• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there a purpose to all the water around disney world at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the reasons that WDW was built the way it was is because Walt Disney hated all of the urban sprawl that was built up around Disneyland. He wanted to have enough land to do what he wanted to do without the mess that Anaheim became. That is why there is no direct access to the MK for cars. You have to take the ferry or the monorail or WDW buses to get there. I personally think that the water areas in all of WDW are beautiful. In fact, WDW is governed by the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

I'm sorry..... did I just read a post suggesting we plow over a lake with concrete because it might have an alligator?

What next? Level the rain forest due to mosquitoes?

Talk about over the top killing the planet.

in any case, I am pretty sure it was part of the contract that Disney has to leave a certain amount of land undeveloped and I think lakes and forests count.

Oh and beware those trees and undeveloped Forrest areas. They contain snakes.

Great post. Totally nailed it.

I mentioned this on another thread... Does anyone have any idea where the gators will end up if they no longer have access to the water where their primary source of food is? What keeps them off the beaches also blocks their path to the water. So where will they end up? Perhaps outside the door to your resort? Or maybe lumbering up Main Street USA? Standing behind your car in the parking lot? Finding their way to the food carts and exposed restaurants? Again, to calm people they have knee jerked their way into building a fence around the lagoons, with no real thought about what will happen and where nature will go to feed themselves. It looks like a way to keep nature out of the populated areas, but, it equally will keep them in and hungry. Do the math!
Answers are in multiple other places in the threads, but here goes.

Humans are generally not prey for gators. The horrible tragic accident that occurred had much more to do with the fact that they were at the waters edge where gators hang out. Hungry gators are not trying to figure out how to get you.

Gators are water creatures. When you see them on dry land they are on their way back to water. They are way more afraid of us then we are of them. Seeing them strolling up Main Street (away from water), or just chillin' in the middle of a dry parking lot (away from water), or making their way to a food cart (away from water), or hanging out next to your hotel doorway (away from water) are all highly unlikely because they do not like human crowds, even if they're hungry. They typically hang out near the waters edge and when hungry they will hunt in that area.

The new fencing installed is posts and ropes, lots of room for gators to crawl through when they want to get back to the water, which is pretty much always. So you need not worry that hungry gators are going to get stuck inside those new fances and start looking for food on dry land. Not gonna happen.

I've gotta think there's got to be some engineering solutions that could be made to both keep the gators and other dangerous vermin out of the lake and make it safe for swimming so the beaches are all viable again.

The problem is the WDW heads don't think on that scale or want to undergo that much effort (because it surely would have an environmental impact of some sort). They've got the money engine and they're just trying to figure out how to keep it going and speed it up.

If Florida hasn't worked out how to keep them from coming up on the lawns of residents, why would WDW do this?

I mean, even despite the environmental devastation this would wreak.

and then a gator hears humans and goes over to find food and finds....a little boy who gets murdered?

Hey now. Humans *murder*. The alligator was trying to survive. As ghastly and horrid as the result was, the alligator didn't *murder* the wee one.

Did you know the Everglades start in Orlando? Yes, the everglades in S Florida waterways connects all the way to Orlando. That is scary!!

Scary? I think it's awesome.

And get the gators out. if people want to see gators, they can go to gator land or go to the everglades.

See above. When in Orlando, you basically are in the Everglades. :) (here in my area we have signs reminding us that all drains go to the Sound...same concept but in reverse...all small bodies of water came from big ones, and big bodies of water have things in them...)

The original plans had this water designed serving many functions and that has been lost over the years.

Cant believe this thread...

Anyway new signage is up:

Could they have made the alligator any cuter? Kind of looks like the very sad stuffed dead baby alligators earlier in this thread.

The snake next to it is huge. I'm definitely more afraid of snakes from that picture than I am of the cute smiling alligators.

The Dad said, "well we're going to the MAGIC kingdom, and you can't just walk all the way to a magical kingdom. You have to take a journey to get there, and getting there is half the fun."

:)

Then the boy turns 14 and does a WDW Half and realizes you CAN walk into MK. :)

All the screaming to remove the gators ....... which is absolutely ridiculous ..... Disney is closely monitored and larger gators can only be handled by the State at their discretion.
Sorry, this is not the case for Disney.

In the local news coverage, a representative of Florida Fish & Wildlife Dept. made it clear that Disney has a special agreement with the state that allows them to remove gators at their own discretion. When specifically asked what was the last time Disney had removed a gator, he said he did not know but it happens on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter