Is there a neighborhood to avoid when renting a private home?

Kellydelly

DIS Veteran
I just put out feelers for a rental for December and got many offers, most of them seem to be in newer developments that are not so close to the theme parks. Has anyone had a bad experience or found a home to be just too way out there? I found a home that's very nice but it's actually in Haines City (Southern Dunes sub, I think). I don't know whether to just pick a nice, newer home and not worry about the extra 10 minutes or so or pick an older home that's closer (like in Lindfields or Oak Ridge off of 192). Any input? TIA :) .

that is personally - but means more to you your time (getting back and forth) or your money. Closer is more expensive.

only you can decide.

I go alot - so I would go with further away and save some cash. but if this is your first trip definitely go with closer.

lots of Disney employee live in Davenport if that helps.

No, this isn't our first trip. We have rented homes in the Lindfields, Oak Island, and Lakeside. We have learned to scope out where the house is in conjuction to the parks after our first rental seemed to be wayyyyyyy out there! My husband doesn't mind driving, which is nice. Sometimes it's a drag at the end of a long day to have to haul yourself even farther home, though. Of course none of the rentals are anywhere near Universal, where we will spend most of our time.

I personally like the neighborhoods closer to Disney 192 area! But the first home I rented was in Hampton Lakes and we were married there so I have a serious soft spot in my heart for Hampton Lakes.
Again is just a personal choice I am sure if you find a great home with all the perks you like you will be more than happy!
I have never been at Christmas so there may be more traffic than normal, so that may be a question to see what advice you get on that one and that could help with your decision.

From one who has travelled 27 to Haines City many times during the last 20 years, I can tell you that 10 -15 years ago it was 15 minutes from Southern Dunes to Disney, but with addition of several stop signs and lots of road construction it now a lot longer time wise...In a few years when and if 27 is widened it may help...the big new interchange at I-4 helps, but it is still quite a drive and from what I can see the homes at SDunes are not that much less expensive than bargains at the 192 properties.

Now if you love golf and want to play golf, SDunes is one of the great courses in the area for a moderate price...

Good Luck...Ted

My problem is that there are just too many choices! I received a lot of offers for the week I need and narrowing down the house I want is harder than I want it to be! Everyone has very nice homes and the amenities they offer are very similar. It's all about location now. I think :confused3 .

It is a tough choice but its a fun choice thats for sure! You will find the perfect home and have a great time! Keep us posted on where you decide to stay and how your trip is!

Personally, I wouldn't go any farther out than Lindfields, and that's already farther than necessary as far as I'm concerned. We've rented in Lindfields several times, but once Windsor Palms came along, we switched to there. Staying there next month. Prices are similar and I see no reason to go all the way down to Lindfields anymore for an older house.

I have to second Windsor Palms, what a fabulous place! We stayed there with a group of 13 in a 5 bedroom, 4 different families, and never felt crowded. Its also a fabulous resort, you don't even have to do the parks some days, so much to do there, in a great location, the houses were fabulous, (stayed 3 different times so far), can't say enough about it. Also the price for the week was very reasonable, your family could rent a couple homes there with 25 people. Whenever we go down with a large group thats where we go. Have fun! :goodvibes

We were just there in Sept. to visit friends. Checked out the pool and clubhouse. It is very attractive and 8 minutes to 535. Only 5 minutes from Super Walmart and a lot of other restaurants and shopping. We thought it was very safe and private. Check it out. Good luck with your choice. I have some pics if you would like to see. :rolleyes:

I have stayed in a half dozen different homes and neighbourhoods and all have advantages and disadvantages.

The 2 furthest out neighourhoods were Westridge on the 27 (when it was still half built in 1995) and Loma Vista on CR54 (off the 27 close to Champions Gate). Westridge at the time seemed a long way out but further development now means it isn't that far really.

Loma Vista also seemed really really far out if you used the 27. However, we discovered that by using I-4 via Champions gate (which had really just opened) we could drive from their to Disney via I-4 and then World drive in less than 15 minutes. Disadvantage was a feeling of isolation, particularly at night.

Close to the East End of the 192 i have stayed at Chatham park, Winward cay and Eagle Pointe (also when the estate was still under construction ). Chatham park and Winward cay are very close to the 192 and therefore shops and restaurants are very close at hand, but the traffic on the 192 can be horrendous and also due to these being older properties some of them look a bit tired and in need of a refurb.

Eagle Pointe was lovely, not too far out on Poinciana Boulevard, about 5-10 minutes from the 192 at most.

Best by far for me though was Emerald Island, literally 5 minutes from the gates at Animal Kingdom using the right shortcut and right behind a lot of shops and restaurants on the 192 at formosa gardens.

My own personal preference is for something reasonably close to the 192 and would suggest Emerald Island, Thousand Island Oaks, Formosa Gardens, Lindfields etc in that area.

The top 3 I would pick would be Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, or Emerald Island, I'm biased though, I liked Windsor Hills so much we bought a townhome there! It is 5 minutes from Disney though...right off of Old Lake Wilson and 192, the others are pretty close too.

you can search neighborhoods specifically on some of the sites and see what you like the best about the neighborhoods.
Here is a list of what is off 192
Indian Creek
Formossa Garden's (Gated)
Rolling Hills
Arcadia (Gated)
Windsor Palms (Gated)(Guard)
Oak Island Cove
Emerald Island (Gated) (Guard)
Sunset Lakes (Gated)
Lindfields
Indian Ridge
Indian Ridge Oaks
I really don't know anything about Windsor Hills, but from what I have seen of the homes they do look nice!
I think you will be happy with any choice!

FLParadisevilla said:
I really don't know anything about Windsor Hills, but from what I have seen of the homes they do look nice!

It's a brand new version of Windsor Palms...but newer and slightly closer..right off of Old Lake Wilson Road and 192. Built by Pulte Homes in 2005 it consists of 2/3 bedroom condos, 3br/3ba townhomes + pool, and 4-5-6 bedroom homes with pool...and an awesome resort pool / clubhouse facility, and it's gated and guarded.

We looked for homes in Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, and Emerald Island before buying a place in WH this summer, personally I think it's one of nicest ones ( I can't comment on other areas though cause I haven't been to them! ) EI is nice too, but didn't have townhomes in our price range.

When shopping for a vacation home, you should start by deciding how many bedrooms you want / how many guests you're going to have.

We are told that around Xmas/New Years/Thanksgiving..any of the super peak seasons, traffic in the area can be a nightmare, and if you're further out, what could normally be a 15 min commute to the parks can be over an hour!!

I told our prop mgr "thanks for the warning" and we plan on trying to avoid these periods personally as much as possible! (We hate crowds).

I just put out feelers for a rental for December and got many offers, most of them seem to be in newer developments that are not so close to the theme parks. Has anyone had a bad experience or found a home to be just too way out there? I found a home that's very nice but it's actually in Haines City (Southern Dunes sub, I think). I don't know whether to just pick a nice, newer home and not worry about the extra 10 minutes or so or pick an older home that's closer (like in Lindfields or Oak Ridge off of 192). Any input? TIA :) .

I think that it is important to be near the Parks as who wants to spend a lot of your holiday in a car driving back and forward. There are plenty of new communities within 10 mins drive, including Terra verde where we own a place. We had always stayed near the Old town on the 192 and when TV was being built in 2004 we were attracted to the place as we would be in familiear territory. Southern Dunes is built by the same builders as our place on Terra Verde and you will find it is beautiful, but there is no doubt that it is a lot further away from parks. However, if you are going to Florida to play golf then this is a the place for you as it has its own golf course.

It is nice to have a newere property to stay at, but the most important thing is how far away it is. Remember newer communities often have building work going on still on site, and you can get teething problems with places over the initial first year. We had a leak in our pool in the first year and things at the place have settled down now that we have owned our place for 4 years.

Sue
www.evansvilla.co.uk

I have rented at Lindfiels and liked it very much that we are going back this year. My first conceration is the pool and I mean private. I don't want to see my neighbors pool I have found some of the newer developments are so close together and the pools are back to back. I also find Lindfields close enough to everything. I also stayed at Cresent Lakes and it about a 15 min. drive from WDW loved the villa but pools were too close together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter