Is there a wheelchair section for Illuminations?

Music Mom

Spreading Pixie Dust Everywhere
Last time we went to Epcot, we sat at the outdoor Mexican restaurant and got our view of Illuminations completely blocked. My mom was in a wheelchair and people would not move even though we were as close as possible to the water. Is there a designated wheelchair section for Illuminations? If not, where can we go so that my mom can see this time? Thanks!

I think there is a designated area somewhere between Canada and UK, but am not sure of the exact location because I've never used it.

Personally, in my ECV I will get to the fence on the Norway side of Mexico about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes before IllumiNations and wait there. People with me will either stay next tot me or stand directly behind me.

I only once had a problem; that was this past January when I got to that area it was deserted so my nephew and I went on Malmstrom, when we came back the area was packed with a Brazilian tour group. However, without my asking, they saw me in my ECV and opened up a space for me to get to the fence.

There are three or four wheelchair areas for viewing Illuminations. They are marked on the map with a little wheelchair symbol. I've tried the UK one, but the trees block your view of some of the higher stuff. I've heard that the one between the two entrances to the Showcase from Future World has a very good view.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I am so encouraged to find out this info so that my mom can see Illuminations!

It has been a while since I have been with people using wheelchairs, but when I went with a group of 4 people in chairs, we sat on the Future part, (think backs to the entrance to EPCOT) and we were right on the water with no obstructed view.

Having done this too many times to count, I find the best viewing area in an ECV is the bridge between UK and France..........IMHO...Hope this helps........I agree though, there are several handicapped locations all around the lake; and they are noted on the brochure...........

The handicapped viewing areas for Illuminations are marked on the park maps.
We seldom use them though because they can become very crowded (wheelchairs parked right next to each other) and DD doesn't so well with people so close. You may need to get there quite early and stay parked (also not something DD can do).
Plus, one time, we didn't check the wind direction first and all the smoke seemed to be blowing toward us once the show started.

If you park the wheelchair along the fence anywhere along World Showcase waterway, you will not have a problem. Look for the barges parked in the water; if you have a good view of those, you will have a good view of the show.

Right at the entrance of world showcase at the lake between the 2 gift shops are 2 accessible viewing areas. We just returned last week and that's where we were, Great view!!!!!!!!
Deb

I think there is a designated area somewhere between Canada and UK, but am not sure of the exact location because I've never used it.

Personally, in my ECV I will get to the fence on the Norway side of Mexico about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes before IllumiNations and wait there. People with me will either stay next tot me or stand directly behind me.

I only once had a problem; that was this past January when I got to that area it was deserted so my nephew and I went on Malmstrom, when we came back the area was packed with a Brazilian tour group. However, without my asking, they saw me in my ECV and opened up a space for me to get to the fence.

Sorry for OT, but i think it was there when you were. We went the 18 - 29, so I think we saw illuminations on the 25th, but we were also on the norway side of mexico, and the brazilian tour group was right in front of us.....

Probably a dumb question, but would the "stroller as wheelchair" tag get my daughter into the wheelchair section?

Not a dumb question, and yes it should (but not necessarily if you go running up at the last minute, expecting everyone else to make room - but that holds true of ANY Guest wanting to see ANY parade, show, or display :teeth: )

Thanks for your answer! No, we're not last minute people. We tend to stake out a spot well in advance, only to have some rude person or persons elbow their way in front of us and stand in front of my daughter's stroller. We're now getting her a special needs stroller, since she's outgrown the kiddie one, and plan to get a "stroller as wheelchair" tag. We're hoping people will be more polite in the wheelchair section!

Mostly they will, especially since wheelchairs (and strollers as wheelchairs, of course) get the front row. If at all possible - if the stroller has a brake or you can finagle something - place the front wheels of the stroller RIGHT on the edge of the curb. People, kids especially, will try to sit in front of your daughter and the other wheelchair Guests. The CMs are really good about preventing that, but it doesn't hurt to be as proactive as possible.

We have gone in the handicap section at the beginning of world showcase, it's a great spot. My ds has a disability but he's not in a wheel chair we could never stake out a spot and get him to wait. We stood in the back behind the wheelchairs just before the fireworks started. We had a good view and did'nt block anyone elses.

Probably a dumb question, but would the "stroller as wheelchair" tag get my daughter into the wheelchair section?

Yes we always use a stroller for my DD and get the pass from guest services. We were allowed to park her in the handicapped section. But we did make the mistake and went to the area near Canada and the trees were a problem.

I'm trying to remember which Hp viewing spot that needs to have the trees trimmed back. I'm thinking it is closer to the IG. Unless you were right on top of the fence the view was blocked by the tree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter