• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a way to request having a certain kind of family to have as tablemates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
Last time we went, our tablemates not only never showed up but we found out that they had a young daughter instead of a son. We have a 7 year old boy and we know that he would have enjoyed meeting a new friend at our table. Is there a way to request being assigned to a table with boys our son's age? I know we can't do anything about the family not showing up :confused3

I sent a request through my TA for a table with more than one family and ended up getting a table of 4 single parents like me. I am not sure how much they listen to the request and how detailed your request can be. My TA told me if I did not ask I could not get.

My group of 3 single women requested a table of adults on the Fantasy and we got a British family of 5 with an infant. And they were UPSET. They did not want to sit with us. They got moved.

I know that in general they try to put like groups together so they might match you up with someone who has children, but they might actually not be capable of determining if the children are girls or boys...haven't seen anyone else try to make that kind of request.

The only way to have this happen IMO is to do it yourself through the meet thread. It has worked for us all but one time and we are still friends with DISers we met that way. We have cruised with both families several times each and get together at our homes. The only problem with this our family's friends are spread out across the country and we don't get to see each other nearly as often as the kids would like.

can always try, there is no guarantee. The issue of them never showing up is something Disney can't control.

My group of 3 single women requested a table of adults on the Fantasy and we got a British family of 5 with an infant. And they were UPSET. They did not want to sit with us. They got moved.

Wow. This is disappointing -- and surprising. Even without the "special request," you'd think DCL would have put you and your friends with more similar tablemates! We decided to roll the dice and see what happens, but this has me a little concerned...

Our first time on DCL, it was just the 4 of us (DH, DD, DS & me) at the table. 2nd time we had extended family so it was just our group of 7. I just assumed that our upcoming May 2013 cruise would be the same and consist of our table of 4. I'm beginning to think that may not be the case??

Our first time on DCL, it was just the 4 of us (DH, DD, DS & me) at the table. 2nd time we had extended family so it was just our group of 7. I just assumed that our upcoming May 2013 cruise would be the same and consist of our table of 4. I'm beginning to think that may not be the case??

Not necessarily unless you request a table for 4 (and not guaranteed then). DCL has 4-tops, 6-tops and 8-tops. Most likely you'll be at a 4-top with just your family or an 8-top with another family of 4, likely with similar-aged kids.

OP if you want something, it never hurts to put in a request. Just don't expect that "request" to be "guaranteed." In our experience, DCL does try hard to match up table mates, but I'm sure there are times it isn't the best.

Enjoy your cruises!

On our first cruise we were on our honeymoon and were assigned to a table with two more honeymooners. It was awesome! We had a great time at each meal:cool1: This is why we were bummed when we didnt get a perfect match last time :(

We went on the Dream last month and I asked hubby if he wanted a table for ourselves or just go with the flow and see who we wound up with. We decided to roll with it. We were quite happy with our tablemates...we were seated with 2 other couples and 2 friends. We all got along great!!!

But, it is never a guarantee that you will be with liked minded or similar tablemates...there is no way DCL can match up everyone perfectly and some will be disappointed in the end.

MJ

Last time we went, our tablemates not only never showed up but we found out that they had a young daughter instead of a son. We have a 7 year old boy and we know that he would have enjoyed meeting a new friend at our table. Is there a way to request being assigned to a table with boys our son's age? I know we can't do anything about the family not showing up :confused3

I would encourage my child to make friends with whoever is at the table, regardless of gender. :)

I would encourage my child to make friends with whoever is at the table, regardless of gender. :)

Well that's not the point. My son is very sociable and makes friends easily but at his age he prefers to play with boys rather than girls. Just as girls prefer to play with girls rather than boys. They have more in common. Not many girls are into spiderman, cars and cowboys like my son is into.

My husband and I have a 9 yo daughter and we were seated with another family that only had a 9 yo boy. They hit it off and spent the rest of the week hanging out together. I think they were both just happy to have someone to hang out with.

Just as girls prefer to play with girls rather than boys. They have more in common.

The playground at my daughter's school would beg to differ. While I would agree that some limited gender dynamics are probably based in fundamental biology, the majority of the social gender binary in the US is artificially created by the culture in which the kids live.

My husband and I have a 9 yo daughter and we were seated with another family that only had a 9 yo boy. They hit it off and spent the rest of the week hanging out together. I think they were both just happy to have someone to hang out with.

:thumbsup2

I am always surprised by this as we have taken eight cruises and never shared our table with anyone. Is this something you ask for or do they just do it? We also onlt take second seating so maybe there are fewer people at that time.

The playground at my daughter's school would beg to differ. While I would agree that some limited gender dynamics are probably based in fundamental biology, the majority of the social gender binary in the US is artificially created by the culture in which the kids live.

:thumbsup2:

My 7 year old daughters best friend is a little boy in her class. When two kids have Angry Birds and Star Wars in common gender doesn't seem to matter much. :)

After our cruise I became a believer in Disney's ability to match up table mates. Our family of four was seated with another family of four. Their kids were slightly older than mine and they never really got to talking all that much. Our first night together was a little awkward but by the last night we were among the last people to leave the restaurant because we were talking and having such a great time together. We even became facebook friends. I'm glad I didn't go through with my initial idea of requesting our own table.

jjje said:
My 7 year old daughters best friend is a little boy in her class. When two kids have Angry Birds and Star Wars in common gender doesn't seem to matter much. :)

Completely agree with this! My 9 yo son's best friend for the last couple years is a little girl in his class. But with them, it's Minecraft, Pokemon and baseball/softball! ;)

I am always surprised by this as we have taken eight cruises and never shared our table with anyone. Is this something you ask for or do they just do it? We also onlt take second seating so maybe there are fewer people at that time.

It may have to do with size of your party. Or if you sail Concierge. Concierge always gets their own table, unless they request otherwise.

Our first 3 cruises (just DH & I) we were seated at an 8 top, an 8 top, and a 6 top, all with other couples within 5-6 years of our age range.

Our next cruise (5 of us) we had our own 6 top.

Next, (3 of us - DH, me, DS19), we were seated at an 8 top with a mom, her DD15, DS16, DD 20, and DGS3.

And our last cruise (6 of us, all adult couples) had our own table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter