the balcony, they could climb on furniture. Also, I was surprised how big the gap was at the bottom of the plexiglas. I was not expecting there to be a gap there at all (just didn't, but it makes sense that they need a gap).

I hear you, OP! I guess I just think to myself a) is there some child flinging thing I've been missing and b) since I'm a worrier myself, I personally wouldn't bother really asking "strangers" about something that I personally would still worry about! Cause if that were something I worried about, I imagine I still would worry! :goodvibes

It's just one of those questions that comes up frequent and strikes some as odd I guess. :thumbsup2

I watched Titanic this weekend, and I will admit that I couldn't help but look at the deck railings and think, wow, it would be really easy to fall off of there if one was being silly and climbing up on it!

But I don't have such concerns on the Disney ships. Yes, my kids are short, and when presented with a solid wall verandah, if there is a table or chair nearby, they will probably try to push it to the railing so they can stand on it to get a better view. But that's why we don't let them out on verandahs by themselves without us.

I was worried too. We had the "both feet on the ground" discussion before we even left home. Once Onboard, I didn't worry at all. Then again, my 9 year old doesn't climb on anything other than a jungle gym at the park.

I just informed my mom this morning of the Kids Sail Free Jan. 2012 cruise that I want to go on with my nephew and my daughter and her. The FIRST thing she worried about was the verandah and my nephew climbing on the rail.

It is true, she also thought he could push open a patio like door and get out there whenever he wanted. Same as others, I could hardly open the darn door.

Isn't this is what the boards are for. And as experienced cruisers we should be patient with newbies and help them out. Even if the question has been asked and answered. :grouphug:

Those who can't understand the paranoia may not have had children who attempted to run into traffic several times in toddlerhood or climb up and over anything without looking. Some kids are just like that and they move fast. It made me a way more paranoid parent than I ever thought I'd be. If I was traveling with my son at 2 there's no way I'd book a veranda. At 4 I'm still hesitant. The navigator's verandas seem worse because you can't move the objects or furniture that little feet can step on out of the way. Maybe parents who are comfortable booking verandas don't have children who've scared them on several occasions or have easier, less active children? Or they just don't worry. I think it's a legitimate question and I don't see why anyone would be annoyed by it.

4b1935c6.jpg

It is true, she also thought he could push open a patio like door and get out there whenever he wanted. Same as others, I could hardly open the darn door.

It took both the room service steward and me at least 30 seconds to figure out the top lock and open the door to the verandah.

We have sliding glass doors with a different type top lock in our condo community for both the patio and balcony in our units. I have not heard of anyone's child falling off a balcony. Though, the fire department was called when two toddlers locked their mother in the master bedroom with the child safety locks on the doorknob. :rolleyes1

I can complete relate to people asking about the balcony access issue with small children. I was concerned about this when my twins were toddlers and it remains something we talk about as a safety issue with them to this day. My husband and I were out on our Dream concierge balcony one morning and looked down and over to see a young boy standing up on something (not sure if it was a chair or a small table) right near the railing (we were in a concierge bumpout room) so our perspective was unique. Before we could start yelling a parent came into view and grabbed the child away from the perch. It happened so fast and scared us.

Now that we've been on a few cruises, we understand how the upper door lock works. Yes, the balcony door is heavy too (so much so that I have trouble opening it sometimes). But couldn't really even picture the whole balcony door situation until we actually tried it for ourselves. So I say, let parents and grandparents ask away about this issue.

My husband saw the same thing from our balcony and it scared him too! I had trouble opening the door myself, so if left open it could be possible, but even closed and unlocked, the door is pretty much toddler/kid proof.

It's funny, I used to think that the DIS boards existed as a means to exchange information and get answers about all things Disney (and then some). I was not aware that there were rules and regulations about what questions people are allowed and not allowed to ask.

It's funny, I used to think that the DIS boards existed as a means to exchange information and get answers about all things Disney (and then some). I was not aware that there were rules and regulations about what questions people are allowed and not allowed to ask.

I've noticed mean spiritedness in several comments lately. Yes, sometimes I think a question is redundant, often asked or silly, but why would I waste time being mean about it? I agree, the DIS boards are for people to get info, not criticized for thier questions.

umm.. I think its only natural for parents with young children to worry about balconies. It may not have happened on a cruise, but it does seem to happen on land occasionally. I would be more concerned about the parents that don't worry about such things. Why criticize parents that are concerned about their childs safety. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter