Is there a way to avoid having your childs height checked at every ride?

I also think that ticket pricing should be based on this as well. Obviously the shorter children will not get to ride as many rides so a childrens ticket should be split between tall enough to ride everything but under 12 years old and to short to ride everything but under 12 years old.
Wouldn't work. In that group, you'd have the "tall enough to ride everything but under twelve but doesn't want to ride ___, ___, or ___"; then there'd be the "over twelve but won't or can't ride ___, ___, ___, and ___, so why charge that person the same as someone who WILL ride everything", and "tall enough to ride everything but any age but the park was so crowded we only got to go on four rides"...

Just an idea...Maybe find good shoes with soles that are a bit thicker than the crocs would be. I know that my Sketchers put me up a bit higher, and I think that they tend to be the thickest looking sole. Might put him up where it won't vary from ride to ride.

I never wanted our DD's to ride if they were truly not tall enough. I never tried or wanted to "pump up" shoes, etc. That just seems dangerous.
We've always known their height, and are also aware of height restrictions, so we just handled the rides accordingly.

I never wanted our DD's to ride if they were truly not tall enough. I never tried or wanted to "pump up" shoes, etc. That just seems dangerous.
We've always known their height, and are also aware of height restrictions, so we just handled the rides accordingly.

Spoken like a true & responsible parent!

I 100% agree with you. If my kids didn't make the height requirements, they didn't meet them. The requirements are there for a reason and I always felt like it would be unsafe to stuff their shoes with tissues, etc.

I've always prepared them that they may not be tall enough for such and such ride. One time, my son was just a tad bit short for Space Mountain and the CM was terrific about it... he gave him 4 Fastpasses to ride whatever other ride he wanted. He felt even more special!

Sorry, but IMO putting on a pair of tennis shoes instead of crocs doesn't make it 'unsafe.' Should a new rule be put in place that all kids have to be measured with bare feet to make sure that the tennis shoes aren't giving them a .00047538 in height advantage? I don't think anyone is advocating trying to add several inches onto a kid's height here... I don't think the small fraction of an inch difference that changing shoes can make is going to make it cross over to the 'dangerous' range.

And I WISH that the way a parent chose to handle this situation was all that determined if a parent was 'true and responsible.':sad2:

My nephew was just over 41" last trip and he was measured and re-measured at every ride. Be prepared for measuring prior to getting in line and then again most of the time just before boarding. We told my nephew to "show the CM how tall you are" and made it a game, he was very proud of being tall enough. Remind the child to stand up straight but not on tip toes and stretch to the bar, some kids naturally shy away from the bar so you don't want that. They use and upside down L and if the head stops the L from moving over the child is tall enough.

They will ask you to remove hats and measure to the head not a ponytail and I have seen them ask for obviously high shoes to be removed. Two girls, one with sketchers and the other with platform sandels and a boy with heeleys.

TJ

On our last trip my toddler was *just* tall enough to go on Goofy's Barnstormer. The CM measured him, he only very barely made the height requirement, and so we all did a happy jig and went on the ride. :dance3: Even the CM celebrated with us. :banana: Like his older brother, it turned out that he LOVES roller coasters. It was a low volume day at the park, so as soon as we exited Goofy's Barnstormer we turned around and went right back through the entrance. The CM apparently didn't remember us (I'm sure it was the end of a long day for him... not that I'd expect any of them to remember any particular family) and he carefully measured DS again. Again he was just *barely* tall enough. We ended up riding SIX times in a row. :rolleyes: And every single time, DS was carefully measured to ensure that he was tall enough.

(By then I thought it was pretty strange that the CM didn't recognize us and/or just wave DS on by, as there was pretty much no line, so we were just walking through the queue area to hop on the next coaster each time ... but he didn't seem to, and/or he took his measuring job very seriously and wasn't going to be caught NOT measuring a child.)

True, except for one ride: Tomorrowland Speedway.

They have one height that allows kids to ride if there is a responsible older child or adult with them of a certain height. There is another height that allows kids to drive themselves.

The height requirements are there not because it's an estimation of the maturity of someone to handle certain rides. They're there strictly for the physical safety of the riders, due to the way the seats or the rides are constructed.

One example of a height requirement that is there only for physical and not mental reasons: the Dinosaur ride in AK. I think the requirement on that is a mere 36" or 38". Most kiddie rides are at the same height requirement. My DD, now almost 8 but then only 3, was about 40" tall, which was definitely physically "safe" for the seat structure on Dinosaur. However, I did not know, and DD certainly did not know, that Dinosaur may well be the scariest single ride (mentally) in all of WDW. It's extremely loud and intimidating, with lots of unexpected twists in the path. DD cried so hard afterward we had to buy one of the toy dinosaurs in the gift shop to placate her. :guilty:

To this day she will not ride Dinosaur. I can't blame her.

My DD who just turned 3 rode that last THursday 8/16. After she got off she said that wasn't scary.:rotfl: She said it was not real.

When we took our 3 year old niece not one CM measured her for any rides...she went on Soarin, BTRR, Maelstrom etc and no one ever said a thing.

why would someone suggest that buying higher heeled shoes for their child is a good idea?:confused3 The height restrictions are their for the safety of the child. It all has to do with the way the seats and lap bars are designed. Taller shoes aren't going to hold your child in on rides that have height restictions.

Please do what is best for your child, put them in shoes they can walk all day in around Disney World, and if they aren't tall enough to ride a ride, don't try to "trick" the CM's.

Put your childs safety first.

I don't think the small fraction of an inch difference that changing shoes can make is going to make it cross over to the 'dangerous' range.

And I WISH that the way a parent chose to handle this situation was all that determined if a parent was 'true and responsible.':sad2:

I don't think it would make a difference either, but then you nor I know that for a fact and it wouldn't be a chance I would be willing to take so my child could ride a ride. Why then did the CM at Space Mtn not allow my son admittance even though his hair was practically touching.... for his safety...if I had run back and then changed him into higher shoes, then it would be OK...not in my book. I do think that it is pretty "true and responsible" parenting.

why would someone suggest that buying higher heeled shoes for their child is a good idea?:confused3 The height restrictions are their for the safety of the child. It all has to do with the way the seats and lap bars are designed. Taller shoes aren't going to hold your child in on rides that have height restictions.

Please do what is best for your child, put them in shoes they can walk all day in around Disney World, and if they aren't tall enough to ride a ride, don't try to "trick" the CM's.

Absolutely! I just don't get it.

To All those who are high and mighty perfect parents....

The kids is on the cusp of a specific height. I simply suggested having him wear real shoes instead of sandals. They actually would be better for his health in the long term anyway. I don't think that him putting on real shoes will cause him to be thrown from a ride. It will ensure that he isn't going to get a yes from one CM and a no from another. Why should my kid with real shoes on get to ride a certain ride while this boy with sandals not get to ride it, when they may be the same height in their bare feet? Judge not......

To the OP, if the real shoes don't put your son at the perfect height, try stilts, or hide him under a poncho like others have tried.:scared1:

Also, if he is very close to the height they 'may' ask him to take off his crocs just so you know. They take it VERY seriously.

Disney does take the safety of your children seriously. However, shoes are required at all times inside the theme parks. CMs may not ask Guests to remove their shoes at any time for any reason.

When measuring smaller guests for attraction height checks, the guest must meet the height requirement while wearing unmodified shoes that a) obviously belong to that guest and b) are obviously the guest's primary footgear while inside the park. As long as those criteria are met, platform shoes, high heels, boots, and the like are permissible. Likewise, wheeled shoes are permissible as long as the shoe's wheels are removed or retracted.

This is Disney's policy. I do NOT agree with it, but I will enforce it.

I 100% agree with you. If my kids didn't make the height requirements, they didn't meet them. The requirements are there for a reason and I always felt like it would be unsafe to stuff their shoes with tissues, etc.

I've always prepared them that they may not be tall enough for such and such ride. One time, my son was just a tad bit short for Space Mountain and the CM was terrific about it... he gave him 4 Fastpasses to ride whatever other ride he wanted. He felt even more special!

Because we say this and agree with this, doesn't make us high and mighty parents, it makes us responible parents. Those who try to "cheat the system" aren't being the best parents you can be.

Because we say this and agree with this, doesn't make us high and mighty parents, it makes us responible parents. Those who try to "cheat the system" aren't being the best parents you can be.

However, they are often (though not always) the same parents who "forget" about a child's recent birthday when that birthday would put them in the paying category for admission tickets rather than free, or when a child's meal plan is cheaper than paying adult prices for a 10 year old, or decide that rules simply don't apply to their children because they may have to deal with Little Jimmy being told 'no' about something. I'm wondering where the line is drawn? When they grow up a little and learn to drive and decide the speed limit isn't fast enough, or when they want a trinket or toy in a store and don't have enough money and decide the price was just too high, so they take it anyway. When kids learn at a young age to skirt laws and rules/regulations, it's simply training them for later on. And, the old adage that they'll "do as you say, not as you do" works as well now as it did years ago - not at all.

Hm.... guess I'm high and mighty, too, I require my kids to follow the rules. Oh, and my 4 year old who measures 40 1/2" has already been forewarned that even though she may measure tall enough here, she may not get on some rides and that even if she can't ride a particular ride, we'll enjoy those she can ride. Managing expectations works wonders!

I don't think it would make a difference either, but then you nor I know that for a fact and it wouldn't be a chance I would be willing to take so my child could ride a ride.

You're right...we don't know that for sure. What I'm getting at is that I'm sure Disney accounted for these things. I'm sure they left a 'window' to account for the fact that some shorter kids are going to slip by.

IMHO if you want to go by the lapbar then maybe height restriction should be from the butt up.

Remember too that you may have more than one CM on a ride checking how tall your son is. One right when you approach a ride, and one right before you board. I have heard of children being turned away by the CM at the loading area, even after being allowed thru by the first CM. So if you son is a little short, you might want to find some way to prepare him in case he is turned away.

And yes, if you put a shoe with an obviously high heel/sole on your son, he could be asked to take them off. So I would just stick with the crocs and hope for the best.

We saw a young girl get denied at the boarding station for Space Mtn. Even from where I was , a few people back in line, I could see she missed by about an inch. I'm glad for the girl's safety that the CM didn't let her on, but I understand the father's frustration that she was OK'ed at the start of the queue, and then not let on the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter