Is there a trick to being chosen at Olivanders?

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
My DS like many other kids really, really really wants to be picked. He is 6 yrs old and a huge HP Fan. Are there any tricks to 'help' him. Thanks. I've been telling him that he probably won't get picked that its fun to go anyway blah blah blah... But it would really mean a lot to him if he was picked.

Generally speaking, you need to be in the wizard's eyeline. If he's standing on the stairs, and the person letting you inside tells you to head directly to the wall in front of the stairs, stand there. If he's at the counter, stand in front of him towards the left next to the steps. But of course, that's if you are the first ones in in your group. If not, then someone else will have grabbed those spots and they aren't inclined to reward pushiness (physically speaking).

Of course, there really is no way to guarantee anything. They don't go by age, they don't go by who's the most energetic or excited, no gender is more likely. But know that if your kid isn't playing along, they'll turn to someone else who will play along.

My recommendation, tell your kid it's not going to happen, and then let them have the more magical experience if it does.

Wow. I am so glad we didn't get in. I would have been very upset if I waited and the kids didn't get the experience. I think we just thought everyone got it which is why I thought the line was so long. We bought our wands at the cart. Now the kids will be glad to hear we did.

Deb

I think we just thought everyone got it which is why I thought the line was so long.

Yeah - I think that's what most people in line think. We knew from reading the boards, but there were a lot of upset people in the "show" we attended because they thought each person would have a wand picked for them.

Both times we went the wandmaker chose a child in robes. It really did make it seem more magical for everyone and in both cases, the child was delighted. Just an idea. You don't have to spring for the hundred-dollar robes, just pick up cheap robes at Party City or wherever and tuck them in your pack. If I ever really wanted my child to be chosen, I would try that (she's a tween though and would be horrified if anyone drew attention to her, lol). Also, it doesn't hurt to go through the line more than once, that way the TMs have seen you before. Good luck!

One of our party was chosen this weekend. He was the youngest in the room and is 11. DH said he was pretty sure he would get picked because the group was all adults and he is small and looks younger than his age. He did think it was super cool!

This may be controversial but I hope they don't just pick children because they are small or cute or will have a better experience or so they think.

I'm taking my sister, who is 24, for her birthday and I would bet she knows more about Harry Potter than most people including children. She is even on set 3 of all the books because she has re-read the books so many times. (She has even prepared herself for a fun dual with a Slytherin student/TM) She began reading Harry Potter before Harry Potter mania started and probably before half of the children were even born. I just think it's kind of discriminatory to just choose kids - alot of adults are Harry Potter mad and would also love the opportunity to "be picked" to choose their wand. I just hope Universal recognise this and give "older kids" the chance to live their Harry Potter dream.

She is planning on going into Ollivanders time after time until she gets picked though - I will be deserting her at that point ;-)

I know what you're saying, MyBubbles. I'm a 26-year-old female and I've been reading the books since I was 14. I'm a huge fan, and I'll be going in two weeks with my friend who is also a big fan, and we'll be going for her birthday. We'll hit Ollivander's first thing, but that being said, neither one of us expects to be picked. I can understand why they would only pick children, especially since one person gets picked per show. It's a shame that there isn't a way for more people to experience having a wand 'pick' them, but I'm mainly excited that USO decided to add this extra element of theming at all. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been and seen an adult or older teen picked?

Thanks for all the advise. I am preparing my son for the fact he might not get picked. I will bring his robe thats a great idea. I wish there was a way more people could experience it.

I'm sure that during slower months, or in a year or so, they'll be able to give everyone a chance who wants it, but for now..... c'est la vie

You can still be "guided" to your wand by the TMs in the Owl Post shop and probably at the wand cart outside. It goes by birthday.

I'm sure that during slower months, or in a year or so, they'll be able to give everyone a chance who wants it, but for now..... c'est la vie

You can still be "guided" to your wand by the TMs in the Owl Post shop and probably at the wand cart outside. It goes by birthday.

Is there a list anywhere that lists the wands by birthdays? Just curious as to what mine would be.

This may be controversial but I hope they don't just pick children because they are small or cute or will have a better experience or so they think.

I'm taking my sister, who is 24, for her birthday and I would bet she knows more about Harry Potter than most people including children. She is even on set 3 of all the books because she has re-read the books so many times. (She has even prepared herself for a fun dual with a Slytherin student/TM) She began reading Harry Potter before Harry Potter mania started and probably before half of the children were even born. I just think it's kind of discriminatory to just choose kids - alot of adults are Harry Potter mad and would also love the opportunity to "be picked" to choose their wand. I just hope Universal recognise this and give "older kids" the chance to live their Harry Potter dream.

She is planning on going into Ollivanders time after time until she gets picked though - I will be deserting her at that point ;-)

Totally agree - I'm 27 and it would be so awesome to get picked! I read on another forum that on one occasion the shopkeeper chose a kid first, but he wasn't really into it, so they then chose an enthusiastic adult instead - so there's hope for me :lmao:

It's a shame that there isn't a way for more people to experience having a wand 'pick' them, but I'm mainly excited that USO decided to add this extra element of theming at all. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been and seen an adult or older teen picked?
Didn't see an adult or teen picked in the shows we went to, but one time 2 kids got picked. I thought that was great. Perhaps they'll continue to tweak things so that more people can get picked per show.

When we were there, my brother got picked. He turned 19 just the day before. I watched the show about.. 5 times now? Each time I watched, the person who got picked was the first one through the door. My brother was able to get his wand because he counted the amount of people in front of him and made sure he would be the first person in for the next show. So they do pick older kids, it's not just for children :).

When we were there the first week of June my daughter was chosen!! She is 12 and had purchased a Slytherin Robe the first day she was there. That day she also wore a button down shirt and Slytherin Tie. She was very prepared but also knew she might not get chosen. Dh and Dd headed for the shop 1st thing and they ended up being 1st in line so the guy inside stared at her as soon as she walked in. She was thrilled!!

It's okay if a child doesn't get picked. Kids shouldn't automatically get something just because they want it. Our group had a little kid the parents pushed up to the front of the counter and it was clear they were expecting to get picked. The actor picked a teenage girl standing in the back who was very surprised and a bit embarrassed. That was way more magical than some little brat getting picked just because he feels entitled. You should go for the experience, and not the expectation of being picked. You don't buy anything in Ollivander's anyway, it's just a show. You exit into the Owl Post and that's where you buy wands and other stuff.

I viewed on youtube a few adults getting picked for the experience, so there's hope for all of you! ha! Good luck to everyone! ;)

I don't think the robes are a sure thing. My daughter wore her Gryffindor robes and carried a stuffed Hedwig but wasn't picked.
A boy in a t-shirt that came in after us got picked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter