• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there an Disney package that does NOT include hotel?

You're on the WDW forum... what can we say other than WDW is twice as good as Universal Orlando. :)

One reason the Universal ticket is more expensive is that you are looking for park hopping. One park, one day tickets would be closer to the same price.

One reason the Universal ticket is more expensive is that you are looking for park hopping. One park, one day tickets would be closer to the same price.

Universal is NOT more expensive - that's what the OP asked - why is 1/2 the price of Disney?

Universal has half the number of parks Disney has. If you're looking at multi-day park hopping tickets, that's where the deals are; there are barely any deals for one or two days. Universal would love to get you away from Disney for multiple days.

In spite of the price difference, I'm pretty sure we're going Disney. As I said, I got burned out on Disney and now I'm somewhat burned out on Universal. I'm already getting lodging free and dining doesn't have to be 4 star so I'll just suck it up on the tickets.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Are the disney packages so good that I should stay on property? Obviously it would make things easier.

Or am I better off keeping my lodging, getting brokered tickets and eating off property?

Krisko: You can keep your lodging, get brokered tickets and still eat on property, just not through the dining plan. You will pay out of pocket for meals.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Are the disney packages so good that I should stay on property? Obviously it would make things easier.

Or am I better off keeping my lodging, getting brokered tickets and eating off property?

Disney packages are basically list price. No real deals or benefits from having a package. You get a few freebies, luggage tags, maybe a round of mini golf, a few tour discounts, but thats about it.

Regarding the dining plan, it doesn't work for everyone. You basically just pre pay for your meals. The supposed discounts Disney mentioned only materialize if you eat the most expensive meals on property. Otherwise you may end up paying more for the dining plan than if you paid a la carte. Will your family always eat the prescribed meals? Always eat the desert? Will they ever share? Or will you ever eat off property? Especially if you are thinking of staying off property I highly doubt you would end up saving money from the dining plan.

Eating off property will almost always be cheaper, but you don't need the dining plan to eat in the parks. If you can go from when you enter the park til when you leave without eating, especially if you are going during a time period when the parks close earlier, then eating off site makes sense. But the two hours or so it may take to drive off property, eat, and get back to the park may be better off just eating in park. It all depends on your touring style.

That 'undercover' site is pretty helpful...I'm liking that kid's eat free card and the ticket prices are reasonable.

Why is it that Universal is literally half price of disney? I really like Universal but wanted to go back to WDW just because we haven't been there in a long time.

Compare one day tickets. Basically the same thing. Universal knows that most people come to Orlando for WDW. (Even since they opened WWoHP) So if they can get you to stay for multiple days, they are ecstatic. The same way how extra day WDW tickets get cheaper the longer you stay, the same thing applies. Since they only have 2 parks, (and you can do a single park in a single day) many people don't see a need to stay more than 2 days. WDW has 4 parks, and many people take multiple days to do the same park so they know you will very likely stay longer.

If you have free lodging offsite, you probably won't be able to beat that price. Eating breakfast in your condo/house, maybe even making sandwiches to bring to the park, you still come out ahead even if you eat dinner in the park.

So are we allowed to bring food and drink into the Disney parks? I just assumed it was forbidden.

You can bring food and drink into the parks, but no glass bottles or containers (except baby food).

You also can eat at any Disney table service or quick service restaurant. You do not need the dining plan to eat at a Disney park or resort.

If you are planning to eat at a table service restaurant, you need to make your ADRs (reservations) now. You are going during a popular week that is less than 60 days from now.

You're not supposed to bring full size, hard sided or wheeled coolers into the parks either. Or alcoholic beverages.

The dining plan is just a method of prepaying for meals. WDW park/resort restaurants are NOT restricted to guests on the dining plan, but you would still need a reservation for full service restaurants.

You've already gotten a lot of advice, and I agree that you should keep your off-site free lodging instead of getting a package and stayin on-site. We always stay with friends who live in Kissimmee (free lodging!) and pay out of pocket for the meals we choose to eat in the parks.

I did notice that you will be there over President's Day weekend and the following week in February. Just be aware of the fact that it will be VERY crowded and busy that week....and the weather is pretty unpredictable. If you have any way to push your trip back even just one week (to the beginning of March), you will have much better luck with lower crowds.

I also agree with whoever mentioned that you might want to start looking at ADR's now. You can book most restaurant reservations online through the WDW official website and there is no charge.

Above all, have fun! Free lodging is definitely the way to go! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter